Atlas cal gen 2 bipod

If you don't need the panning feature, they are fine. All of my Atlas are the ones with the legs that rotate. A real annoyance with some feet. This model is fixed and that is a plus. Have been moving to some of the MagPul bipods for ease of use AND the non rotating legs.~Andrew

9 hours ago, stephentri said:

Anyone like to share their views on straight line recoil when bipod is panned 

Shooting off a bipod which is panned is a contravention of one of the basic principles of marksmanship, in my humble opinion.

If you need to engage a target that is not directly in front - it is easy to move the whole bipod / rifle to the correct position ( and move your body too ) so your position remains relaxed rather than slightly contorted away from your natural position pre-panning.

Which is why ski feet which allow both forwards and backwards movement ( ie - inclined leading edge and both ends ) are ideal. You can move without lifting the rifle.

You go to all the trouble of doing your best to be consistent in your shooting - why on earth would you want to ruin all of that by shooting with your position and hold totally changed when you pan your bipod ?

And follow through will be totally different - the recoil characteristics of a panned rifle are totally different to one held in a natural position without undue force applied.

Obviously - the military ( who are shooting at 6x4" and bigger, torso sized targets ) sometimes need to rapidly engage multiple and moving targets so panning bipods are a requirement. But its not conducive to precision shooting ! 

I use the 5H along with a Rempel bipod and I lock the pan up ... Am i convinced it makes any difference ... No but if it does in your head then that's all that matters .

I can see where the 'pan' would be useful in a McQueens comp or similar so I guess better to have it and not need it etc

OSOK

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2019 at 12:28 PM, OSOK said:

I use the 5H along with a Rempel bipod and I lock the pan up ... Am i convinced it makes any difference ... No but if it does in your head then that's all that matters .

I can see where the 'pan' would be useful in a McQueens comp or similar so I guess better to have it and not need it etc

OSOK

I’m thinking of buying a 5h and I was wondering if you can lock the pan and still have a tight tilt ?

Steve , If you lock up the tilt it will still pan , by screwing in the front screw you will reduce the pan but not completely eliminate it . The only way of locking the pan completely is to locate the front screw into the center postion and then lock it from underneath , this has the issue that the tilt is then only set for level ground . I love the 5H however it is flawed in that respect . We all have different needs from a bipod and a perfect upgrade for me would be a 5H that didn't pan but would have a much better fulcrum than the Atlas Cal 2

OSOK

On 3/25/2019 at 9:30 AM, OSOK said:

Steve , If you lock up the tilt it will still pan , by screwing in the front screw you will reduce the pan but not completely eliminate it . The only way of locking the pan completely is to locate the front screw into the center postion and then lock it from underneath , this has the issue that the tilt is then only set for level ground . I love the 5H however it is flawed in that respect . We all have different needs from a bipod and a perfect upgrade for me would be a 5H that didn't pan but would have a much better fulcrum than the Atlas Cal 2

OSOK

That’s exactly what I was worried about, I’ve got the cal gen2 and it’s fantastic without the pan!

• 1 month later...