I was just looking on RFDs website and they are offering the above chronograph for £199. I thought Magneto chronographs were a lot more costly than this.

I have a Chrono but it is a big faff to set up. I made a led light set up so it works well in our dark club tunnel.

My club has a LabRadar which is good, but it never seems to be there when I want to use it.

Do they MAgnetoSpeed Sporters work in poor lighting in a tunnel?

The sporter version is nowt like the V3 , both very different being the sporter is a very basic version. 

V3 has different sensor and a much bigger display and head unit , also much more options, 

both very good but one is at least twice the beast than the other . 

If your a hunter that just want to check his favourite ammo from time to time then out in the field then the sporter is for you . 

If you want full and comprehensive data on your target / long range load then you want the V3 . 

Also both will work in total darkness  if you felt the need haha 😂 

I too use the sporter and it’s brilliant. I cannot fault it for giving me all the key info I need (ES/SD/avg velocity over 5...or is it 10??....shot string). It gives you all you need to layer with your Kestral data and feed into your ballistic silver and data book.

Excellent for the money, has the fundamentals you need....without all the extra bells and whistles (unnecessary for my needs).

The only negative is the crappy box it comes in. But that is a very minor point and has nothing to do with the function or quality of the magnetospeed itself. 

• 8 months later...
On 4/27/2019 at 10:50 AM, triggersqueezer said:

the sporter tells you fps es and sd so all i want from a chrono. works on magnets not light so fine in the dark you just can't use it with a moderator.

1 hour ago, Minion said:

Does it work with a moderator fitted?

6.5 CM

see first post above

M

• 1 year later...

I'm at the point of seriously considering buying a Magnetospeed-Sporter. All I need is the velocities of a 10 shot string. ES, SD and average velocity. 

So........ Do the Sporter's electronics work with a moderator fitted? And is it more a case of finding a way to mount it to the moderator properly in order for it to work. Is this correct?

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, chaz said:

I'm at the point of seriously considering buying a Magnetospeed-Sporter. All I need is the velocities of a 10 shot string. ES, SD and average velocity. 

So........ Do the Sporter's electronics work with a moderator fitted? And is it more a case of finding a way to mount it to the moderator properly in order for it to work. Is this correct?

Thanks.

yes and yes !   I have one and used with a .308 with moderator by rigging it up to fit.  Not ideal.

14 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

yes and yes !   I have one and used with a .308 with moderator by rigging it up to fit.  Not ideal.

Cheers Popsbengo.

Not ideal as in unreliable readings, or just a pain to mount?

Cheers.

16 minutes ago, chaz said:

Cheers Popsbengo.

Not ideal as in unreliable readings, or just a pain to mount?

Cheers.

a pain to mount.  It was quite reliable with .308,  less so with .223 however that may have been me.