Behind the license revocation

Re-Pete

Plecotus, get yourself a Jack Russell.........they're quieter than a .410 and much more fun.  😁

Pete

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Pellet Gun Pete said:

Chris Packham on radio 4 last week. He tells about his exploits in his school days, "bird nesting" and TAKING A KESTREL from the nest. 

Then he gets all upset about the kestrels death.

A man driven by his own guilt.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07j4qx6

Hi pellet gun Pete, I thought you'd left us!! How you getting on with the hmr?

I know, don't they make you smile 😀, like farmer's who hate big bag game days but probably don't mind having 500 or so pidgeons or crows shot in a day on their land, and the anti that doesn't like shooting but is happy to have his rats shot, to the man i know who is so keen on all wildlife,  but absolutely hates green woodpeckers because they peck holes through his bee hives, you just gotta love em, because they'll allways be here.

7 minutes ago, Re-Pete said:

Plecotus, get yourself a Jack Russell.........they're quieter than a .410 and much more fun.  😁

Pete

Not for the Russell when it gets ratty latched onto its nose, anyway Pete, i thought you antis didn't like hunting with dogs😂

You or some one said you had to do big days otherwise you would not cover beaters pay and lunch?

i know all the other costs I have been involved in it all my life.

Some shoots make a lot of money. They shot big bags and often. 

1 minute ago, sam39 said:

You or some one said you had to do big days otherwise you would not cover beaters pay and lunch?

i know all the other costs I have been involved in it all my life.

Some shoots make a lot of money. They shot big bags and often. 

So what ratio of poults make it to maturity get paid for /shot  on your shoot?

6 minutes ago, Moorlander said:

So what ratio of poults make it to maturity get paid for /shot  on your shoot?

70% but my Dad always told me you need to put 4 down for every 1 you want to shoot. Returns are better if you have shoots next to you and everyone does there bit

3 minutes ago, sam39 said:

70% but my Dad always told me you need to put 4 down for every 1 you want to shoot. Returns are better if you have shoots next to you and everyone does there but,

If youre returning 70% on released birds you need to carry on doing whatever it is your doing .70% return is pretty special.

Just got a new place to shoot overrun with rabbits al because gamekeepers shoot all the foxes on the grouse moor so no natural balance now  . Sheep farmers struggle to live with holes everywhere and rabbits eating the grass 

Doent sound like conservation 

3 minutes ago, Richiew said:

Just got a new place to shoot overrun with rabbits al because gamekeepers shoot all the foxes on the grouse moor so no natural balance now  . Sheep farmers struggle to live with holes everywhere and rabbits eating the grass 

I would be surprised that that is the reason the place is over run with rabbits

3 minutes ago, Richiew said:

Sounds like theyre doing a good job of conserveing grouse numbers which is their job i.e. what theyre being paid to do.You are now fortunate enough to have obtained a new peice of ground to shoot over on the strength of this.well done.

Yep absolutely loving it , no natural predators other than me with the 17 hmr  doing my bit to help the farmers.        Funny how things turn out . Friend with a lab with skin problems is happy with rabbits for the wolf diet  , and got some mates wanting natural food for themselves and a few reptile keepers . 

Happy days indeed 

5 minutes ago, Richiew said:

Yep absolutely loving it , no natural predators other than me with the 17 hmr  doing my bit to help the farmers.        Funny how things turn out . Friend with a lab with skin problems is happy with rabbits for the wolf diet  , and got some mates wanting natural food for themselves and a few reptile keepers . 

Happy days indeed 

Funny how people can be squemish about eating rabbit since myxy ,nice meat if cooked properly.

7 hours ago, Bob57 said:

Hi pellet gun Pete, I thought you'd left us!! How you getting on with the hmr?

I know, don't they make you smile 😀, like farmer's who hate big bag game days but probably don't mind having 500 or so pidgeons or crows shot in a day on their land, and the anti that doesn't like shooting but is happy to have his rats shot, to the man i know who is so keen on all wildlife,  but absolutely hates green woodpeckers because they peck holes through his bee hives, you just gotta love em, because they'll allways be here.

How long have pigeons and rooks (you tend not to get 500 crows together) eaten potatoes? ..........people that make assumptions “because they will always be here” don’t they make you smile 

50 minutes ago, Richiew said:

That's a very simplistic view/assumption of why rabbit numbers are so high. I have 100 acres just down the road which is rare around here in that it has no adjacent shoots, and having spoken to the owners a fox hasnt been shot there for 10 years+

Since I've started shooting the hundreds upon hundreds of rabbits that are present I've seen a fox about 3 times (and not shot them) - no idea why they arent about or if I've just not seen them, either way they are clearly having little effect on bunny numbers, ditto the 10 billion crows that live there.

31 minutes ago, sam39 said:

How long have pigeons and rooks (you tend not to get 500 crows together) eaten potatoes? ..........people that make assumptions “because they will always be here” don’t they make you smile 

I've shot plenty of pidgeons on potatoes in my youth😀😀, but never seen rooks or crows eat them😀😀, and there's been a few 500 plus bags of crows in a day, but no,they didn't all turn up at once😀😀

Pigeons, they might like a spud😂.

19 minutes ago, Bob57 said:

I've shot plenty of pidgeons on potatoes in my youth😀😀, but never seen rooks or crows eat them😀😀, and there's been a few 500 plus bags of crows in a day, but no,they didn't all turn up at once😀😀

Pigeons, they might like a spud😂.

Interesting. Never seen a flock of pigeons on a potato field. Rooks  pull a few out of the drills after the tops are dead but get a field next to a release pen birds dusting and pecking gives you a fair few green spuds with holes in! Only localised damage 

50 minutes ago, GT3_richy said:

That's a very simplistic view/assumption of why rabbit numbers are so high. I have 100 acres just down the road which is rare around here in that it has no adjacent shoots, and having spoken to the owners a fox hasnt been shot there for 10 years+

Since I've started shooting the hundreds upon hundreds of rabbits that are present I've seen a fox about 3 times (and not shot them) - no idea why they arent about or if I've just not seen them, either way they are clearly having little effect on bunny numbers, ditto the 10 billion crows that live there.

I nearly allways see a fox on fields that have lots of rabbits, just a matter of waiting long enough for one to turn up, but I'm sure they have very little effect on their numbers, as I've watched them many many times just trotting around the rabbits, probably with one eye on them, but very rarely going for one.

3 minutes ago, Bob57 said:

I nearly allways see a fox on fields that have lots of rabbits, just a matter of waiting long enough for one to turn up, but I'm sure they have very little effect on their numbers, as I've watched them many many times just trotting around the rabbits, probably with one eye on them, but very rarely going for one.

I have mostly similar experience, but I'm spending 4-5 hours there at a time with thermal, see mice, partridges, few owls,  quite often a pair of ducks, muntjac without fail - but literally 3 fox sightings. On the other hand a golf course I shoot I see literally about 50 deer/fox to 1 rabbit - and thats the only place I've seeen a fox with a rabbit in its gob, the numbers dont make sense but there you are.

4 minutes ago, sam39 said:

Interesting. Never seen a flock of pigeons on a potato field. Rooks  pull a few out of the drills after the tops are dead but get a field next to a release pen birds dusting and pecking gives you a fair few green spuds with holes in! Only localised damage 

Yep woodies like them after they've been harvested and frosted,well they did a long time ago, probably now go on to rape .

Anyway you can't have a pheasant shoot and not expect to get some damage to your crops😮

A couple of years ago a farmer friend said his rows of new potatoes were being dug up by something, so I sat there that night with the rifle , bugger me can badgers dig😂, I watched a couple through the drone digging them up, and I could see them just eating the new shoots off, and leaving the potato😣, and no I didn't, they put electric fence round the next day.

That's why I love sitting out at night waiting for Charlie, the things I see, the antis don't know what they're missing☺

28 minutes ago, GT3_richy said:

I have mostly similar experience, but I'm spending 4-5 hours there at a time with thermal, see mice, partridges, few owls,  quite often a pair of ducks, muntjac without fail - but literally 3 fox sightings. On the other hand a golf course I shoot I see literally about 50 deer/fox to 1 rabbit - and thats the only place I've seeen a fox with a rabbit in its gob, the numbers dont make sense but there you are.

Yep something's don't stack up sometimes, I was shooting rabbits on a golf course the other night too, and was just about to wack a third bunnie when a fox walked into my drones screen right near the rabbit, so I thought let's see what it does, just ignored the rabbit which just sat there and trotted straight towards me, got to a dead rabbit, picked it up and ended up trotting past me 10 yds away lol, that's what I love about the drone, you could see it was a vixen by the looks of its undercarriage, and being a good chap I left a few more about for it to take home for the children😁, bloody hell, I think the antis have sown a seed without me knowing about it😕

21 minutes ago, Bob57 said:

Yep something's don't stack up sometimes, I was shooting rabbits on a golf course the other night too, and was just about to wack a third bunnie when a fox walked into my drones screen right near the rabbit, so I thought let's see what it does, just ignored the rabbit which just sat there and trotted straight towards me, got to a dead rabbit, picked it up and ended up trotting past me 10 yds away lol, that's what I love about the drone, you could see it was a vixen by the looks of its undercarriage, and being a good chap I left a few more about for it to take home for the children😁, bloody hell, I think the antis have sown a seed without me knowing about it😕

Funnily enough the rabbit I saw at the golf course with a rabbit in its gob came into about the same distance and sat there with it in its mouth while I was sitting crossed legged watching it through the Drone. Most people I know have never seen a badger unless its dead on the side of the road - I've spent ages watching them through thermal and NV (they can destroy anything given a few minutes, seriously powerful animals, and appear to eat literally anything too) and a lot of other animals most people might never see.

I don't shoot stuff for the sake of it, and regularly leave dinner behind when I've seen things about that will eat it.