N140 vs N150 in creedmoor

ashcroft

Likely because of both case to fill ratio and most Creedmore shooters use 130g+ bullets most of the time. N150 is a slower burning powder with a tad more energy than N140, so better for the heavier bullets.

But if you're shooting the 123g bullets, give N140 a go. Has worked very well in my 6.5x47L and has done equally so for years in the .308w. It's a good powder, burns cleanly, metres nicely and has always given consistent results.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m using 35 of N150 with 139gr lapua. That’s not pushing it past max load.

cant remember COAL to the ogive.

Out of a 28 inch barrel I’m getting 2700fps. Thinking of switching to 160 though to get more out of it.

im getting more than what Vit says it should be doing with 150 so hopefully 160 will do the same. 

44 minutes ago, ashcroft said:

I ended up going with n150 at 37.8gr with very happy results

I have just done the satterlee load development and landed on the exact load in my 20” Bartlein with 140gr eld. 2610fps. 

I wanted to see if anyone was running higher loads than me. I’ve got no pressure signs and am tempted to look for a higher node. 

3 hours ago, Scotch_egg said:

I have just done the satterlee load development and landed on the exact load in my 20” Bartlein with 140gr eld. 2610fps. 

I wanted to see if anyone was running higher loads than me. I’ve got no pressure signs and am tempted to look for a higher node. 

I had much the same results using RS62/140 SSTs.  A good node from a 24 inch barrel was 2620fps.  Haven't tried higher with that load as it's accurate and adequate for deer.

Archived