.338 Lapua or .300 Norma Magnum

Unfamiliar with the length of DTA mags, but before you go .338LM route, double check how long you’ll be able to load your bullets. You don’t want a short mag length forcing you to seat those long bullets (the 300g are long) deep into the powder column.

Seating 300g bullets out of the powder column when using non CIP length mags was one of the key design considerations of the .338NM & .300NM. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were I to build an ELR rifle I’d choose a solid action

no need for magazines 

Thing is the OP is using a DTA...he not looking for a dedicated ELR on a solid action.

But I do agree, one can single load. But not sure if the OP wants to single load. As he’s using a repeater, one can assume that he’ll still want the benefits of using the mag?!? 

Still think it’s a valid consideration to bear in mind....if using the mag is indeed still his intention. I’ve seen a few people get a .338lm only to realise the long bullets they want to use don’t fit...so have to resort to single loading, something they didn’t want/plan to do.

The ability to use a magazine isn't essential: when using the .338 or 300 NM to pop the buttons off Farmer Giles' waistcoat it'll be single aimed shots rather than blazing away as quickly as possible. 

The DTA is the action we already have, it's a switch barrel and the bullpup style will allow for a long barrel in a manageable gun.  That said, a dedicated long range rifle isn't totally out of the question but that then raises the issue of what type to thrown onto the question pile alongside calibre...

I have a Barnard PL action with a Truflite 32' 1:10 tube.  Dolphin chassis with a folding stock.  Did you not clock it at Eskdalemuir?  A badgers' eyes don't work too good in the light😁.

Seemed to work quite well with 300gn Lapua I thought.  Single loads only.  The Barnard trigger is excellent.  The whole lot is pretty heavy but that makes for a comfortable shoot.

We’re I inclined I would start with a Barnard P and go from there

I was sat on a PChey action for a forum member for a couple of years who decided not to build in the end - shame I don’t still have it 

Anyway - Barnard P, Bartlein barrel or equivalent quality , chassis type stock

Chambering - 338 of whatever variety you choose or 375 cal

That’s the way I would go for ELR 

Would use high BC solids 

Warner’s possibly or GS customs modified with a band to induce stability at the nose (as per Jim Boatwrights design)  

I've made quite a few now, usually for the AXMC, and will be trying one myself when my new AXMC arrives.

In .300NM, What attracts me, is several things.

1. You could use it at Bisley, or other place that won't allow .338lm.

2. There is a huge range of really Gucci .30 calibre bullets in the heavier end available.

3. Lapua make brass for it [ yes, they also make .338] . What surprised me, was, out of the blue one day, they announced 300 NM and .338NM brass.....without anyone really knowing what it was.

Wonder why that was ? 😏

Regarding guns, as previously mentioned, mine will be on an AXMC.

I've built several .338's lately on the excellent Defiance Deviant action though.

These are CIP length, and go perfectly into the AX l/A CIP chassis. Which has an excellent magazine system, and doesn't look like some left over scaffolding.

MDNbanf.jpg

zhLrVrn.jpg

Have these bullets got Boatrights cannula ring ?

Yup

the same thing John

think it’s been “adopted” by Warner / Tubb from an research carried out Mr Boatright 

28 minutes ago, Ronin said:

Have these bullets got Boatrights cannula ring ?

A cannula is a needle and valve they stick in your hand to draw blood, a ring around a bullet is a cannelure

Cannula

1490264714-becton-dickinson-venflon-iv-c

Cannelure

fir_m10_t06_09_d.3.jpg

On 5/23/2019 at 10:03 PM, meles meles said:

Come on, bald monkeys. Back on topic. .338" or .300" Norma Magnum ?

33XC Dies not entirely off topic. A problem I experienced on my last outing with the 300NM and of the second firing of the brass was that the base of the case just forward of the case head base was not getting sized down back to original 'virgin' brass size, this caused several cases (approx 15%) to be hard or impossible to chamber. Apparently a problem experienced by others shooting 300NM from forum research, a solution offered byDavid Tubb was that his 33XC spec custom resizing die will 'small base' the 300NM just that little bit more than standard dies; well it sure does and the extra squeeze looks to have solved the problem. 😀