Correct way to clean a centrefire barrell

As the title suggests I am looking for advice on the correct procedure to clean a centrefire after a day's shooting in order to prevent copper fouling and to maintain accuracy. I have read that more rifles' accuracy are destroyed by incorrect cleaning so I would like to get advice from the centrefire shooters on here.

must have's.

x1 bore guide

x1 long enough cleaning rod

x2 mops ( x1 one size under sized, x1 one size over sized)

x1 jag preferably spear tip

x1 bottle tetra

x1 bottle of 009 the pear drop smelling one but dont sniff twoooo long ;)

x1 roll of cloth

insert bore guide

establish a size of cut cloth thats a snug fit but can be pushed down bore

soak undersized mop in tetra and mop out bore in a back and forth motion until mop comes out the muzzle ( done like this to make tetra foamy and covers everywhere) and remove mop when it comes out muzzle

leave 10 mins then attach jag, spear a cloth and push down bore until out and remove(tetra will have turned blue

replace jag with mop, soak and repeat

my guns typically take three to four mops of tetra

inspect bore with a bright torch and you will see streaks of copper glowing untill all is removed

dry out bore with one patch then carefully remove bore guide and dry out chamber ( I use a pistol cleaning rod for this and have cut a slit down the middle a parker hale jag to enable me to slide in oversized patches

just like the shotgun ones,but used to use long rod and wrap cloth around jag)

replace bore guide when chamber is dry and remember to wipe bore guide clean

push down a couple more dry patches to ensure everything is pushed out

now remove bore guide and soak oversized mop in 009 (oo9 leaves a rust preventative film in bore even if you dry right out) and swirl around in chamber to soak it, replace bore guide in wet chamber and put more 009 on mop a flush out bore a couple of times to wash out any tetra

remove guid, dry chamber right out and guide, replace guide and dry bore right out

wipe muzzle clean being carefull not to push any crap back into bore

store gun......simple

Guest Smeagle

Mate there are several different ways of cleaning a rifle barrel, nearly everyone has an opinion on it. The key elements are that you have to keep it simple and quick. This is important as no matter how long the day has been or how tired you are you will still do it as a part of your routine. You also don't need to much in the way of complex kit, again keep it simple that way you will never run out of the basics.

Bore Guide, the type that has a rubber end and will seal in the breach, a decent rod either stainless or plastic coated and it must be over length and the right diameter, if it is to short it will do more damage and if it is to thin it will bend and scrape. Copper solvent Hoppes Benchrest and No 9, copper brushes and a pin jag with patches are all that you need.

The way I do it is this, and the reasons are these.

Push a clean patch through to get rid of the soot so that the solvent can get to the bore. If it is really dirty do it twice.

Patch with solvent, then leave for ten to fifteen mins as you clean the bolt etc.

Then a copper brush with solvent on and scrub twenty or so times, make sure that the brush exits entirely. This is a bone of contention some say don't exit the crown, however the crown is not as delicate as some think, it is designed to have a hard projectile pass through it under pressure, and if you put a white towel at the end you will see how much crap comes out, now you don't want to be dragging that back along your bore.

Then patch out until the patch is clean. This should take twenty mins at most.

I live in a dry dusty climate and therefore don't use oil, but if going into storage put an oiled patch through and don't forget to put a clean patch through before you use it, finally store the firearm either flat or mussel down to prevent the oil running into the action.

Hope this helps.

All shooters have differing cleaning regimes, there is however a correct procedure but how you go about this procedure is the individuals choice.

This is the procedure my mates and myself use

1. Remove powder fouling

2. Attack any copper fouling

3. Neutralise copper remover

4. Condition Bore.

Ian.

what I learned very quickly is find something that works and get a routine a stick too it, if you use a bore guide and one piece rod and a bit of care you cant really go too far wrong, you just need to find a slovent that works for you and your barrel, my routine is quite easy as I discovered wipeout bore foam I know some peopel dont believe in the stuff, but trust me it works very, very well, my routine is

5 patches of wipeout acclerator to take out teh worst of the carbon, then leave the bore guide in (to prevent foam getting into the action and trigger) sit the rifle up on its butt and spray foam down the bore until you it comes out the bore guide, then leave it in the cradle for a while(usually an hour) come back and just patch it out usually 10-15 patches and shes shining, then an oily patch, if I have been at the range and put 30-40 rounds down her ill give her 2 goings over with the wipeout just for good masure but it never seems to need it anyhow.

I use a lucus bore guide which I got made by mike lucas in the usa, he makes them calibre and action specific and also asks for your cleaning rod diameter as his rods have a rear guide bush on them which are just 0.010 over the size of the rod to better support the rod and prevent it flexing and rubbing on the barrel as much.

I also use dewey coated rods.

I wouldnt use wipeout for barrel run in though as youll need to clean quickly to shoot again, how much cleaning your barrel needs will also depend on your barrel so barrels are just harder to clean.

Butches bore shine also works quite well if you dont want to go the bore foam route (if you do go the bore foam route dont use forests bore or birchwood and casey foam as these are only rip offs of the original wipeout and I am told dont work half as good)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You have asked a good one, you will probably get 101 different ways because so many folks think there way is the right way, just remember you can polish a barrel out before you shoot it out, my method is similar to Silent's but I only clean mine every now and then (approx 150 rounds) but that is my rifle and that is my way do what works for you is what I say, but then as there are one or two on here will tell you I am a fumb ducker and no nothing. :blink:

Archived