308 AI AT

gazzarM1

Looking for recommendations 155 or 168 grain for the above along with COL .

Given that I need to have a regular supply of powder ,looking at using TAC or others that are available going forward

Thanks

Hi there 

my AT loves 155+168. Amax. n135 for all 155s and n150 for 168 to 185s . Berger fullbore 155.5 very very good also 175 and 185 bergers . It’s not so happy with lapua or Sierra TMk s . 42.5 g of n135 for 155 s and 44-45 grains of n150 for the heavies  . Coal 2.9 inch. Cbto  2.237.   Hope it helps 

Forgot to say the Amax can end up jammed into the lands if made to 2.9 coal thinks it’s cos they are a blunt ish design so go with the cbto length . They worked fine at 2.81 coal . Cheers 

Hi all 

my AT has 26” barrel with the threaded muzzle break and screw on AI moderator . 155.5 Berger s are the best accuracy 42.5 g of N135 2.9 “ coal gives less then thumbnail size groups at 100yds and at 300 all shots in the bull on a modified ie small bull f-class target 

cheers 

C6B69941-3DE1-4DD9-903C-01B0143F98BF.jpeg

Sorry didn’t have pics for the Berger 155.5 s so put the above in for fun still learning how to work the i phone . Above was with 44 grains of N150 coal 2.9” and cbto of 2.237 . 

Cheers 

• 2 weeks later...

44.5 g Varget or VV N140 under 155 g seated to 2.850 is the recognised go to load in the 308’s I’ve owned (Ai)

Usual safety caveats apply

Slight thread hijack but could someone ‘in the know” suggest whether it is likely that a optimal load in the 26” tube would likely still be optimal in a shorter tube, say 20”?  Difficult to quantify but does anyone have any experience?

• 1 month later...