Something a bit different and a bit of fun.

Been after something a bit different for a bit of fun at my local club , but had no clue as to what I should get . 

I did know that I wanted it to be Cheep to feed ,  easy to reload for ,  open sight for 50/75 m , with a bit of history. And most of all puts a grin on my face  😁

anyway after some kind club members letting me have a go with different types and styles of rifles I quite fancied going down the Under lever route , but didn’t fancy the normal .357 /.44 mag  . Nor did I want one of the modern stainless types , absolutely nothing wrong with them , I just wanted something a bit more classical I spose . 

So .... I done some reading , and some more reading and finally put the paperwork in . And tonight I finally picked it up . 

An Uberti / Winchester 1873 in the original 44/40 or 44 WCF 

its the sporting rifle with half octagonal 24.5 “ barrel 

Cheers bob , 

youve just hit the nail right on the head . FUN 

i love my big bolt guns and my chassis rifles , and shooting at distance.

but sometimes when you don’t fancy driving for hours with all your kit ,  freezing cold blah blah.  Every now and then it’s nice to open the cabinet and  think sod it , I’m gonna nip down the local club and just have some fun with the .44 win open sights at 75 m . 

I’m looking forward to loading for it too. As I’m going to go proper old school and shoot the 44/40 as it should be  with a .44  head and 40 grains of black powder (  for those that don’t know , that’s how it got it’s name 👍

Here's a pic of mine. I bought it second hand - really wanted octaganol barrel and colour case hardened. Gunsmith says I've got this one - round barrel, finished in the white, beautiful woodwork. I was smitten, immediately!!! It has some age to it, possibly 20 to 30 years old but the action is very slick, Marlins and Rossis feel agricultural compared to it. Like shooting open sights too - just scored 298/300 at T&P1 gallery rifle practice on Sunday.

20170106_214352 (1).jpg

20170106_214407.jpg

20170106_214453.jpg

3 hours ago, Lever357 said:

Here's a pic of mine. I bought it second hand - really wanted octaganol barrel and colour case hardened. Gunsmith says I've got this one - round barrel, finished in the white, beautiful woodwork. I was smitten, immediately!!! It has some age to it, possibly 20 to 30 years old but the action is very slick, Marlins and Rossis feel agricultural compared to it. Like shooting open sights too - just scored 298/300 at T&P1 gallery rifle practice on Sunday.

20170106_214352 (1).jpg

20170106_214407.jpg

20170106_214453.jpg

Lovely that, loads of fun☺

Archived