Seating depth for .223 80gr Sierra MK?

MichalS

I succesfully (still have my eyes and hands :)) finished first ever round of load testing. I tried two options, 55gr Hornady for 100m trainig and 80gr SMK which is supposed to be my main bullet - both with RS52. With Hornady I managed to get 0.5MOA which I'm pretty pleased with, but had no luck with Sierra. At the moment I'm blaming T3x stock (it was much harder to control the recoil of heavier bullet) but maybe I seated them wrong? They are 2.46" COAL to the lands in my rifle and I went for 2.42" for a 0.020" jump...

TIA,

Michal

3 hours ago, MichalS said:

I succesfully (still have my eyes and hands :)) finished first ever round of load testing. I tried two options, 55gr Hornady for 100m trainig and 80gr SMK which is supposed to be my main bullet - both with RS52. With Hornady I managed to get 0.5MOA which I'm pretty pleased with, but had no luck with Sierra. At the moment I'm blaming T3x stock (it was much harder to control the recoil of heavier bullet) but maybe I seated them wrong? They are 2.46" COAL to the lands in my rifle and I went for 2.42" for a 0.020" jump...

TIA,

Michal

What rifle? My fastest twist Tikka is a 1-8" which might be marginal for that bullet.~Andrew

2 minutes ago, MichalS said:

Andrew, I calculated it and 1:8 should easily stabilise it. Others (including people on this forum) also used such barrels with good effect. It's something else.

1:8 will easily stabilise 80 SMKs...unless your barrel is marginal, but if would suggest that if you aren’t getting the accuracy you want then that’s down to something other than seating depth

Another thing to consider, 80SMKs were designed for shooting at 600yds in US highpower competition, they were never intended for shooting at 100

Test at the distance you intend to shoot them at, if your going to shoot everything at 100 then just shoot 52SMKs

I plan to do load development at 100m, and later shoot it @300/600/800m. Still, its not going to be 1 MOA at 100 and 0.5MOA at 300... I hope it's the rubbish stock, we will see. To be honest I'm surprised by the level of recoil in the light rifle (my Tikka only weights around 9lbs.). Similar to 155gr in my 18 lbs rig, which is logical if You think about it...

Michal

Michal, What load of RS52 are you using?

I've had very good results with the 70gr TMKs in 1:8 .223 barrel using RS50

The smk is very jump tolerant so I suspect something else is amiss.  Have you access to a chrony as this can help a lot with load dev?

You really need to check the speed........just fire 2 or 3 rounds with the Magnetospeed on to see what they're doing.

You can take it off to shoot for groups once you have an MV for each load

Pete

2 hours ago, bradders said:

No you don’t

Speed is irrelevant, accuracy is important

Yup kinda agree iv never owned one and dont need one , i test real bullet drop out to the distance and every 100 yards & adjust accordingly . Sometimes out to 6-700 yards .

3 minutes ago, gunner said:

Yup kinda agree iv never owned one and dont need one , i test real bullet drop out to the distance and every 100 yards & adjust accordingly . Sometimes out to 6-700 yards .

There is an unhealthy opinion on this forum to suggest that everything load wise is done with a chrono and a copy of Quickload, basically it’s a word that rhymes with rollocks

Well you might have missed my drift.......................for a given calibre and bullet weight, the higher the speed, the greater the pressure, up to the point where the speed stops increasing and it all goes bang.

Obviously, the whole point of the game is consistency and accuracy.

Pete

Archived