.338 Lapua or .300 Norma Magnum

Gents,

We're all set to buy a .338 Lapua bolt and barrel for our DTA but have now been recommended to go for the .300 Norma Magnum instead. Having read a little about it, we're tempted to swap. It seems to offer similar performance , lacking only in a little energy at the far end. As we intend to shoot paper with it rather than elephants , that won't matter. Is there any real world experience here that could sway our decision one way or the other ? We plan to shoot at 1,000 to 2,000 yards with it and will be using hand loaded rather than factory ammunition.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is one advantage of the Norma that you can shoot it at Bisley?

Using Hornady 4DOF doppler radar calc:    Running a 30 cal 220gn SMK at 3000fps gives 92.3 moa drop at 2000yds.  .338 300gn SMK at 2850fps = 84.8 moa drop at 2000yds. Not a huge amount of difference.

You could always look at either with this bolt face or choose 33xc or 37xc 

5 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

Barrel life will also be significantly less with the .300NM. 

Yes, that's one thing we don't like about the 300 NM from what we have read. Though as we expect to shoot perhaps 200 to 300 rounds maximum per year in this calibre maybe it isn't a show stopper. 

14 minutes ago, meles meles said:

Yes, that's one thing we don't like about the 300 NM from what we have read. Though as we expect to shoot perhaps 200 to 300 rounds maximum per year in this calibre maybe it isn't a show stopper. 

I have the parent cartridge (.338NM) and tbh, once you get behind the big boom the first time, I can guarantee you’ll want to shoot it more than 200-300 rounds per year. It’s just too much fun 😁 

I have a AXMC in 338lm and just had a 300nm made for it. ive not shot the 300 at distance yet, the 300 has slightly less recoil not that the 338 is unpleasant to shoot. Trying to find load data for the 300 is a bit tricky. with the 300 being a 30 cal there are more places you can shoot it, mine is also for deer and aolq.

I do know of 2 or 3 others that are going to have 300nm barrels made so hopefully there will be a bit more information in the uk soon.

Have a 300NM, find it fun to shoot, not running it silly speeds, 2930 with the 230g Berger OTM’s. only gone to 1450 yards so far, it held elevation but lack of anything to read the (gusty) wind had left and right ‘variation’.

Once more familiar/sorted would like to try the 2000 yards

Have a second barrel on the way, would like/hope to pass 1000 rounds on a barrel 😳

Terry

Managed to get 3100 FPS with 225 Grain ELD Match elevation predictions out to 1450 yards were spot on. It really makes those 12” round steel gongs spin when hit 😀

Hoping to get some 198 Grain Flatline bullets to try later on.

51 minutes ago, terryh said:

Have a 300NM, find it fun to shoot, not running it silly speeds, 2930 with the 230g Berger OTM’s. only gone to 1450 yards so far, it held elevation but lack of anything to read the (gusty) wind had left and right ‘variation’.

Once more familiar/sorted would like to try the 2000 yards

Have a second barrel on the way, would like/hope to pass 1000 rounds on a barrel 😳

Terry

Roughly what load are you running to get that speed?

Shendy

Actual load is 89.5g RS80 (aka Reloader 33). Norma brass, Fed LR mag match primer. Seated to fit mag (can go measure if you like?)

This is in my rifle, which has a 1:9 Krieger barrel, from memory 27”

For ref. tried N170, accurate but a bit slow, N570 got the speed but not the consistency. third powder (that is going to be available i.e. not H1000 etc.) was the RS80/Re33 which appeared to be working for others namely in the US.

T

10 hours ago, meles meles said:

Hmmm, certainly food for thought there...

The nagging doubt though is barrel life.

Brock,

Perhaps the 30 Nosler then, but think that’s is a std mag bolt face?

None of these cartridges are going to be that ‘barrel friendly’

T

If you shot a 7mm or 30 cal magnum barrel life would be 900 to 1500 rounds tops (accurate life)

The 338 is less overbore than the smaller magnums so should  see more than that before the barrel is toast

The simple fact is, barrels are expendable items and if you want to shoot something that is overbore (be that a 243 or a magnum ) then it’s a fact of life 

Being a tight pawed Yorkshire Badger, we do of course have a Plan B: keep on utilising the amazing generosity of you oomans who are always offering us a chance to shoot your .338 Lapua Magnums and thus getting over a thousand shots without actually buying our own barrel. 😏

13 hours ago, terryh said:

Shendy

Actual load is 89.5g RS80 (aka Reloader 33). Norma brass, Fed LR mag match primer. Seated to fit mag (can go measure if you like?)

This is in my rifle, which has a 1:9 Krieger barrel, from memory 27”

For ref. tried N170, accurate but a bit slow, N570 got the speed but not the consistency. third powder (that is going to be available i.e. not H1000 etc.) was the RS80/Re33 which appeared to be working for others namely in the US.

T

Thank you, im using slightly less rs80 but may try a bit higher see how far before I  get pressure signs.im 20 thou of but using a 338 mag so fit fine but mainly single feed anyway.

6 hours ago, Gluv said:

As a matter of interest, what barrel life can you expect from the .338 lapua? I'm over a thousand already 

Gluv 🇬🇧

best get it used up and stick a 1:10 on so you can shoot dem 300 pills Bro!

6 hours ago, meles meles said:

Being a tight pawed Yorkshire Badger, we do of course have a Plan B: keep on utilising the amazing generosity of you oomans who are always offering us a chance to shoot your .338 Lapua Magnums and thus getting over a thousand shots without actually buying our own barrel. 😏

Indeed Mr Brock.  We oomans look forward to helping you use up your many and various bang sticks too.

8 hours ago, Gluv said:

Meh, 250's seem to be getting out there just fine and I have 300 mils of elevation to play with 🙂🇬🇧

Ps don't forget to vote ukip tomorrow 👍

Why waste a vote? I look forward to the  2nd referendum 😁🇪🇺

.338 Lap Mag for my vote.  However I will be happy to have a go of your .300 Norman if you swing that way.