Remington Primer Reliability

Popsbengo

I've generally used CCI primers in small/large pistol and small/large rifle including BR2 & BR4.  Never had a single failure in thousands of rounds.  I've used Federal and never had a problem.

When I got my .338 I purchased some Remington 91/2 Magnum as they didn't have any CCI in stock.  So far I've had five failures out of 100.  No ignition.

I know about lube contamination, seating etc etc.  My primers are stored in exactly the same place and method as the never failed CCIs.  My firing pin is fine, exactly to Barnard spec. and  the pin indentation is good on fired and duff ones.  The Lapua brass primer pockets are uniformed (and measured to be in spec) and the primers seated firmly and accurately. Headspace is good.  The primer strike is central - not offset.

Before I consign the Remington primers to 45/70 duties only (plinking) does anyone have similar issues or can share an insight?  Or is it just Remington make crap primers?

I have just finished my last batch of 500 Remington 91/2 lr primers (243 & 308) and all functioned flawlessly. Perhaps there’s a duff batch???

luckily none of my foxes heard the ‘click’!

+1 for the Rem 7.5 SR's........got through 1000 without any probs.........but found KVB-223M's better and cheaper.

Pete

22 hours ago, Bob57 said:

Great, I've just bought a 1000 remington 71/2 small rifle primers for my 204 as i'm getting a few blown primers with fed gold medal using n530, hopefully they will all work ok!!

Bob blown primers means the load is too hot unless you mean it in a different way..

On 4/22/2019 at 10:47 PM, No i deer said:

Bob blown primers means the load is too hot unless you mean it in a different way..

Yep ,I'm aware of that thanks👍, I got a blown primer when I was doing my load development for the 204 with n530, and used a lower charge with good accuracy and no more blown fed primers, but had 2 blow recently, so I'm hoping the thicker cup on the rem 7.5s will stop it !!

6 hours ago, deadcenter said:

I use 7 1/2s in my 223 target loads and have found them to be very reliable, never had one go click yet.

Mind you, now I've just gone and said that....... 

That's good to know 👍

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 11:30 AM, Bob57 said:

Yep ,I'm aware of that thanks👍, I got a blown primer when I was doing my load development for the 204 with n530, and used a lower charge with good accuracy and no more blown fed primers, but had 2 blow recently, so I'm hoping the thicker cup on the rem 7.5s will stop it !!

remington 71/2 small rifle primers have harder cups than the fed gold I use them in my Brx and my 20-222 work great in both and even the fed gold gives great accuracy at the lower speeds , I find both are great primers but the fed gold cant cope with the higher pressures

2 hours ago, dully1963 said:

remington 71/2 small rifle primers have harder cups than the fed gold I use them in my Brx and my 20-222 work great in both and even the fed gold gives great accuracy at the lower speeds , I find both are great primers but the fed gold cant cope with the higher pressures

Good to know again👍, I've always used fed 205gm primers in my rifles, and never had one blow, even running them all flat out with a few different powders, until I changed to n530 in the 204 which must be generating a bit more pressure, blowing the odd primer, hence buying the thicker/harder cup 7.5s to use the tub up.

When the tubs done I'll go back to my original load using n133 and fed 205gm primers 😃.