Vortex Golden Eagle issue?

MichalS

During the last competition I had to shoot 1000y without sighters. I had to rely on ballistic app (Strelok Pro) and my elevation was way off - 1.75MOA too high. I contacted Igor, and he suggested the ballistic solution looks OK, but my optic may be off - the click may not be exactly 0.125 MOA... Have any of You had issues with Vortex GE?

Michal

If your not happy just send it back . And explain the situation and they will simply replace it with a new one. 

Im going to go out on a limb here and say theres a good chance it’s more you and your data that’s the problem not the scope .

any problems you think you may have can  easily be Identified with a tracking/ladder test ..

4 hours ago, MichalS said:

During the last competition I had to shoot 1000y without sighters. I had to rely on ballistic app (Strelok Pro) and my elevation was way off - 1.75MOA too high. I contacted Igor, and he suggested the ballistic solution looks OK, but my optic may be off - the click may not be exactly 0.125 MOA... Have any of You had issues with Vortex GE?

Michal

In the good old days when I shot Target Rifle, I kept records of every shoot - wind, temp, sight-settings etc. Looking back over this data, I had 4MOA (at 1000 yds) difference between a following wind on a hot summer day and a headwind in zero temperature. !.75MOA is nothing!

Don't forget, most ballistic progs are arrived at with interpolation of results rather than actual measured target elevations at every distance in all temperatures. If I had a new rifle with only the muzzle velocity as data I'd be more than happy to be only 1.75MOA high. Join any 1000 yd F Class shoot with experienced shooters with familiar rifles and ammo and see where their first shots go.

13 hours ago, ejg223 said:

Need to upgrade to a Vortex Cobra.... :P

He he love it. And, unlike the missus, doesn't question when I'm off out shooting  - again.☺️ 

• 3 weeks later...

3% is very good.  Normally 5% is as good as it gets. The worst result I got for a high-end scope was 10% 

As the test was to be published, I gave the manufacturer (who I will not name) a chance to comment - which he did.  "You are the first person to notice that."

They can't!  Come to our Egg Shoot and see how many can hit an egg at 500 yds - and the distance is known and competitors have had sighters at that distance.  In fact, half the field won't even hit an A3 size piece of paper at 500 yards without sighters!

No one can read the wind to that level of accuracy where 5% would make a difference. You might get an accurate wind-reading at the firing-point but that reading can - and will vary tremendously over say 1000 yards.

It's not an exact science Michael.

But, just as you know the limits of your rifle, you should also know the limits of your scope but if say your desired 2MOA adjustment is 'out' by 5% that's an inch at 1000 yds! 

Do you even have a rifle that will shoot better than a half MOA at 1000 yds? Not many of us have. At our last 1000 yard benchrest comp. my best group was 5 inches - so maybe I do have an half MOA gun but, my worst was 13 inches!  Go figure - 5% is nothing in the real world.

MIchael maybe you need to bring your kit along to one of our shoots - you will learn a lot.  Incidentally, I have two Golden Eagles.

58 minutes ago, The Gun Pimp said:

MIchael maybe you need to bring your kit along to one of our shoots - you will learn a lot.  Incidentally, I have two Golden Eagles.

Once again, he’s in Poland! 🤔

"Unfortunately" the guys I shoot with are quite good at this no sighters game. During F Class natinals we have specific match that has no sighters - You shoot 10 shots per target at 3 distances (which can also vary by a couple of meters so You better measure them with a laser) and wait for them to come back... Top results are around 280/300pts on targets smaller than UK F Class. You have to rely on Your ballistic solution and scope accuracy...

11 hours ago, triggersqueezer said:

surely if there is a known 3% difference you would just input a new click value in your balistic program.which is the whole point of the tall target test as few scopes are exact.instead of 0.250 put 0.255 for example

What will that give me though? When dialing 33MOA for 1000y I won't be counting the clicks...

Screenshot_20190502-071155_Chrome.jpg

if you dont want to count clicks use a calculator 33 - 3% = 32.01 and  dial in or dial for 970 yards depending which way the known error goes. t is almost not worth it because of enviromental voodoo. i know my zero shifts from one range to another even with altitude and wind direction taken into account.

That works out at very close to 2% for me

You have 0.6moa extra in every 30.

That scope is as good as it gets.

True your app using all the atmospheric variables on the day and turn on vertical component of crosswind. That will most likely improve the predictions.