1 in 12 twist .223 Savage

Watcher

I've recently fallen from the path of righteousness; sold my TR and bought a Savage Model 12 BVSS in .223 with a 1 in 12 barrel. Basically I was getting too old for all the jacket and sling thing (nothing wrong with it - just me). I know that my F Class pals will tell me that I have the wrong twist barrel but it was a good deal and its a nice looking gun. I've got a load of N140 from my TR days and a pal has sold me half a pot of Varget. I've bought a box of Hornady 52 grain ELD match to start my reloading journey. I don't want to buy any more powder just at the minute so can anyone guide me on where to start? I'm reluctant to shell out for the Hornady manual until I'm more certain which way I'll go reloading wise. 

TIA

Matthew

The 52gn Hornady match is a good choice for 1:12 twist 223s. The BVSS is an excellent platform too to build an F/TR rifle on should you decide to rebarrel it in the future either in fast-twist 223 or 308 Win (requiring a bolt-head swap - a cheap conversion and 5 minutes work taking the bolt apart and reassembling it). I'd also do a cleaning rod and tight patch check-the-rifling-pitch test on the rifle as it now stands as many BVSSs were supplied with 1:9 twist barrels letting you load 70gn match bullets.

Both VarGet and N140 will work with 52s, but are a bit slow burning. (Note too that you'll have trouble getting a replacement supply of VarGet should you like the results as its importation into Europe has been banned since last June, thanks to the EU and its Reach regulations.)

In the days when I shot thousands of its AMax predecessor in a 12 twist Remy VS I found that a step faster burning powders, particularly Viht N133, gave me the best results.

Archived