UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
baldie

bolt action .224 Valkyrie

Just got this back from the proof house .

After the success of the .224 valkyrie in both barrel lengths, built on an AR15, I decided to build a bolt action, as I felt the cartridge could be pushed just that little bit more , from a bolt gun.

Hoe0vYJ.jpg

The Bighorn TL3 action is fitted with a 6.8 SPC bolt head, and I then made up a 24" barrel for it.

The blank is one of Sassen's cut rifled 1-7" Twists, in a Rem varmint profile.

beautiful blanks, and this was no different. No copper in it from proof.

Muzzle is threaded m18 x 1 and has one of my brakes.

xRBrnhV.jpg

All bead blasted.

Trigger is a Bix n Andy.

Stock is a McMillan Game scout, and the usual full bedding all the way through.

Floorplate is a Stiller unit.

Magazines are AI 10 rounders, fitted with my 6mmBr conversion, which feeds Valkyrie, beautifully.

yOqMX5C.jpg

Fitted it with my old NXS 2.5-10 and titanium mounts.

This will be used by me for CSR this season, along with the AR in the same calibre.

Another belter Dave, will be very interested in how it shoots, look forward to a range report ūüĎć

I'm following this with great interest as it's ala well and good reading about a new  calibre  that's meant to be a big improvement  but I feel like I can trust what Dave has too say regarding real world performance walts and all.

Thats a stunning rifle 

Excellent looking bit of kit, and almost certainly a shooter as well as a looker. We're also going to keep an eye on Dave's exploits with this. When .224 V was introduced we felt it was just more marketing hype to sell into the .223 market but from the results we've read so far it does look a genuinely useful new cartridge.

As an afterthought, what is the availability of brass like for .224V now? Any particularly good bullets recommended for it?

the starline brass is readily available, and its half decent. I also have some Federal inbound to try.

The cartridge seems to shoot anything. Its designed for heavies though, and i've finally settled on the 90 grain sierra Matchking.

Had great results with the nosler RDF in different weights too.

Been waiting for this since you did the other one , would love to see its accuracy potential and ballistics with the 90 grainer . Once its ran in / found good load etc all the best . 

ps its nice to be different B)

Had a morning with it yesterday.

All I had loaded were some leftovers from the AR build.

These were 90 grain SMK's and some 85 grain RDF's, in fairly sedate loads.

The barrel appeared to break in at around 20 rounds, and the gun then started producing 1/2" 5 rd groups with both bullets.

It was limited somewhat by the 10 power scope fitted, but so far seems to be proving my theory that its going to work better in a bolt gun. There is plenty of room for more powder, as the primers were perfectly round, and no hint of stiff bolt lift.

It was doing 2750 with an sd of 9 with these underpowered loads.

Recoil was very mild, and the gun very pleasant to shoot.

One thing that really bugs me is theres plenty 224 wildcat calibers to try or own but the heavy weight bullet in 224 are all target / non expanding etc- i think ?  from memory the 80 A-max or now 77-TMK are the heavyist that one could possibly use ! . Now a company that would bring out say 70 / 80 / 90 grain varmint bullets i think would do very well sales wise ... atb...