Indecisive ftr, Savage or Custom?

Gungrinner

Unfortunately I don't have loads of cash so I am looking for a used FTR setup. My club shoots an in house completion at Bisley once a month and I want to join in the fun. I have shot a  few different rifles from a Rem 700 to a custom Valkyrie. The rifles feel different but no one is miles better than the other.

I have been told by fellow club members that the savage is designed for factory ammunition and load development is difficult. I have not shot a savage ftr but you hear good reports. 

There are some interesting items for sale at the moment and I can't make my mind up. 

Help...

If you don't reload there's no point buying a custom rifle really but If it's the aesthetics your after then why not...!

You would need buy a variation of factory ammo and find which shoots the best whether is a custom or factory rifle regardless.

Atb No I deer 

If you reload, there are plenty of people on hear such as Gun pimp who can give you an idea of starting loads as well as kit.

the thing not to do is buy items that you don’t need ! Or can’t use! I have made a few mistakes in this area.

you need to decide on how much money you got then factor in Rifle, scope, reloading kit, and everything else that is required.

Nick 

Thrown in to the equation - you need the same level of kit to shoot either FTr or Open class and an equally accurate rifle 

I would argue that it’s harder to be competitive at FTR class than Open too - given you are restricted to 308 or 223 and bullets that “move a lot” in the wind 

Considering these factors - I’d suggest open class may be easier to start

Plenty of very good rifles for sale on here (including one of mine) which would be competitive at international level 

I wouldn’t restrict yourself to a factory rifle as you may find it hard to sell when (not if) the F class big really bites and you joking the arms race which is equally expensive in either class 

1 hour ago, No i deer said:

Semi or full custom 👍

Semi Custom, the daftest term used in shooting some circles, accredited to the British shooting scene and a phrase coined by some gunsmiths, that verges on being as cheesy as a cheesy thing

It’s either a “custom build” or it isn’t

A “custom” action is another one and could only truly be called a “custom” action if it is a one off, fancy schmancy expensive actions such as Deviant, Nesika, Borden etc are mass produced so therefore not custom

Pedantic rant over, Andy you make an interesting point about FTR being tougher than open, I can see your point is valid, and when everyone has roughly similar equipment and a performance cap, it pushes you to be the deciding factor more than your kit is

10 hours ago, Gungrinner said:

Unfortunately I don't have loads of cash so I am looking for a used FTR setup. My club shoots an in house completion at Bisley once a month and I want to join in the fun. I have shot a  few different rifles from a Rem 700 to a custom Valkyrie. The rifles feel different but no one is miles better than the other.

I have been told by fellow club members that the savage is designed for factory ammunition and load development is difficult. I have not shot a savage ftr but you hear good reports. 

There are some interesting items for sale at the moment and I can't make my mind up. 

Help...

The Savage FTR is a great starter rifle for FTR competition - out of the box, it has a 30 inch heavy barrel so effective at 1000 yards.  With home loads it will be competitive at any club shoot.

1 hour ago, newsatten said:

There's a world class FTR setup the Furrybean selling on here, bang on a scope and youll be good to go!

Seemple !

I know this rifle and it’s won a few medals (well the owner has). It’s an excellent starter and really good value. 

Hi...I had a Savage 12 FTR  .308 for 5 years, a fantastic "out of the box" rifle. There are about 4-5 members of my club using them without any issues, mine never missed a beat. 

No problem with developing a load for it at all. I was advised by an ex F Class World Champion to use Lapua cases, CCI BR2 primers, Lapua Scenar 155g heads & Vihtavuori N540 powder...Although I never entered any serious competitions I developed a load with those ingredients for 1000yds with great results......just my halfpenny's worth!

Archived