17 HMR Finfire II, Tikka T1 or Anschutz ?

InTheSticks

Budget will determine it.  £479 for the Tikka or (what are they ?) £750 - £875 for the Annie.  The bolt on my CZ is actually much better than my last Anschutz.  

You have to try them for fit and feel.  Personally, having had an original Finnfire, the new ones have lost something.

I would not discount the CZ, or even the Lithgow - sublime bolt.  Also, I'm not a fan of the Bowning T-Bolts which you may like.

As a best kept secret - The Weihrauch HW66 Jagd-Match is a stunner.  Check it out.

Moderator - Wildcat Panther.  Enjoy the search.

I have the same feeling as David re. the 'new' Finfires.

Performance-wise I doubt there will be anything in them so fit and feel is probably the deciding factor.

I'd personally be looking at an Anschutz or a Lithgow. Would've considered a Weirhauch after enjoying tens of their sublime air rifles over the years, but after a .22 and a .17H both of which went back I don't think I could bring my self to chance another sadly.

Mod, cheapo Sak or a Panther.

Depends on requirements. If carrying and lamping i would choose tikka from above? I always have a mod for 17hmr so like a 16" barrel and like the atec wave for 17 hmr as equal to sak but lighter. Plus no light shine off back of mod. Panther good but to heavy. Annie only 4 rd mag as weihrauch and heavy rifle. Finfire 2 i don't know but i have the quad hunter  in synthetic stock shortened barrel atec mod and 10rd mag it does the job and nice to carry. Plus change barrel if no likey. CZ455 stainless 16" is also nice and discounted to £350 to make way for 457 worth a look. 

Figure that the FinnFire and the T1X will have identical barrels. An older (but little used) FinnFire Match heavy barrel 22LR and my T1X 22LR shot identically. So you're really down to a three horse race: Tikka/FinnFire, CZ, or Anny.

In the end, the common denominator is the quality of the ammo which, unfortunately, all comes from basically the same source. At least with the 22LR you have more latitude, ammunition-wise.~Andrew

On 2/16/2019 at 8:50 PM, Andrew said:

Figure that the FinnFire and the T1X will have identical barrels. An older (but little used) FinnFire Match heavy barrel 22LR and my T1X 22LR shot identically. So you're really down to a three horse race: Tikka/FinnFire, CZ, or Anny.

In the end, the common denominator is the quality of the ammo which, unfortunately, all comes from basically the same source. At least with the 22LR you have more latitude, ammunition-wise.~Andrew

Hello Andrew, thanks for the info, didn't mention but I already own a 22LR and a .223 - it's the gap between them I am looking to fill, since the post I have now slots for both the hmr and hornet and am wondering is the gap big enough for both or am guessing just the hmr as I know round cost 223/hornet there isn't much in it

Sorry. I didn't express myself well. I knew you were looking at a 17HMR. The 22LR comparison was just to point out that Tikka/SAKO use the same barrels. (Something they have confirmed with me at the SHOT Show)

The 17HMR, unlike the 22LR which has a huge number of makers and varieties, is made at one plant so you either thrive or starve by the quality of the ammo you are being supplied with. If the ammo is bad it won't matter what rifke you buy: you wil be stuck with it until you find a different LOT to choose from. My Ruger 77/17 custom is very accurate with the two bricks of 17HMR I last purchased but the bullets are faulty -they don't expand on thin skinned varmitns like prairiedogs -even at close range. Tiring of the up and down quality of the ammunition. I retired the 17HMR in favor of the 22WMR and the Hornet. ~Andrew

Archived