Scope Rail Bedding Material Options

gruntus

21 minutes ago, Brillo said:

I don’t really want to extend this already long post, but what is tge advantage of bedding a scope rail? Surely if it fits, it fits.

If it fits without distortion I would think there's no advantage. 

In my case its an old Parker Hale 1200 (Mauser action) with an aluminum rail. When fitting the rail you can easily run paper underneath the lugs.

Not having a machined face to face finish to start isn't ideal. This could potentially affect (distort) the rail when pulling down to the correct torque if there are only a few contact points, additionally having a large heavy scope interacting under recoil stresses on top of this doesn't feel right either given the size of the screws used and minimal contact area.

Fitting with a bedding material provides a large contact area perfectly matched to the profile of the rail and the action hence spreading the load evenly across a larger surface area when the screws are torqued down. Ultimately this should prevent/reduce any unwanted movement or undue stresses on single points of contact. 

Will I notice a difference? Who knows?  Will I feel better knowing its "right"? Absolutely! 😊

Also meant to mention that the Kiwi clear polish worked a treat and Edi's advice on using WD40 on a cotton bud for wiping off the excess worked a treat!

All the best

😊

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2019 at 9:01 AM, gruntus said:

Thanks Edi, Looks like two coats of clear kiwi it is then!!! 👍

Just to confirm, 1 X  application of clear kiwi, a buff off and then a second application without polishing the second layer?

I know I'm making this harder than it probably need to be, I just don't want to c**k it up or permanently fix it to the action! 😉 😁

ATB

G

No, 1 coat and leave to dry. 2nd coat over the top allow to dry - then apply your bedding. 

You can very lightly buff off the second layer. Don't over do it. I sometimes just leave the second layer as is. Of course no lumps of wax.

Sometimes to ease the mind one can do a test on some scrap pieces of metal.

edi