Lyman Gen 6 Vs RCBS Chargemaster Lite

MrCetrizine

It would be interesting to see which device has the more accurate scale and output display.

With my CM Lite, I found that by 1. underthrowing a charge then 2. removing the pan, 3. let the scale stabalise, then 4. replace then trickling up to a given weight (these four steps are crucial), I was able to get within 0.00g using N140, to within 0.02g with Varget and around 0.02-0.04g with a denser, larger kernel powder like Lovex SO70. The difference between 0.00g and 0.1g of N140 is around 18 kernels of powder. That's quite a bit!

Why not try the above test with both machines and see which one has the more accurate scale and output display. It would be interesting to compare.

Full report of my above test here for ref:

http://ukvarminting.com/topic/38699-rcbs-chargemaster-lite-arrived-today/

Yes, very interesting. 

He's quite possibly got a surge problem or both scales are damaged/faulty somehow (dropped, powder down inside the units etc). But yes, not good for that fella!

Personally I've never had those issues with my CM Lite and could verify the results I was getting using both a Redding beam scale (with TM) and a GemPro 250 on the bench. In the end I concluded MY CM Lite was dependable and repeatable, so I got shot of the beam scales and GemPro as they were painfully slow.

Not very scientific but for what it's worth...

Electronic scales compared to beam scales (RCBS 505)

Electronic scales compared to each other

Make of the results what you will.

Personally I find both are accurate and consistent enough for me and will continue to use both.

I use a Lyman Gen6 too and the only issue is it has a tendency to over-load by 0.1 to 0.2 on the odd charge with some powders (longer grained ones like RS62).  I more or less sorted that issue by haveing Dave at the Shooting shed make me up a "Thingy" to screw into the end of the dispenser.  Much much better and now only very occasionally trips up.  I always check every 10 or so against beam scales or my other electronic scale and they tally almost exactly.  The Lyman is well within its 0.1 accuracy range and probably closer to 0.05.  Even with .223 loads, for the optimum charges, you can drift 0.1 either side and it makes little difference.  I keep reminding myself that it doesn't even become that critical at long range unless the cases are batched by volume and even then for my 6.5,  the chosen load's pressure insensitive region appears to be about 0.25  to 0.3grains so loading in the middle of that ensures that I have full confidence in the Lyman.  

Archived