Jump to content
UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
gruntus

Scope Rail Bedding Material Options

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

I am looking to bed a scope rail on my rifle.

I had a look on the forum and number one choice for bedding actions appears to be Devcon amongst a few others as per this thread http://ukvarminting.com/topic/10387-rifle-stock-bedding-compound/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-345033

Given that I am only looking to bed the rail are there any "smaller" volume options like Araldite that would be just as suitable? Example:  https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/adhesives/araldite-rapid-steel-tubes-2x-15ml

I am happy to shell out for Devcon or Delta Quick Steel if required/recommended, just wondered if there are any other commercial options off the shelf in smaller volumes that would be suitable for the work.

As always thanks in advance and appreciate your advice.

All the best

G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gruntus,

Out of interest how big are the gaps you are looking to fill i.e. is the rail that poor a fit?

Brgds T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve always used a very light smear of Devcon to bond rails to actions (where necessary)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you want to bed it or bond it? I’ve bedded them with devcon before, but always used release agent on the action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Devcon is all well and good, but unless you use a lot of it, ie regular bedding jobs, you’re unlikely to have a pot of it lying around, and at £30 a kit then that’s an expensive way to get just the tiny amount you need to bed a scope rail

Araldite works, as will the dreaded JB Weld, but any 2 part adhesive will do the job

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quicksteel gives a nice finish and is easy to work with

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bradders said:

Devcon is all well and good, but unless you use a lot of it, ie regular bedding jobs, you’re unlikely to have a pot of it lying around, and at £30 a kit then that’s an expensive way to get just the tiny amount you need to bed a scope rail

Araldite works, as will the dreaded JB Weld, but any 2 part adhesive will do the job

+1.  I also put a coat of hard wax on the action so the epoxy don't stick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies Gents,

I was really only looking to bed it rather than bond it to give it a good mating surface area. I can easily slip paper in under the mounts in certain areas which isn't optimal.

I have some JB Weld at hand 😨but could easily get some Araldite or Quicksteel instead if that's a preferred/better option?

For a release agent I have read/seen kiwi shoe wax can be used on the action and screws. Is that acceptable/ok or is there a better/preferred substance?

All the best

G  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like Bradders says, I just use Araldite. No release agent or anything complicated. If you need to remove the rail at a later date, just warm it up slightly, which will also remove any residue.

Triffid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Triffid said:

Like Bradders says, I just use Araldite. No release agent or anything complicated. If you need to remove the rail at a later date, just warm it up slightly, which will also remove any residue.

Triffid

Yep

Araldite holds together the Sydney Opera House, Coventry Cathedral, the Lamborghini Aventador, the Audi R8.....and also the deHavilland Mosquito

One of the best composites ever created

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pedant..............😊

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Typical! There is a standard, rapid and steel Araldite available........

Anyone used the steel one or just go standard?

Cheers

G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, all Araldite products work well, always manage to stick my fingers together without problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want intimate surface contact, ie a gap filler, I'd go for the steel powdered version.

But beware, it'll still stick like s++t to a blanket, so a liberal application of boot polish on the receiver is advised if you ever want to get it off again.

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bradders said:

Yep

Araldite holds together the Sydney Opera House, Coventry Cathedral, the Lamborghini Aventador, the Audi R8.....and also the deHavilland Mosquito

One of the best composites ever created

I am afraid, early mosquitos were bonded with cascamite, later ones with aerolite. Araldite was invented in 1946, post most mosquitoes.

 

David.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again gents,

For a release agent would there be any issues using Ambersil silicon mould release agent?

Obviously taping off and covering any parts not intended for the bonding area and giving it a really good solvent clean afterwards.

Cheers

G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Kalahari said:

I am afraid, early mosquitos were bonded with cascamite, later ones with aerolite. Araldite was invented in 1946, post most mosquitoes.

 

David.

That all sounds familiar having read many ancient "Woodworker" magazines

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gruntus said:

Thanks again gents,

For a release agent would there be any issues using Ambersil silicon mould release agent?

Obviously taping off and covering any parts not intended for the bonding area and giving it a really good solvent clean afterwards.

Cheers

G

sure, but wax polish is cheaper if you need to go out and buy it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, gruntus said:

Thanks again gents,

For a release agent would there be any issues using Ambersil silicon mould release agent?

Obviously taping off and covering any parts not intended for the bonding area and giving it a really good solvent clean afterwards.

Cheers

G

I have seen tears in the eyes of those that used mould release agent that was made for plastic injection moulding. Mould release agent for hot thermo plastic it is not made for composites . I don't know which type you have but if it is the injection moulding type you should be careful.  Clear Kiwi shoe wax applied twice normally works well.

We never... ever tape off parts for bedding as epoxy can creep under the tape unseen. We use an epoxy with long pot life and wipe off excess resin. WD40 on a rag or cotton bud for final removing of traces before curing that is.

edi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Edi, Looks like two coats of clear kiwi it is then!!! 👍

Just to confirm, 1 X  application of clear kiwi, a buff off and then a second application without polishing the second layer?

I know I'm making this harder than it probably need to be, I just don't want to c**k it up or permanently fix it to the action! 😉 😁

ATB

G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, gruntus said:

Thanks Edi, Looks like two coats of clear kiwi it is then!!! 👍

Just to confirm, 1 X  application of clear kiwi, a buff off and then a second application without polishing the second layer?

I know I'm making this harder than it probably need to be, I just don't want to c**k it up or permanently fix it to the action! 😉 😁

ATB

G

Wise man, checking costs now't,   🤫

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Kalahari said:

I am afraid, early mosquitos were bonded with cascamite, later ones with aerolite. Araldite was invented in 1946, post most mosquitoes.

 

David.

I’m beyond caring, it was a simple question that got the simple answer it deserved, now it’s turning into multiple pages of blather

It’s a scope rail, just glue the bloody thing on and move on

Jesus!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy