Scope Rail Bedding Material Options

gruntus

Hi All,

I am looking to bed a scope rail on my rifle.

I had a look on the forum and number one choice for bedding actions appears to be Devcon amongst a few others as per this thread http://ukvarminting.com/topic/10387-rifle-stock-bedding-compound/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-345033

Given that I am only looking to bed the rail are there any "smaller" volume options like Araldite that would be just as suitable? Example:  https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/adhesives/araldite-rapid-steel-tubes-2x-15ml

I am happy to shell out for Devcon or Delta Quick Steel if required/recommended, just wondered if there are any other commercial options off the shelf in smaller volumes that would be suitable for the work.

As always thanks in advance and appreciate your advice.

All the best

G

I’ve always used a very light smear of Devcon to bond rails to actions (where necessary)

Devcon is all well and good, but unless you use a lot of it, ie regular bedding jobs, you’re unlikely to have a pot of it lying around, and at £30 a kit then that’s an expensive way to get just the tiny amount you need to bed a scope rail

Araldite works, as will the dreaded JB Weld, but any 2 part adhesive will do the job

1 hour ago, bradders said:

Devcon is all well and good, but unless you use a lot of it, ie regular bedding jobs, you’re unlikely to have a pot of it lying around, and at £30 a kit then that’s an expensive way to get just the tiny amount you need to bed a scope rail

Araldite works, as will the dreaded JB Weld, but any 2 part adhesive will do the job

+1.  I also put a coat of hard wax on the action so the epoxy don't stick

Thanks for the replies Gents,

I was really only looking to bed it rather than bond it to give it a good mating surface area. I can easily slip paper in under the mounts in certain areas which isn't optimal.

I have some JB Weld at hand 😨but could easily get some Araldite or Quicksteel instead if that's a preferred/better option?

For a release agent I have read/seen kiwi shoe wax can be used on the action and screws. Is that acceptable/ok or is there a better/preferred substance?

All the best

G  

9 minutes ago, Triffid said:

Like Bradders says, I just use Araldite. No release agent or anything complicated. If you need to remove the rail at a later date, just warm it up slightly, which will also remove any residue.

Triffid

Yep

Araldite holds together the Sydney Opera House, Coventry Cathedral, the Lamborghini Aventador, the Audi R8.....and also the deHavilland Mosquito

One of the best composites ever created

If you want intimate surface contact, ie a gap filler, I'd go for the steel powdered version.

But beware, it'll still stick like s++t to a blanket, so a liberal application of boot polish on the receiver is advised if you ever want to get it off again.

Pete

4 hours ago, bradders said:

Yep

Araldite holds together the Sydney Opera House, Coventry Cathedral, the Lamborghini Aventador, the Audi R8.....and also the deHavilland Mosquito

One of the best composites ever created

I am afraid, early mosquitos were bonded with cascamite, later ones with aerolite. Araldite was invented in 1946, post most mosquitoes.

David.

Thanks again gents,

For a release agent would there be any issues using Ambersil silicon mould release agent?

Obviously taping off and covering any parts not intended for the bonding area and giving it a really good solvent clean afterwards.

Cheers

G

42 minutes ago, Kalahari said:

I am afraid, early mosquitos were bonded with cascamite, later ones with aerolite. Araldite was invented in 1946, post most mosquitoes.

David.

That all sounds familiar having read many ancient "Woodworker" magazines

3 hours ago, gruntus said:

Thanks again gents,

For a release agent would there be any issues using Ambersil silicon mould release agent?

Obviously taping off and covering any parts not intended for the bonding area and giving it a really good solvent clean afterwards.

Cheers

G

sure, but wax polish is cheaper if you need to go out and buy it

12 hours ago, gruntus said:

Thanks again gents,

Cheers

G

I have seen tears in the eyes of those that used mould release agent that was made for plastic injection moulding. Mould release agent for hot thermo plastic it is not made for composites . I don't know which type you have but if it is the injection moulding type you should be careful.  Clear Kiwi shoe wax applied twice normally works well.

We never... ever tape off parts for bedding as epoxy can creep under the tape unseen. We use an epoxy with long pot life and wipe off excess resin. WD40 on a rag or cotton bud for final removing of traces before curing that is.

edi

Thanks Edi, Looks like two coats of clear kiwi it is then!!! 👍

Just to confirm, 1 X  application of clear kiwi, a buff off and then a second application without polishing the second layer?

I know I'm making this harder than it probably need to be, I just don't want to c**k it up or permanently fix it to the action! 😉 😁

ATB

G

23 minutes ago, gruntus said:

Thanks Edi, Looks like two coats of clear kiwi it is then!!! 👍

Just to confirm, 1 X  application of clear kiwi, a buff off and then a second application without polishing the second layer?

I know I'm making this harder than it probably need to be, I just don't want to c**k it up or permanently fix it to the action! 😉 😁

ATB

G

Wise man, checking costs now't,   🤫

14 hours ago, Kalahari said:

David.

I’m beyond caring, it was a simple question that got the simple answer it deserved, now it’s turning into multiple pages of blather

It’s a scope rail, just glue the bloody thing on and move on

Jesus!!!!!!