Places to view Spotting Scopes

Hi All,

I will be going down to Tenby in a few weeks and wondered if there are any places/shops on route from Scotland down to Tenby (travelling down the west coast and stopping off near Liverpool for one night).

I currently have my eye on a Celestron Ultima 100.

All the best.

G

Not sure whether they are a countrywide group, but we have a good place near Huddersfield call In-focus. they cater for Birdwatchers, but usually have dozens set up, to view the local countryside with.

If you are after a simple spotting scope with no reticule, then you are far better off, searching out the Birdwatching shops. They have the full range from cheap to "how much"

The Opticron ones are very good for the money. If money is no object, Then you will not beat Swarovski.

Look at what the twitchers use.....its almost always Swarovski.

I've got a Vortex Razor scope, excellent, bright image. Can't be beat for the money.  Check out Uttings online

20 hours ago, baldie said:

searching out the Birdwatching shops. They have the full range from cheap to "how much"

Thank Baldie, I couldn't help but giggle at the pun. ☺️

My mate uses an Opticron and it is really nice.   Unfortunately, its the usual age old "I want a £2.5 K scope for 20 quid" scenario.

My threshold is about £600,  although I think I am more concerned about damaging the scope  and "wincing" at the damage costs to be honest (from slightly rough use, misplaced feet from numpties. etc. etc) and my current shooting is a little cramped at the FP (Eskdalemuir - its a great range, Mark is brand new, but it can get busy at times and dont want to get too precious or grumpy when the inevitable happens).

My need is for shooting out to 1000 yards and beyond (1 mile ) and  have gone for the 100 objective to gather light and understand that the quality of glass is just as important when magnifying.

Hence currently looking at Celestron Ultima 100  (22 x 67) (around £300) through to the Celestron Regal M2 100 but its around £750-800. Swarovski is well out of range unfortunately. I am only shooting in normal day light hours on ranges so a scope with great  low light ability isnt a must.

Any input or ideas around scopes that are a lot better than the Celestron Ultima 100 (or views on the Ultima) at around the £600 mark would be appreciated.

Im not averse to a good second hand scope but history and use cant always be guaranteed plus limited  warranty if it has issues.

And absolutely I agree you get what you pay for when it comes to glass!!

Thanks again gents.

G

• 1 month later...

RSPB centres usually have a good selection available to try 

suggest a Kowa, Minox or secondhand “branded” 

In Focus Optics have a place at the Wildfowl and Wetlands Centre at Slimbridge, which is just off the M5 so pretty convenient.  They have a very wide choice from cheap and cheerful to wallet wringing.  You can try any and all out and they are very helful and knowledgable.

https://www.at-infocus.co.uk/in-focus-shops/gloucestershire/

But whatever you do, don't mention that you want it for shooting...................😉

Pete

I made a silly mistake at the weekend.

At the tactical comp at Diggle, one of the guys had just bought one of the big Swarovski's with the illuminated MIL reticule.

I just had to look didn't I ?.......

He was walking funny having parted with a kidney.

I was walking funny due to....well....this is a family site.🤣

One of my shooting mates has the latest swarovski spotting scope, swarovski are adding on all these gimics which the 10x42 el range has quick detachable parts which he also bought a few weeks ago.they are very very nice, I would like to compare my 10x42 el's against them 

His spotting scope is stunning optically,  there is an adjustable pad that you rest your forehead against that was a good idea.

Swarovski optics are definately Carlsberg optics, probaly the best in the world

Fawcetts might have a spotting scope or two but phone first. You would probably be better looking in here 

https://www.lambertslancaster.co.uk/index.php

they used to have a shop in Lancaster that I would occasionally visit but now they have moved to Staveley near Windermere (about 10 mins from J36 of M6) 

these guys will have a good selection for you to view at all price points. I have bought optics for stalking and they were fieldsports friendly 

11 hours ago, Ronin said:

That good eh Dave ?

Absolutely stunning Andy.

Well thought out, such as the bolt on rails to attach either a rangefinder or red dot for fast acquisition etc.

I'm just chewing over whether to sell my own swaro to fund one.

On 5/10/2019 at 5:55 AM, baldie said:

Absolutely stunning Andy.

Well thought out, such as the bolt on rails to attach either a rangefinder or red dot for fast acquisition etc.

I'm just chewing over whether to sell my own swaro to fund one.

Well do you want an invoice for what you should have paid ???