Borden Mountaineer Creedmoor

Was requested to build a lightweight carry all day rifle using the following components:

Borden Mountaineer action.

PVD coated bolt, action and recoil lug in right bolt, left eject configuration.

Barrel is Hardy 8 twist Carbon wrapped finished at 20" chambered in 6.5mm Creedmoor

Bottom metal Tier One with mag release within trigger guard

Stock - Mcmillan HTG ajustable, which has added flush cups and fitting for Spartan Carbon fibre bipod

Trigger is Triggertech unit set at 2.5lbs

Stock is fully pillar bedded with Devcon

Action finished off with Talley Bases and Ringset, which I believe will have a S&B Polar scope when it is delivered to its owner.

Build weighs 8 lbs

Images of the finished article:

IMG-0255.jpg

IMG-0264.jpg

IMG-0258.jpg

IMG-0260.jpg

IMG-0259.jpg

IMG-0263.jpg

IMG-0265.jpg

IMG-0256.jpg

IMG-0267.jpg

IMG-0269.jpg

IMG-0268.jpg

Nice action and stock , but whats the benefit of carbon barrel ? Weight saving ? 

Weight saving for the barrel - the client had hoped to obtain a different make of stock but the orientation / spec wasn’t available in the time frame they wanted 

Had we been able to use the stock concerned the rifle would have been sub 6lbs 

Regardless of this the rifle in its finished form is easy to pick up with the pistol grip one handed and move to another target should the occasion arise which for the intended use it probably will - so meets the required spec 

Low weight, accuracy, portability and pointable 

Very Nice Andy as usual. Love your little touch with the carbon strip on the cut-out.

I think I have the sister barrel. Let me know how it shoots or what it likes. What does the stock weigh? I was hoping to shave a few hundred grams off on my build.

edi

Stock - pillar bedded with extra swivels etc weighs 3.8lb

Im sure if you use an PSE E tac or Hunter you would be at least 1 - 2 lb less 

Its surprising how much heavier the McMillan is when compared to one of your stocks and I believe yours are stiffer / stronger.

Carbon inlet finishers have been laid on the ejection port and under the bolt stop release - just little extras to complete the build   My painting skills couldn’t match the colours of the stock (I wouldn’t even attempt it) so I’ve added the carbon layer as a touch of “bling”

Nice job as always Andy. I like a gun that ejects to the left, keeps the cases inside the truck. An edge tech stock would have suited that and kept weight down. I might go carbon next season on my PRL rifle.