Imperial dry neck lube

SMLE

I’m toying with the idea of trying the imperial dry neck lube stuff. What’s the consensus on this? Do people rate it?

Also, bit confused, do I need to buy the media and the lube, looks like it’s supplied in two separate components.... or am I being thick?

I like it - cleaner and less messy than the Imperial wax (also good stuff!).

The media (ceramic balls) and the graphite powder all come together in the little pot/tub. 

https://www.1967spud.com/shop/redding/redding-imperial-application-media-dry-neck-lube/

Just dip your cases, expander mandrels etc and away you go! 😁

I use ground mica powder mixed with walnut tumbling media. It works well leaving a fine dusting on the brass neck inside and out.  I have a lifetimes supply of walnut and quite a lot of the mica so I can let you have some freebees to try if you'd like.  I try to avoid inhaling mica dust when using it although when it's mixed up with the media it seems to not get airborne.

Edited by Popsbengo
additional info

Cheers Pops. I’ll take you up on that offer when I see you next. In the meantime I’ll get some of the imperial stuff off Spud, thanks for the info Catch 22.

I’ll wave to you from my flight Pops on the 20th as I pass Eskdalemuir on the way to Glasgow. Please don’t see Flybe as a target....!

27 minutes ago, SMLE said:

Cheers Pops. I’ll take you up on that offer when I see you next. In the meantime I’ll get some of the imperial stuff off Spud, thanks for the info Catch 22.

I’ll wave to you from my flight Pops on the 20th as I pass Eskdalemuir on the way to Glasgow. Please don’t see Flybe as a target....!

Listen out for the bangs ! I'll message you re lube stuff

3 hours ago, SMLE said:

Also, bit confused, do I need to buy the media and the lube, looks like it’s supplied in two separate components.... or am I being thick?

In answer to your question, you buy the pot of balls and dust together, and then buy the dust on its own to recharge the balls when they've run out of dust!

Thanks GT3. I think I was being thick.... took a proper look at Spuds site and it kind of made sense. Tub ordered a few minutes ago.

15 hours ago, Leeman said:

Make sure to check no balls have adhered to the inside case neck, great way to ruin a good barrel.

Top tip.... thanks!

Following a tip from Andrew Evans-H at Riflecraft years ago, I use locksmiths powdered graphite in small pots of No6 and No8 lead shot for the smaller calibres......... works really well when I’m neck-sizing and the occasional pellets that get left behind are soft enough not to bugger the decapping pin/rod.

I’m still on my original pot of graphite......must be getting on for 15years now. I think it’s C&K brand or some like that.

Twiddle and go. 👍

cheers

fizz

8 hours ago, fizzbangwhallop said:

Following a tip from Andrew Evans-H at Riflecraft years ago, I use locksmiths powdered graphite in small pots of No6 and No8 lead shot for the smaller calibres......... works really well when I’m neck-sizing and the occasional pellets that get left behind are soft enough not to bugger the decapping pin/rod.

I’m still on my original pot of graphite......must be getting on for 15years now. I think it’s C&K brand or some like that.

Twiddle and go. 👍

cheers

fizz

Now that is a top tip 

Yup same as - imperial , it lasts years and very effective , be careful opening the tub of puff dust ! Hold it flat on a table etc then carefully open lid . Or its akin to talkum powder everywhere ...

only worse coz it's filthy black.

I have some BluTac on the bottom of the small jar so it can't be knocked over. Believe me, you wouldn't be impressed with the cleanup. Having it anchored down means you can stir the contents round without having the hold it with your other hand. I give it a gentle stir about every 20 dips to spread the graphite evenly.

Thanks for all the responses and tips folks. Picked up some of the Imperial stuff with the loaded beads yesterday from CDSG.

Had a fiddle today and I must say I’m really impressed. Had a bit of a faff setting my Redding bushing die but cooking with gas now.

Thanks again.

20 hours ago, Chris-NZ said:

only worse coz it's filthy black.

I have some BluTac on the bottom of the small jar so it can't be knocked over. Believe me, you wouldn't be impressed with the cleanup. Having it anchored down means you can stir the contents round without having the hold it with your other hand. I give it a gentle stir about every 20 dips to spread the graphite evenly.

Another good tip and with you on the idea. I worked with graphite in a previous career before the bottom fell out of the chemical processing industry in this country. I remember as an apprentice having to clear up spills.... I was scarred for life... :)

Got my little tub fixed in a “bund “ like device I “liberated” at the time of my redundancy 20 years ago