6mm BR build

If all goes to plan then I would like to have a 6MMbr built. 

Looking for some advice. 

Ideally at the moment my thoughts are 
Right bolt 
Left port 
Drop port. 

Any thoughts on action?

This will 90% be used as a target rifle from 100 yard Benchrest to locally when the offer is there out to 800 yards with 300-500 yards being where it’s at most of the time.

Barrel length? 26in or would you go longer? Must be stainless. Shinier the better  😉

105gr Berger VLDs was my thought on bullet choice  

I do home load but don’t neck turn so the Dasher is out of the question. 

Any thoughts on this would be great. 

Well, you don't need to neck-turn for a Dasher anymore - Norma now do formed cases.  However, the standard 6BR is probably a safer bet. If you go Dasher, March Scopes have tons of Norma brass.

26 inches would be OK but, if the 800 yd stuff is going to be regular, might as well go 28 inch - won't cost any more.

Action? Big question - availability. What's on the shelf?  You need to contact your favourite 'smith and see what he can get hold of.  A Remmy-size action will do. I've just been looking at a Canadian Ultimatum Precision action - nice - and available.

Yep - go with the 105gn Berger VLD - though the Target Hybrid may be easier to get hold of.

6BR Powder? Used to be Varget but Vit 150 is great in the 6BR but Varget is better in the Dasher.

Thanks for that. Also thanks Steve for the chat tonight. 

I will be giving my Smith a call in the next few days with my intention and see what he has to offer. 

I think the 28in barrel could be the way to go as it won’t be getting carried very much. 

Actions do seem to be the main thought. Availability when you narrow yourself to Right Bolt Left port etc will slim the choices down somewhat. 

just to throw my two penny worth in I had a RB,LP  6br built on a Barnard action with a 1-8 twist tube, and while they are not the flashiest of actions out there they are very well put together and form the basis of a great bang stick. had a 308 barrel made for the same action and switch them out as needed,

6mmbr is my favourite round. 

I run a 26” barrel on an old school Lawton action. I get 2900fps from Varget and 105gr Hornady A-Max. 

Sadly it is also an old go to load. You will have to seek the available bullits and powder but I am sure the 6mmbr is impossible to shoot badly  

The Stiller action Baldie is a great brand, well worth following up.

I've got a 6mmBR Stiller Diamondback, RB/LP Single shot, built by Steve Kershaw.

I love it, super smooth action and way more capable than I am......I doubt you'll be disappointed with the Stiller action Baldie has.

Regards, Rob.

I like to think of the 6br as a trusty old friend , that behaves really well . I have one and accuracy can be amazing . Gaz6br - remember him anyone ? I do , he used to post his storys of outings with his 6br and he is a great shot. His was built on a barnard typs S i think . Shame he doesn't visit here anymore - his storys helped sway me to get a 6br and its just great - looking forward to seeing yours . All the best - 

I have a 6 br Savage action, Right Bolt, with right port, Bell and Carson stock .stock inlet with rail, Lowther 1-8 28” Benchrest Barrel. 20 M.O.A. Rail .At around £1400.00. This is obviously not a custom job . Used this for my Fclass and Benchrest using bypod  and bean bag or Caldwell BR  front rest.

using 105 Scenar L with viht  150 31.3gn. Did start off with 31.6 but primers showed pressure signs and brass had head scuff marks. 

Nick 

Mine's an old Musgrave single shot action with a 30" Lothar barrel that I fitted and bedded into an Anschutz proper walnut stock.

A very accurate rifle with 105 Scenars and RS52 powder. MV around 2900fps.

Pete

Do we have a theory on barrel length? 26-28-30?inch

This will be a one time build and want to get it right. There is a couple of options put forward. 

BAT DS

Stiller 

Borden and Banard. 

Looks for me plays a part in this build big time. No matter wether it’s the trowel in my hand or the rod or rifle in my hand. If It looks and feels good I am more confident with it and results in a better day. 

I seemed to be taking a shine to polished barrel and action but the more I think about it it’s just not doing it. I think it would show up every print and dirty mark? My OCD wound take a battering 

the rifle I am selling has a Whiskey 3 chassis which I love but is not going to work for this rifle. 

So looking for suggestions for a stock/chassis for this. Prone and bench. Adjustable as possible. 

Trigger. - I have a Jewel on my .204. It’s grest. Very crisp and breaks well. But the blade is skinny. 

The Timney on my .223 is the bomb. Get blade. Breaks like glass. 

The Calvin Elete was very light. I have adjusted it but not quite as snappy as before. 

Bix and Andy? 

Moderators. Not thought that far. But again... shoot it with or without? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 21 February 2019 at 3:53 PM, Tictac said:

The Barnard S is a nice action for a working rifle, I've no complaints with mine (SM). Not very Blingy, horses for courses and all that....

98182103_Barnard.243AI.thumb.jpg.31636717be0cd000e12b80589e00588a.jpg

What a stunning set up you have there Tictac ,what's the specs on your rifle I bet that shoots well.Tubs.

Tubs,

Thanks, It's an SM with a 1 in 8 Bartlein, McMillan Game Warden stock, Teir 1 bottom metal with accurate mags and Atec mod. Scope is an ATACR 5-25.

Built by Neil Mckillop.

.243 AI with 87 gn Berger, shoots very nicely indeed.

On 2/20/2019 at 6:57 PM, gunner said:

Gaz6br - remember him anyone ? I do , he used to post his storys of outings with his 6br and he is a great shot. His was built on a barnard typs S i think .

His was a RPA quadlite.

What did happen Gaz? Or did he get chucked off for chatting about long-range Varminting 🤣

Lovely looking rifle TicTac.

4 hours ago, trucraft said:

His was a RPA quadlite.

What did happen Gaz? Or did he get chucked off for chatting about long-range Varminting 🤣

Lovely looking rifle TicTac.

I think he was getting out of long range shooting and concentrating on foxing , i had a few back and forth messages about 6br loads / accuracy . That's the last iv seen / herd of him on here - real shame . He may of had warnings about lr shooting etc , so he may well of just buggered off . He may still visit anonymously ? Who knows . Dont see much from si-snipe either , then theres Pork-chop 204rem etc etc good guys ... Lifes too short for being too serious or argumentetive we all need to get along . Atb guys.

On 2/21/2019 at 5:51 AM, Nick 53 said:

I have a 6 br Savage action, Right Bolt, with right port, Bell and Carson stock .stock inlet with rail, Lowther 1-8 28” Benchrest Barrel. 20 M.O.A. Rail .At around £1400.00. This is obviously not a custom job . Used this for my Fclass and Benchrest using bypod  and bean bag or Caldwell BR  front rest.

using 105 Scenar L with viht  150 31.3gn. Did start off with 31.6 but primers showed pressure signs and brass had head scuff marks. 

Nick 

Hi nick , what sort of accuracy are you getting with that load / setup ?