What calibre to go for on a .308 case.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Chanonry said:

65Creed ? Yawn...

22 Middlestead

Yeah, you can buy that in gun shops everywhere, the shelves are absolutely heaving with it and also .224 Valkyrie in .308 sized cases

its a wonder not everyone is buying it up!!!

27 minutes ago, bradders said:

Yeah, you can buy that in gun shops everywhere, the shelves are absolutely heaving with it and also .224 Valkyrie in .308 sized cases

its a wonder not everyone is buying it up!!!

He was looking for a new barrel, not a new production rifle ?  Anyway, obscure humour aside...

243 radically different more mv, chamber it for a 107 SMK or similar and you have a very ballistically efficient round that will tuck inside the 6.5's (just) but will be flatter with even less recoil. No need for fancy cases, it runs just fine, plenty of mag space, you can use factory ammo and dies etc are widely available, cheaper etc etc.

Otherwise I don't see the point unless you are going to be out at 1000yards all the time. With decent reloading 308 gets close enough to its close relations to make the cost of rebarelling unrealistic for marginal gains. Unless a) its what you want to do - sod it or b) you do a lot of shooting close to 1000yards.  Buying some Berger 155's or 185's is a lot cheaper than a new barrel.

To the OP, a little different approach given the criteria for factory ammunition. Start with a baseline of what your 308 win with good match ammunition will do at 300m say with 167g scenars or 168g smk’s and 155g scrnars/smk’s at 600m. If Shooting around 50 rounds a month are you going to notice a difference with another caliber? 50 rounds a week may be different  question.

Look at or download the major European manufacturers catalogues ( Norma, Lapua, Sako, not S&B shite) see what .473 case head based cases in 6mm or 6.5mm are available in all 3 or at least 2 catalogues - with match grade bullets. You will likely discount some very good boutique rounds such as 6mm Swiss Match and probably be left with cartridges like 6mmbr, 6.5x47 Lapua and 6.5 Creed.

6mmbr ( what I would do) is possibly the most accurate out to your stated max 600m, has the least recoil and longest barrel life. It may not be a mag feeder though - I would ask Ronin or Baldie on hear as excellent rifle smiths if it could be made to work if you wanted a mag feeder - other than that a mag sledge to make it single shot would work.

Mag feeders would be 6.5x47 and the newish better than sliced bread 6.5 Creed. Downsides compared to 6br would be shorter barrel life and a little more recoil. At 600m max I am not sure that we are getting into any real ballistic advantage.

3 hours ago, Chanonry said:

He was looking for a new barrel, not a new production rifle ?  Anyway, obscure humour aside...

243 radically different more mv, chamber it for a 107 SMK or similar and you have a very ballistically efficient round that will tuck inside the 6.5's (just) but will be flatter with even less recoil. No need for fancy cases, it runs just fine, plenty of mag space, you can use factory ammo and dies etc are widely available, cheaper etc etc.

Otherwise I don't see the point unless you are going to be out at 1000yards all the time. With decent reloading 308 gets close enough to its close relations to make the cost of rebarelling unrealistic for marginal gains. Unless a) its what you want to do - sod it or b) you do a lot of shooting close to 1000yards.  Buying some Berger 155's or 185's is a lot cheaper than a new barrel.

Actually Phil said “would like a spare barrel but fancy a change to a dedicated accurate target round that I can buy factory ammo for.

so there!

34 minutes ago, bradders said:

Actually Phil said “would like a spare barrel but fancy a change to a dedicated accurate target round that I can buy factory ammo for.

so there!

Actually he was asking 'what calibre to go for on a 308 case'.

In which case as already suggested, 243 fast twist chambered for 105 Berger's. 

8 minutes ago, MJR said:

Actually he was asking 'what calibre to go for on a 308 case'.

In which case as already suggested, 243 fast twist chambered for 105 Berger's. 

Is .243 a .22 Middlestead or a .224 Baldielocks? and can you get .243 ammo with 6mm 105gn Bergers over here?

You may think I'm missing a few brain cells, but I'm pretty sure Mr Winnall ain't no reloader, d'you know different?

.224 Baldielocks isn't even a .308 sized case, so God only knows why that was mentioned....oh wait, it's UKV 🤣

Bradders, The OP asked for a Calibre he could buy factory ammunition for.  243 ammunition is readily available and in case  you missed the point again it is a 308 size case. I suggested clambering for 105 Berger as it is a very capable long range bullet that I would use, i.e like making a suggestion....or idea.

14 minutes ago, MJR said:

Bradders, The OP asked for a Calibre he could buy factory ammunition for.  243 ammunition is readily available and in case  you missed the point again it is a 308 size case. I suggested clambering for 105 Berger as it is a very capable long range bullet that I would use, i.e like making a suggestion....or idea.

I know .243 ammo is readily available, but is it available with a 105gn bullet such as a Berger?

Anyway, i didn't actually see your post, i was drawn to the suggestions of .22 Middlestead and .224 Baldie-Wan-Kenobi, which would only be .308 sized if you wrapped it in Frog Tape!

I feel this is all moot though as rebarrelling a Sig 3000 isn't as easy as some may think due to the shortage of barrel extns, but I reckon you can get a 6.5x55 factory barrel, someone has already mentioned that calibre

6.5/55 seems the sensible option for a factory ammo calibre 

buy a barrel from Vapensmia and bobs your uncle 

They are also pretty cheap when you look at direct krone / gbp especially if bought over there as the op has said they travel there for work 

Barrelled extensions are also available from Norway and Sweden fairly easy to get hold of and heat treated properly

On 2/25/2019 at 2:48 PM, pwinnall said:

Hello,

I'm looking for ideas.

I have a Sig Sauer .308  SSG 3000

I would like a spare barrel but fancy a change to a dedicated accurate target round that I can buy factory ammo for.

The current barrel .308  24" I was going to get cut down to 18" and use it for stalking.

Then a new barrel for target work. I don't shoot any ranges above 600 but I would like an accurate round.

Any ideas?   I know the 6.5 x 47 was in favour but it seems to gone over to 6.5 creedmoor now.

I need to put in for a variation, so there is no rush.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Phil

You say the new barrel is for target so 6.5CM seems the logical one as you want to use factory ammo.

1 hour ago, Moorlander said:

You say the new barrel is for target so 6.5CM seems the logical one as you want to use factory ammo.

And that is precisely why he should get a .224 Baldiestead in .22 Creedlap chambered in a 6.8 SPC sized case with plumbers mate slathered over it to make it fit 🤣

What Ronin said! Consider the 6.5x55. It is the standard caliber for all sports shooting in Scandinavia. It is old, but proven and your rifle is designed for the cartrigde. You will need different mags but they are not that expensive. 

Cheap barrels, very good ammo for a decent price (at least in Denmark) Lapua, Norma, sako all make match ammo with many different bullets and weigths for the caliber.

As precision rifle is getting popular in Scandinavia, people are starting to make alot of aftermarket stuff for the str200/ssg3000

The chassis Ronin linked to, their first batch has just been sent to customers...

Another option on the market now. https//www.skytterlinken.no/vision-chassis-for-sauer-200-str

McMillan also does a stock for the rifle.

35 minutes ago, Tralle said:

What Ronin said! Consider the 6.5x55. It is the standard caliber for all sports shooting in Scandinavia. It is old, but proven and your rifle is designed for the cartrigde. You will need different mags but they are not that expensive. 

Cheap barrels, very good ammo for a decent price (at least in Denmark) Lapua, Norma, sako all make match ammo with many different bullets and weigths for the caliber.

As precision rifle is getting popular in Scandinavia, people are starting to make alot of aftermarket stuff for the str200/ssg3000

The chassis Ronin linked to, their first batch has just been sent to customers...

Another option on the market now. https//www.skytterlinken.no/vision-chassis-for-sauer-200-str

I made enquiries about STR200 rifles, but the waiting time and cost proved prohibitive in the end, I’d love one though

1 hour ago, Tralle said:

Wow ,,,,,

at 1700 gbp the chassis is a bit spendy 

To the OP, what do you mean by using a 308 case please? I understand it literally ( but then only a 308 win case is a 308 win case even 7.62x51 is not quite the same so anything necked up /down shoulder bumped etc is different). However “parent” 308 case is a lot more inclusive eg the parent case for 6mmbr is 308win. If you just want it to fit the bolt head and mag then stuff like 6.5x55 with a .480” case head diameter will also work. Please don’t take this as being pedantic I’m not getting my knickers in a twist about it but it seems  oddly to me to be causing others some angst.

I guess having said that 6mmbr would be my choice I want to flesh it out. Firstly now I only shoot services calibres (223, 308, 338) so take it for what it’s worth. Having said that I have shot a lot of other kit. I have also won 1km comps with 6.5x55 in a blaser  lrs2 and other comps with 260 rem RPA Quadlite. That matters not one bit except that with either of those 2 calibres/ rifles I know that I could not consistently shoot 10 shot 5 cm groups at 300m with 10 minute and 3 minute time limits and that is now the standard to achieve for 300m belly benchrest here - plus it has to be very well centered. I have seen a Sako TRG do it in 308win but it is done a lot more often with 6br and custom rifles. In fact I would say you have to be consistently achieving that to be in the game.

How you choose to go about it depends on what personal goals you wish to achieve I guess.  

I think he is Limited to 308 case lenghts because of the magazines.

As far as i know the Str/ssg is single shot with, 6mmbr. I have seen some online modify their magazines to feed it.

@Ronin

Locally, used str's is put online with asking prices of around 700 with plenty extra magazines and gear. Depending on condition of course. 

I do belive the sports shooters get them cheap due to some subsidising to make the sport more accesible. But i am not sure.  

Another neat feature is that a .22lr conversion kit is available for training indoors in the off season. 

14 minutes ago, Tralle said:

I think he is Limited to 308 case lenghts because of the magazines.

As far as i know the Str/ssg is single shot with, 6mmbr. I have seen some online modify their magazines to feed it.

@Ronin

Locally, used str's is put online with asking prices of around 700 with plenty extra magazines and gear. Depending on condition of course. 

I do belive the sports shooters get them cheap due to some subsidising to make the sport more accesible. But i am not sure.  

Another neat feature is that a .22lr conversion kit is available for training indoors in the off season. 

I’d love to find a 200 STR for 700 (Euros I imagine)

5 minutes ago, bradders said:

I’d love to find a 200 STR for 700 (Euros I imagine)

Pounds.

6000 Danish kroner

But it is hard to tell the condition from a add online, and some of the rifles have fired thousands of rounds. 

There was an STR on guntrader two weeks ago - it went in two days at 750 I think 

Archived