6.5 Creedmore

colin jalland

Is the .260 shot out?

If not, get the idea out of your head. The issue with .260 is the restricted OAL when running 140gr bullets. 

Run 123gr bullets and chop the existing barrel. 

The .260 runs more powder than the 6.5 Creedmoor. As such will give good velocity. 

8 minutes ago, Scotch_egg said:

Is the .260 shot out?

If not, get the idea out of your head. The issue with .260 is the restricted OAL when running 140gr bullets. 

The .260 runs more powder than the 6.5 Creedmoor. As such will give good velocity. 

Yeah it's getting that way ,had a scope up it and it's not looking good 

Colin,

I shot a 20" barrelled AI for three years and won assorts with it, out to 600 yards. Shot it a few times at 1000, and it coped, but could have done with more length for that range.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/25/2019 at 8:46 PM, Scotch_egg said:

Is the .260 shot out?

I agree with what you say but for larger bullets, seated deeper, there's not a lot of difference in powder capacity between the two.  For lighter bullets seated futher out, the 260 has a little more capacity.  It's half a dozen of one and 6 of the other.  If I already had a .260 there'd be no real justification to change to a 6.5.

RE barrel length, Accurate Shooter published an article where a 6.5 barrel was cut down a little at a time and velocities tested for each length.  Their conclusion was that the optimum length I think was 24 to 26 inches, and there was really little loss by the time they got to 20 inches.  I think they finished at 15 or 16 inches and were still getting reasonable velocities.  I guess the results need taking with a pinch of salt as it depends on the powder choice.  If most powder is burnt by say 20 inches, then it stands to reason you'd not lose much velocity.

• 4 months later...

I shoot a 20" creedmoor , I get 2680fps from 140g ELD-M factory ammo , good out to 1000m 

yes i'm still shooting , loving the PRL because it's exactly the challenging type of shooting I enjoy with lots of cool shooters and not many choppers !

I re barrelled my 260 to creedmoor , when it needs another re-barrel I will go creedmoor again , it suits me better than 260