Inherent Cartridge accuracy

Hobbit

Hi

I just wanted to ask a question about accuracy between cartridges. You hear people talk about "inherently accurate" cartridges  - .284win, 6.5 by 47 etc and I wanted to hear what people think about this phenomenon and what case and calibre characteristics drive it. 

I am talking about long range accuracy.

The elements of accuracy that I can think of (with drivers) are:

1, Good short range accuracy - low dispersion from barrel. The 100 yard grouping test etc. 

For this on top of rifle characteristics (barrel, action, trigger, sights), shooter ability and quality of ammo (general qualities such as neck tension, concentricity etc rather than cartridge specific qualities I can only think of low recoil and, perhaps, a low BC bullet /slow twist barrel combination which the BR guys use at short range. Perhaps long for caliber necks are helpful? or calibers where Lapua makes brass? more rigid short actions vs standard or long (308 vs 30-06). Is there something about size of accuracy nodes - some cartridges easier to get shooting??

2,Specific long range drivers -  At long range I can see BC obviously being important for environment but that is more calibre vs specific cartridge. So that leaves ES/SD of velocity which hits vertical spread - SRPs helpful here I understand. I thought Litz debunked the short fat cartridge advantage idea ... or what that case fill percentage?

Perhaps it is a combination of factors (recoils, speed, BC, easy nodes and quality components)  but there has got to be a reason the 6.5-284s and now the straight .284s achieve F class success and Vince chose the short magnums for his record setting. Or is it the case the rifle and the shooter is 9 tenths of the battle and cartridge choice is more subjective?

If I missed this being done to death earlier apologies (did look) just interested in what people think as I mull a multi caliber build

Archived