King of 2 Miles in France

Lukas_K

We´re back and already looking to the next round.

58377978-10216703554574178-1953539185658

Canjuers, France, 20-22 April 2019

Now that the pressure of the competition is over, only good feelings settle in and memories remain. Eduardo, Philippe, Patrick and their teams showed immense effort to bring this first-in-Europe meeting to life. I am happy for everybody that those efforts and results obtained were immediately recognized by the French military on site as beneficial to the ongoing technical development and future formation of the troops.

It was an honor to be part of this industry leading event, competing yet working together on the mutual goal of pushing the limits of known technology and what lies beyond. We may have not leaped forward, but steady steps were taken - no ground given.

Thanks to the entirety of my team for their continuous support and patience over the past year of preparations and strategy adjustments. Following the lead requires immeasurable faith and I´m humbled by your work.

For us, reaching the finale is a notable result shooting the smaller, 300 grain 338 caliber bullet compared to all other finalists pushing 375 caliber or even bigger numbers. Our success was possible thanks to Kahles aiming and Swarowski spotting solutions, permitting minute corrections based off visible terrain impacts in the target proximity over the distance of over one mile. We are happy to have proven that with superior quality of optical systems, brute force of bigger calibers is not always a necessary prerequisite for bridging the distance. What is your choice to depend on in the field now?

I look forward to seeing you all next year, pushing further forward.

Super result Lukas 

Could you possibly advise what equipment was used with your team (rifle, scope, spotter etc)

Let´s see, I don´t have any better pics of the detailed results, so I hope they will be visible:

Qualification:

Qual.jpg

Finals & AGG:

fin.jpg

It was clear from day one that we were right on one thing in preparation: that if the competition is named after the furthest target doesn´t mean anybody will reach it over the elimination rules (you are out if you do not connect with the alloted number of rounds - cannot continue to distance B if you score zero at distance A).

We concentrated on getting SOME points with more certainty (can get pleanty more training time and data behind a 338LM than a Cheytac variant, so I took what I can use), and see how that fares overall. Rather OK, as it turns out.

Canjuers range picked for Ko2M has the specific treat of shooting over a great elevation difference (shooting line is 100m+ higher than the targets - I measured 11,5hPa difference just driving up). We were essentially shooting from a shelf. This isn´t about incline which you account for (and at the distance, you´re aiming up anyways 😄 ) but about the wind. 100m into flight the bullet is also all of a sudden 100m up above ground and into... what wind now? Your guess is as good as mine.

Most calibres involved were of a Cheytac variant, where the popular theory would say that a 1450m target should be easy. It wasn´t, and as you can see about a third of the teams didn´t connect and were eliminated from the first target right away.

We were 10th after the qualification and kept that position after the finals. Only two out of ten finalists had ANY hits on finals day! First finals target was set at 2430m. Bruno, the winner was 8th after the qualification and his points advantage wasn´t that great over us. The 375Snipetac he was using is pretty much a 375CT improved. This shows we were roughly at the same playing field between the calibers at the qualifying distances. The finals distance proved too much for our 338, though the camera team reported we were impacting as close as between the target stand leg and target itself on two shots. A close miss is still a miss, in the end :) Bruno did great and was the only shooter to hit all distances in the finals, including the 3270m on his second shot. The man was on fire!

@Bradders: we built this 338 with that old bull barrel blank you sent me about a year ago... ;) 

Our equipment list:

Modified/remachined CZ550M action (yes, a giant Mauser) fitted into AICS chassis;

.338/1:10´" barrel finished at 29";

Ritter&Stark Muzzle brake;

IOR 6-24x56 scope;

Bipod Czech TST Carbon;

Ammo used: Lapua case, Fed215Magnum primers, RS80, Berger 300Hybrid -> 865m/s 

Spotters: Leupold Mark 4 and Swarovski STR80, both with reticles. The Swaro is simply phenomenal.

Last pic: in the background, Bruno is in the middle of his winning run. Waiting on the table closest to the tent is my rifle (10th overall), in the middle a 375CT that finished 11th behind us and nearest to the camera is Alexandre´s PGM Hecate 50BMG. Alexandre and his team finished 9th.

preparing-for-finals.jpg

Thanks Lukas,  would have loved to be there. I met some of the guys at IWA before the match. Mattia had a rifle, possibly the one he used on display at the BCM stand.

I found this write up, is that the one you meant Gun Pimp?

https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2019/04/elr-euro-style-king-of-2-miles-in-france-2019/

edi

• 1 month later...

I have never been involved in any form of competitive Target Shooting. Loading for and Zeroing stalking/hunting rifles is about my lot.

Reading the posts here with awe, just amazing achievements well done all involved.

• 1 month later...

Would you post some images of the winning rifle, set up.

Phenomenal results from a 550...