bolt action .224 Valkyrie

Just got this back from the proof house .

After the success of the .224 valkyrie in both barrel lengths, built on an AR15, I decided to build a bolt action, as I felt the cartridge could be pushed just that little bit more , from a bolt gun.

Hoe0vYJ.jpg

The Bighorn TL3 action is fitted with a 6.8 SPC bolt head, and I then made up a 24" barrel for it.

The blank is one of Sassen's cut rifled 1-7" Twists, in a Rem varmint profile.

beautiful blanks, and this was no different. No copper in it from proof.

Muzzle is threaded m18 x 1 and has one of my brakes.

xRBrnhV.jpg

All bead blasted.

Trigger is a Bix n Andy.

Stock is a McMillan Game scout, and the usual full bedding all the way through.

Floorplate is a Stiller unit.

Magazines are AI 10 rounders, fitted with my 6mmBr conversion, which feeds Valkyrie, beautifully.

yOqMX5C.jpg

Fitted it with my old NXS 2.5-10 and titanium mounts.

This will be used by me for CSR this season, along with the AR in the same calibre.

I'm following this with great interest as it's ala well and good reading about a new  calibre  that's meant to be a big improvement  but I feel like I can trust what Dave has too say regarding real world performance walts and all.

Thats a stunning rifle 

Excellent looking bit of kit, and almost certainly a shooter as well as a looker. We're also going to keep an eye on Dave's exploits with this. When .224 V was introduced we felt it was just more marketing hype to sell into the .223 market but from the results we've read so far it does look a genuinely useful new cartridge.

As an afterthought, what is the availability of brass like for .224V now? Any particularly good bullets recommended for it?

the starline brass is readily available, and its half decent. I also have some Federal inbound to try.

The cartridge seems to shoot anything. Its designed for heavies though, and i've finally settled on the 90 grain sierra Matchking.

Had great results with the nosler RDF in different weights too.

Been waiting for this since you did the other one , would love to see its accuracy potential and ballistics with the 90 grainer . Once its ran in / found good load etc all the best . 

ps its nice to be different B)

Had a morning with it yesterday.

All I had loaded were some leftovers from the AR build.

These were 90 grain SMK's and some 85 grain RDF's, in fairly sedate loads.

The barrel appeared to break in at around 20 rounds, and the gun then started producing 1/2" 5 rd groups with both bullets.

It was limited somewhat by the 10 power scope fitted, but so far seems to be proving my theory that its going to work better in a bolt gun. There is plenty of room for more powder, as the primers were perfectly round, and no hint of stiff bolt lift.

It was doing 2750 with an sd of 9 with these underpowered loads.

Recoil was very mild, and the gun very pleasant to shoot.

One thing that really bugs me is theres plenty 224 wildcat calibers to try or own but the heavy weight bullet in 224 are all target / non expanding etc- i think ?  from memory the 80 A-max or now 77-TMK are the heavyist that one could possibly use ! . Now a company that would bring out say 70 / 80 / 90 grain varmint bullets i think would do very well sales wise ... atb...

• 8 months later...

Haven't had any time to pursue anything further Meles.

I've just picked up another MIL scope, which now sees me fully switched to MIL from MOA, on all my rifles. I need to have a small switch around, and drop a Kahles onto the bolt gun, then some serious load development will ensue.

The bolt gun has great promise, as it will run hotter than the AR.

Hi Dave, a mate has ordered a JP Rifles 224 V  ( semi-auto ) which I think I will be doing the reloading for - so a good chance to steal it at every opportunity- really want to see if it will hold its own out to 800m and possibly use it in a comp or two. Already have the brass and Berger hybrids. 

Oh it will hold its own....you will be very surprised Dave.

That sounds nice, the JP stuff is excellent quality.

You want 90 grain bullets, preferably matchings, and RS52 powder. 4895 is the Darling in the states, but not for us "europeans"

Dave , please post progress on your load development and some pikkys ? Pretty please - all the best ..

Neither. They feed from my 6mmBr converted AICS mags.

Some of the yanks have messed about altering lips on the polymer .223 mags, but the 6mm conversion works far better.

• 4 months later...
On 11/24/2019 at 10:15 PM, baldie said:

Neither. They feed from my 6mmBr converted AICS mags.

Some of the yanks have messed about altering lips on the polymer .223 mags, but the 6mm conversion works far better.

Dave,

Did you use the SAAMI spec reamer, or did you add a .115 free bore as well?

I'm running a Valk out of an Origin, and wish I had cut the freebore beyond SAAMI spec.  Using 2000MR, I'm getting great velocities with 77gr pills, but with the bullet seated so deep, I literally can't add more powder without crushing the nose when seating.  Makes it frustrating seeing all that extra space in the mag (mod'ed MDT 6BR mags), being unusable because of the chamber.  Grrrr.... 😎

Its SAAMI spec as far as I know buddy.

I'm using a 90 grain SMK, and it looks about right, throat wise ?

Not a lot of point in extending the throat for more capacity, the starline brass I'm using can be trashed if not careful, with what I can get in now.

Going to have another session with it hopefully soon. I think the powder is right, it certainly shoots, but the ES's are disappointing. I'm thinking that's down to the first firing on the brass though.

Just my two pennies worth, and I'm not saying this as I have one, but there's really not much different ballistically (in a bolt gun) between a 22 PPC in a suitable fast twist barrel, and the 224 Valkyrie. Obviously the latter has a case designed to feed better and slightly less than a grain extra capacity, but that's it. Also, when you fiddle with both in QuickLOAD, the max velocities are almost identical with the same bullet and powder, most likely due to the efficient shape of the PPC case. Oh, and that's not using an increased COAL for the .22 PPC USA?

11 hours ago, baldie said:

Its SAAMI spec as far as I know buddy.

I'm using a 90 grain SMK, and it looks about right, throat wise ?

Not a lot of point in extending the throat for more capacity, the starline brass I'm using can be trashed if not careful, with what I can get in now.

Going to have another session with it hopefully soon. I think the powder is right, it certainly shoots, but the ES's are disappointing. I'm thinking that's down to the first firing on the brass though.

I'm not familiar with RS powders, but after looking at it on line, and comparing load data to known cartridges, it (RS52) certainly seems to be a "4895 like" powder.

What ES's are you seeing?  I've been noticing that large ES numbers, with heavy for caliber bullets, is usually a sign that there's some squirrely ignition issues due to burn rate and load density.  Purely a suspicion on my part, with no real evidence to back it up (just anecdotal).  It's just something I've seen with CFE223 and a couple of the other faster burning powders (that in theory are temperature insensitive).  I'm wondering if the coatings used to help the powder remain temp insensitive are causing this... <shrug>

I'll be curious to see how you make out, and as always, I appreciate your response.

Hi Buddy,

Yes, 4895 seems to be the "go to" powder you chaps are using to good effect over there.

I have 1 tub left, then I can't get it any more, so haven't bothered upsetting myself !

The ES's are around 40, and while its bug holing at 100 yards, those figures are going to be no good at long range. I'm using CCI 450 primers, but may have a play with some BR4's next time out with it.

Regarding CFE223, i've tried it in all sorts, with the same horrendous figures, dont rate the stuff at all.

ATB Dave.

IME, CFE223 works well in .223 with lighter bullets (55gr and below), but with anything heavy (75gr ELDM) it just starts throwing buck shot patterns.  I'll be hitting life size steel rabbits at 540yds, then the next two will be flyers off to one direction or the other,  then the next two back on. The only thing I can figure is some weird ignition, being a double based, fine kernal,  powder.  The charges are within .04grs, and using FGMM SRP's with NAMMO/Lapua brass.  Switch to XBR8208, and the problem magically goes away.  Go figure.

And yes, I agree, 40fps ES are not going to fare well for LR.  That'll make for some pretty good vertical dispersion at range...  I think you may be on the right track though, getting away from the magnum primers; especially in such a small case.  Reloading for long range...it's a sickness. 😋

ATB,

Tim