Which of these 3 scopes would you pick and why??

chaz

Sorry to be a pain folks, but my heads all over the shop with scopes. Shops being the right word too!! Paying what seems about right. To what seems more than necessary, for what i want or need to spend to "Over scope" it...

I've read lots of good things about the Delta Titanium 4.5-30×50 IR SFP Riflescope, £735 new. But is it OTT for shooting 350 yards max with a .223 Rem Tikka T3? Just to point out i don't do a lot of low light shooting, and like a bit of target shooting, but tend to do that with my hefty lump of a Tikka Tac1 in 6.5CM with a great Vortex scope that's great out to my ability of 700-900 yards. (But it's not illuminated or FFP which is what i want next??)

I was thinking more of the latest Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24×50 EBR-4 SF SFP Rifle Scope. £500 new. Or a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25×50 SFP Illuminated 30mm Riflescope for £900+

Yet more (Constructive) opinions requested???

Opinions asked elsewhere too.

Cheers

Jamie

First things first if you are not shooting at dusk or snap shooting you don’t need illumination. 

You don’t need FFP, the reticle will have a certain mag that is equal to MOA or MIL  it certainly helps that the reticle matches the turrets.

Don’t get caught up in the current fashion because it might not suit the shooting you do. 

I shoot a 223 off a bipod and buttbag at 600yd F-class aiming marks with one of these:    https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/product/vortex-viper-6-5-20x50-pa-riflescope/

Big magnification isn't really necessary for my kind of shooting. I have Sightron 8-32x scopes as well, but I rarely use them > 20x.

Pete

Thanks folks.

I'd love something nice and expensive (To me anyhow) Say a £1000. But i have a long range scope and rifle. I only need something to shoot out to 350 yards.

I agree Scotch, i'm thinking sfp, I could do illumination for dust, low light. I'd also like moa/moa, just as that's what i know.

Not getting wrapped up in scope "fashion" Not even sure what is in fashion with regards to scopes at the moment....

A very nice person at Optics Warehouse, said to have a think about a Delta Stryker 4.5-30x50 IR and SFP. But i know nothing of this scope?? I'm a bit put off by the 10 year warranty compared to the lifetime on Vortex's regardless of how many owners...

I've had a play with a forum members Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50 Gen 2 sfp illuminated which was very good of him, and a great scope.

But having done lots of research on a Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24x50 EBR-4 SF SFP Illuminated, it seems a great scope, especially for under 400 yards, and id a tad under £500, and a lifetime warranty. I just wish i knew someone who had one for some direct opinions.

Cheers Folks.

I'd say what ever you do, try to match the core features your LR scope has to any new scope to aid you switching back and forth between rifles/scopes. Core features I'm referring to are;

+ MOA or MIL reticle & turrets

+ SFP or FFP

+ Reticle type

Personally I find there's nothing worse than getting used to a reticle or turret operation, then having to remember how the other settings work again when switching rifle. Keep things consistent and you can switch back and forth without the cognitive load.

Hi Chaz....

I have the Delta titanium you are considering. Personally I love it !

I've had lots of high end scopes inc PM2, which didn't really float my boat. I've had NF 8-32 which i found inferior (optically) to the Delta, however the main reason I love the Delta is it suits my eye and the reticle is fabulous (MCZ) with a tiny centre dot and really uncluttered. The illumination is excellent too with initially just the dot illuminating and then as you wind up the illumination, the stadia begin to illuminate....nice.

If you were to consider an add-on IR it also works well with these as it has side parallax and focusses down to 10metres(ish).

If you want to have a look though one you're welcome to head up this way for a look but I think Optics Warehouse do a 7 day return so you could buy without worry. I got mine from OW and had great service from them.........loved this scope that much I changed my PM2 for the 5-50 version and love that one too !!

Regards, Rob.

p.s if you want to talk about the scope pm me and i'll drop you my mobile no.  

You will have to look through one.

Quite contrary to others opinions, I had a look through two delta's the other day, and thought they were truly awful.

Everyone's eyes are different.

30 minutes ago, baldie said:

You will have to look through one.

Quite contrary to others opinions, I had a look through two delta's the other day, and thought they were truly awful.

Everyone's eyes are different.

That's the thing Baldie. I was told that you can look through 3 of the identical make and model of scope and still find that 1 has terrible glass when comparing it to the other 2. Can that really happen??

I'm also failing to see where buying a Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24X50 EBR-4 SF SFP at £500, Or paying double to get a Gen 2 Vortex Viper 5x25-50 SFP. Both illuminated??? Would that extra £500 make that much difference over around 350 yards?

Decisions decisions.... 

Do you intend buying new....?

Why not buy a top quality used scope that has a lifetime warranty/long warranty....!

Not sure you can have too much scope.

That's the beauty of variable magnification. Turn it up or down to suit your needs

It's not all about optical clarity;  the accuracy and repeatability of the turrets is important.  I have a Vortex PST FFP and the turrets are ever so slightly under reading which is a pain at long distance settings (until I sussed the calibration in "Shooter" app).  A box test was pretty reasonable but nowhere near as precise as my Nightforce Comp. (but that's a shed load more money than Vortex).

I switch between mils and moa without too much trouble but I would agree that sticking with one measuring standard would be better.

I lost some zero stop shims for the Vortex, they shipped a handful over from the States free no problem, they do have an excellent rep for customer support.

3 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

It's not all about optical clarity;  the accuracy and repeatability of the turrets is important.  

This !!

All very well seeing your target with crystal clear clarity but rather pointless if you have dialled in x number of moa elevation and the true elevation was actually y ( and a bit of accidental windage with the worst offenders )

I have a tatty old Nightforce NXS - in 2006 it started life mounted to a rifle used in maritime security and being manhandled on cargo nets from ship to ship or thrown about in various thirld world armouries while awaiting next ship to arrive.

Then I got it ( among 20 others which I sold ) and it was the tattiest cosmetically so rather than sell it for pennies, I kept it. It has been on countless rifles, won me several trophies and medals and is now retired to my stalking rifle. 

It never lost zero and has always been impeccable when it comes to repeatability. 

I have Nightforce on all my rifles now with one exception - my Mini McQueen setup - and that only has a Leupold due to the better field of view ( I can see the whole 50m rimfire castle at high mag )

• 3 weeks later...

Id go with the gen ll vortex , the mk ls had issues but this new one should be better / more reliable . Im looking to purchase a gen ll vortex because the leupold i want is now NLA damn .

If you're only shooting out to 350yds, nothing is critical other than turret repeatability and even then, not that critical.

Here are two (15-shot) F-Class targets I shot recently using an -old- Tasco SS 16X on my light-weight 6.5x47L over a Harris bipod. The wind was not steady in case you're wondering.

KOcSBK.jpg

lE4MB1.jpg

This scope was chucked on there as I'd robbed the big Nightforce for the new .284.  You can see that you don't need huge magnification to hit stuff, even at 600yds. I was aiming at 1/4MOA squares placed 2MOA above the target centre.

You dont need an over specified scope with bells and whistles chaz so a fully featured  5-30 is pointless for 350 yds imho.  Keep it simple.  Put the cash into optical quality and repeatability.

A used top tier scooe like a used nightforce or s&b is what I'd buy in a max zoom of 4-18 × 44 or 4-18 x 56 or max 5-25 x 56.  New I'd buy a vortex gen 2 viper pst...job done.  One if my all time favourite scopes for my 223 was a leupold 5-14 × 50 with bdc ret.  Really good scope for about £400 used.  I now have a nightforce nsx on it which was also used and cost about £900.  I won't sell that one.  Great unclutteted  np2 ret and battleship build with decent turret adjusters and fabulous resolution if not as bright or as wide fov as my pm2.

That has accounted for a lot of successful hits on small quarry out to 400yds, is quick and easy to dial for even wearing gloves and will take lots if abuse.

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the late response.

I went for a Vortex gen ll. From memory, 5-25 x50 and i'm chuffed to bits with it.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards

Chaz.

Good choice sir , hope it fulfils your needs ...