What calibre to go for on a .308 case.

Hello,

I'm looking for ideas.

I have a Sig Sauer .308  SSG 3000

I would like a spare barrel but fancy a change to a dedicated accurate target round that I can buy factory ammo for.

The current barrel .308  24" I was going to get cut down to 18" and use it for stalking.

Then a new barrel for target work. I don't shoot any ranges above 600 but I would like an accurate round.

Any ideas?   I know the 6.5 x 47 was in favour but it seems to gone over to 6.5 creedmoor now.

I need to put in for a variation, so there is no rush.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Phil

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally couldn't recommend a 6x47L. I've got one and the parent cartridge as well, and as you sometimes see mentioned, the smaller brother is nowhere  near as forgiving as its parent. They can be plain fussy. They're also much harder on barrels. Stick with the orig 6.5 would be my advice and I doubt you'll be disappointed.

If you want to keep with factory bullets. It might be worth looking at .260rem. 

as you say the creedmore is the popular thing at the min (until something new comes out) but I'm not sure how many different  factory loads there are to try. 

It is worth bearing in mind that whatever caliber a barrel extension will be needed for other than factory barrels as the bolt locks into the barrel not the receiver. They are available but I would check that you can still fit factory barrels after (should not be an issue). 

Get the idea here - benchmark do barrels and extensions but are US. I have seen European versions though from Norway.

http://benchmark-barrels.com/Benchmark_Barrels/Benchmark_Barrels_-_SSG_Extensions.html

For up to 600m, 6br would be my choice with Norma and Lapua making ammunition. It may not feed from your mag though. Same .4728 / .473 bolt face.

ps. If your not reloading then a reasonable way to tune the gun to the ammo is with a Boss type brake/ tuner. Harrell do decent ones.

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/tuner-brakes

1 hour ago, Scotch_egg said:

Did any one read that the OP wanted to be able to buy factory ammunition. 

6XC and 6.5X47 are very expensive in factory offerings. Also hard to find.

6.5 creedmoor has a lot more offerings available. Probably your best option in the U.K. right now. 

I've bought 3 flavours of Norma ammo for my 6XC to date.

Regards 

JCS

Would you consider 6.5x284 necked to 7mm same bolt for 308. 1-8 30" heavy profile barrel. Shooting Scenar L 180s.

This is the way I went.

Nick

6.5 Creedmoor.  24 inch barrel. 

Ammunition is superb with Hornady 143 ELD-X for a starter, inherent accuracy is there and it's smooth to shoot.  I have the 20" Bergara B15 HMR ((£1147 RRP) and it puts three into one hole (Here we go, that's not a group !!!. )   It will do for me.

I’d be tempted to explore the 224 Valkyrie over the 6.5CM especially if you are shooting inside 600 yards and want a longer barrel life. Factory ammo is probably easier to obtain in the 6.5CM but 224 ammo is crazy cheap in the US so if you had some imported it would probably still be cost effective esp factoring in barrel life. 

11 minutes ago, TJC said:

I’d be tempted to explore the 224 Valkyrie over the 6.5CM especially if you are shooting inside 600 yards and want a longer barrel life. Factory ammo is probably easier to obtain in the 6.5CM but 224 ammo is crazy cheap in the US so if you had some imported it would probably still be cost effective esp factoring in barrel life. 

Great if we could buy a 224V factory bolt action rifle in UK, then the cheap factory ammo might be useful. 

There’s a company in Norway that make barrels for the str200 and ssg 3000

they use Shultz and Larsen, blaser, sauer and Lothar barrels and make their own barrel extensions 

the company whose name excapes me (begins with v) are well known in Scandinavia 

the ssg 3000 mag wont accept 6.5 -284 brass - it’s too large diameter

I would consider 6.5/55 as a viable option personally with that rifle 

you could get a bench mark barrel from the through pgs Precision too 

Very nearly bought a ssg3000 just after Xmas but had to pull out after the pick up suffered an expensive part breakdown 

2 hours ago, meles meles said:

Such rifles are available from baldie's factory, each one a superb bespoke hole puncher.

Not for me thank you. Only consider a factory factory. Not convinced about calibre to invest in a big way. If bespoke i would opt for 22-204 or even 22 Grendel over 224 Valkyrie. Pre fit barrel for a switch barrel or rechambering u likely options. 

4 hours ago, Ronin said:

There’s a company in Norway that make barrels for the str200 and ssg.....the company whose name excapes me (begins with v) are well known in Scandinavia 

Site won’t let me type it for some reason. I presume they’ve upset someone.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

6.5 creedmoore seems a good option as they are popular now too.

I do go to Norway and Sweden with my job so I could do some investigation when I’m there. There is a Jet-01 chassis too in Sweden for the SSG 3000.

I will keep you posted of the work I will do on the SSG 

5 hours ago, Ronin said:

they use Shultz and Larsen, blaser, sauer and Lothar barrels and make their own barrel extensions 

Very nearly bought a ssg3000 just after Xmas but had to pull out after the pick up suffered an expensive part breakdown 

Shame, the SSG is a lovely rifle and with the barrel change option really good value.

The action is as solid as a rock with a very smooth bolt. Well worth getting one. 

On 2/25/2019 at 10:50 PM, ds1 said:

It is worth bearing in mind that whatever caliber a barrel extension will be needed for other than factory barrels as the bolt locks into the barrel not the receiver. They are available but I would check that you can still fit factory barrels after (should not be an issue). 

Get the idea here - benchmark do barrels and extensions but are US. I have seen European versions though from Norway.

http://benchmark-barrels.com/Benchmark_Barrels/Benchmark_Barrels_-_SSG_Extensions.html

For up to 600m, 6br would be my choice with Norma and Lapua making ammunition. It may not feed from your mag though. Same .4728 / .473 bolt face.

ps. If your not reloading then a reasonable way to tune the gun to the ammo is with a Boss type brake/ tuner. Harrell do decent ones.

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/tuner-brakes

Thank you. I have never heard of a tuner for a rifle. I have seen compensators on shotguns. But not for full bore 

thanks for the info 

On 2/25/2019 at 10:28 PM, Scotch_egg said:

Did any one read that the OP wanted to be able to buy factory ammunition. 

6XC and 6.5X47 are very expensive in factory offerings. Also hard to find.

6.5 creedmoor has a lot more offerings available. Probably your best option in the U.K. right now. 

Thanks, I think the creedmoor too. 

19 minutes ago, pwinnall said:

Thank you. I have never heard of a tuner for a rifle. I have seen compensators on shotguns. But not for full bore 

thanks for the info 

Quite a few F Class shooters use tuners.  Check out this article on tuners http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/?paged=68&cat=55

I've just fitted a tuner for Laurie Holland - he is going to do some in-depth testing for Target Shooter to see if - and how - they work.

There you go - the link to the barrel supplier in Norway

https://www.vapensmia.no/

I also attempted to contact the maker of the Jet chassis re possibility of getting one sent to the UK - looks idea for PRL

But got zero response 

13 hours ago, Ronin said:

27 minutes ago, Ronin said:

There you go - the link to the barrel supplier in Norway

https://www.vapensmia.no/

I also attempted to contact the maker of the Jet chassis re possibility of getting one sent to the UK - looks idea for PRL

But got zero response 

This was a route I too once explored...and also got the same response as you.

As I understand it, it's not really a commercial outfit, more a guy in his shed doing it now and then for friends / close customers. 

The chassis is available through these people

https://www.langhold.no/products/jet-01-sauer-200str-chassis-system

Though it’s nearly 2 k to buy ,,,,,

Sig Sauer also made a chassis for the SSG 3000 which sometimes come up for sale on the states and there’s a guy in Russia who also makes a chassis for the STR 200 / SSG 3000 (as well as R93 Blaser)

I believe that MPA also has the SSG inlet listed in their chassis inventory 

Archived