Sierra 130TMK 6.5 accuracy

Malxwal

My 6.5x47L seems to like most bullets but the 130TMK is my "go to" bullet for target/range use.

0.3-0.4moa 5shot groups from my PRL rig, which is probably as good as I can shoot under these conditions (Harris bipod and basic rear bag). I didn't play with seating depth thereafter as this was plenty good enough for my needs.

694-B51-C5-0-E6-A-42-AE-BD66-63-BDCADC34

When shooting 900yd IPSC torso at an RRC, I got 4 hits ex 5, the first shot having gone high. Truing the drops in Strelok using this field data thus required an increase in the MV used, suggesting the advertised BC is realistic (or my chrono is pessimistic).

1 hour ago, terryh said:

BBMan,

Nice group, if you don’t mind me asking - 36.7grains of ‘what’?

Cheers

Terry

36.6gr RS52

Cheers,

Been running the Berger 130g’s over N140, slightly faster than you’re getting, tried the RS powders (60 & 62) but not great results.

Might give the RS ‘50’s a go along with the TMK’s .

Terry

Sounds like you're running a 47 from the charge weights ?

Currently running the 130TMK over RS62, and velocities are a touch on the low side.

But mainly concerned with how you'd compare the TMK with other common 6.5 bullets for outright accuracy ?

Malxwal,

Yes, been running the ‘47’ for over 10 years now, like this cartridge, 4th barrel from memory in current rifle, just sorted a stalking rifle in the same.

Not sure how your’d really compare bullets either,? The Berger OTM’s cluster, but in honesty I do not think I miss or do poorly due to the bullet 😉.

Personally, sitting down with two bullets and sorting which one does say 1/8” better group on average would be like picking the fly ‘shite’ out of the pepper 😁 . just not worth it for my shooting needs or aspirations.

Terry

I found I could get the 123 Amax and the 123 Scenar both to do single hole groups without too much effort. I've changed rifle now, the freebore in this one is rather generous (I didn't commission this build), and so I have moved up to a heavier bullet. I would also add I use this for stalking as well as informal target/gong. Its also very much a stalking rifle as opposed to my previous 47, and as such not so easy to shoot having a lot less weight about it.

My angle stems from this; is the TMK as "tuneable"as to achieve those same one hole groups ? At the moment, with the very little time I've had to work with it, about 42.0gr RS62 has produced results perfectly adequate for accurate deer work (and the bullet has been very good) albeit with slightly disappointing velocities (2700 out of a 24" 8 twist) But as our local comps and the SGA shoot approach, my thoughts turn to getting the groups that wee bit tighter. 

I have not used the Sierra 130's but after my experiences with the Nosler RDF and others in this weight, I'm certain that you will have good results. I work specifically with recommended OAL in my loads and have had no problem (That I can't attribute to me!)  spanking MOA targets to 1100 yards.~Andrew

I run the 139gr scenars on 41grs of RS62 and they've shot like the photo and better,I've not checked the velocity as they shot the same as my H4350 load of 39.8grs at 600yds so I assume the velocity is about 2800fps/2815fps

The 140gr amaxs I shoot on 41.5grs so you close with 42grs for the 130gr TMK's.

9 hours ago, Malxwal said:

Sounds like you're running a 47 from the charge weights ?

Currently running the 130TMK over RS62, and velocities are a touch on the low side.

But mainly concerned with how you'd compare the TMK with other common 6.5 bullets for outright accuracy ?

I had similar accuracy from the 140SST, which is my deer load:

1-D0-BD290-C57-D-4-C2-E-A22-C-F74-F8741-

The Hornady 130ELD-M shot nearly as well at 100m but I decided to use the 130TMK so I have no idea about long range performance.

That last photo is what I believe the 47 is capable of, or should be. I'll trial some RS52 versus the RS62 ( I have found RS60 too temp sensitive in the past). I just haven't had the time/weather to really test this rifle, just needed to get a load working for deer. Great to see someone getting the accuracy I would be looking for out of the 130 TMK.

Cheers folks !

11 hours ago, Bangbangman said:

I had similar accuracy from the 140SST, which is my deer load:

1-D0-BD290-C57-D-4-C2-E-A22-C-F74-F8741-

The Hornady 130ELD-M shot nearly as well at 100m but I decided to use the 130TMK so I have no idea about long range performance.

I am sure the crows wouldn't like the 140gr ssts at 500yds and beyond.the 6.5x47 is a great cartridge

I have also found the TMK 130's to be very good and accurate in my Tikka TAC1 6.5CM.

I've not played with seating depth much, but 41 grains of Viht N150 has given me half moa or slightly better on a good day. From memory the bullets were pushing around 2750 fps.

I found the Scenar 139 OTM was also grouping very well with 41 grains of N150.

I found finding a good consistent group with the Hornady 143 ELD-X a right pain in the butt using N150. I eventually got half moa with 39.5 grains of N150 and an average of 2807 fps.