UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts

4 hours ago, Scotch_egg said:

They are indeed now using Green Mountain barrels following alleged issues with Tooley and Bartlein. 

I am not going to comment on the reasons for the change. 

Why not?

Spill the beans

Mark,

you are correct, apologies, what I meant was an all metal ‘girder’ type rifle 

T

8 hours ago, bradders said:

It’s not a chassis

Correct Mark, however Q have just released a Fix Chassis for the Remington 700 on instagram 3 hours ago. 

69A436CA-9C7B-4ED6-AF92-7723D393E9D4.png

Dave, it looks lovely. The only thing I noticed from some of the YouTube vids were people were doing a lot of head lifting when cycling the bolt. One bloke didn’t which suggest bad technique from the rest but a fast bolt should be one of its best features, how do you find it in prone and sitting for bolt operation?

Cavet I never really got the best out of my Blaser  lrs2 or RPA  for that matter as initial bolt lift - especially with the 45 degree bolt lift on the RPA was hard. Smooth beats short in this respect.

A chassis that takes Pmags is definitely interesting

I'm not so sure about the use of cast aluminium receivers moving forward, several AR manufacturers over the years have used cast lowers and they haven’t been great, in SGC here in Blighty used to use cast lowers, and I know of at least 3 of them breaking at the buffer tube juncture

Castings strength is in compression, not shear, and if one was to be dropped on the stock with it extended, it might end in expensive tears

Also the use of 6 series instead of 7 for the receiver surprised me, 6061 is fine for handguards, but everyone uses 7075T6 for receivers

I'm sure they’ve done their research  though 

Good luck with it, I think it’s great

Looks good. Cant wait to see it.

you have to think that the relationship between Q (a bit james bond😂) and Tooley was destined to fail/end. Why would they need him after the initial press release, a CNC machine is a lot cheaper to feed...

arent those green mountain barrells ar15 off the shelf tat? Strange choice $$$$$$$

6 minutes ago, lapua said:

Any update on load development? 

Yawn.....

How about an update on how it shoots and handles in different positions etc?

48 minutes ago, bradders said:

Yawn.....

How about an update on how it shoots and handles in different positions etc?

What like off the bipod?

2 minutes ago, lapua said:

What like off the bipod?

Hilarious, I have a stitch now

Load development went well sub half MOA. Couldn’t be happier. 

Off hand, kneeling and resting on trees fallow fall over very well. 

I have changed the grip to an Ergo. The Magpul felt rather cheap at first. But surprisingly I’m considering going back due to the simplicity. 

Sorry Bradders I do like a bipod and have just taken delivery today of the new Tier One evolution bipod. The centre of gravity is low and makes the rifle feel stable. will be good for the longer shots. 

15E86672-0656-4A64-87D7-6BDBFBE48706.jpeg

Scotch, any chance of some quick video clips of you shooting  it from standing, kneeling, sitting and prone please. It would be an excellent demo of any advantage the action has over a standard bolt. There may be something online but it needs a very accomplished shooter such as yourself to see any potential benefits on video.

Re bipods.....try a few, I went from a very rigid bipod to the AI factory bipod on the AIAXMC as I found it gave much less vibration after the shot. What is best for you and your system can obviously be different than what works for me.

2 hours ago, ds1 said:

Scotch, any chance of some quick video clips of you shooting  it from standing, kneeling, sitting and prone please. It would be an excellent demo of any advantage the action has over a standard bolt. There may be something online but it needs a very accomplished shooter such as yourself to see any potential benefits on video.

Re bipods.....try a few, I went from a very rigid bipod to the AI factory bipod on the AIAXMC as I found it gave much less vibration after the shot. What is best for you and your system can obviously be different than what works for me.

Mmm I’m not very photogenic Pal. 

Will pm to discuss. 

6 minutes ago, Scotch_egg said:

Mmm I’m not very photogenic Pal. 

Will pm to discuss. 

Take some pics of yourself dropping kernels of powder into your neck turned and batched cases with a pair of tweezers, that should give the anal reloaders (not shooters) a bit of a chubby, then you can take a pic of you filing the bullet tips and pointing them up....that should drive them into a frenzy of self fladulation

Or you could just not worry about others and go and shoot the thing for your own enjoyment

A radical idea I know, but have at it