Looking for: Minimum neck surface to hold bullet

ronzi83

Hello all. 

For long time i wanted to ask somone who has more experiences than me, how important IS/OR is there any "minimum" neck surface to hold bullet? Why i am asking this, because my gun has really long neck space (i think it is called) and my bullets touch rifling at almost whole bullet our of neck and it has only 0,137" surface that holds it (bullet). Some people said to me i need to go with diameter (0.264) but at same time some people say i should reload bullet just touching riflings. So for me there can not be both options, only one. If i go bullet diameter will be my coal 2.809 , if i go with hornady gage to just touch riflings will be my COAL 2,936. 

Any sugesstions and will be problem with so small surface to hold bullet (consistant)? 

I use 6.5 creedmore, 139 scenar Lapua bullets 

Regards

Greg

20190209_180912.jpg

I was told many years ago that a bullet calibre length was recommended.   If however you wish to keep the bullet your currently using you could have more neck retention to hold the bullet in place!   

Or change bullet weight to possibly have a larger bearing surface thus enabling more of the bullet to go in the neck.  

1 minute ago, ronzi83 said:

There are a lot "recommendations" around, but i would like to know what happen if i go 0.137 ? It will shoot bad or not consistence? Becose i did reload in past, but never payed attention at that time 2 years ago.  

As long as your careful in chambering the round and have enough neck tension to hold the bullet in place and not fall out then give it a go.   I would not put your rounds in a magazine in case the bullet is knocked out of concentricity.

Have you ever tried seating deeper -meaning much deeper? Were I starting out witha given bullet and didn't want to use factory spec, I would seat the bullet so that the parallel sides of the bullet were seated to the neck/shoulder junction.** The neck does more than just hold the bullet...~Andrew

**I am always surprised when the factory recommendation matches this depth to within a few thou....

As above.

There will be a spot a lot further back, where the bullet can jump to the lands, and likes to shoot.

The creedmoor has a long neck. Use it.

Anything under bullet diameter in the neck, isn't enough, in my opinion.

Scenars shape usually makes them seat quite deep unless it's throated for them.

If you chase the lands and your throat is worn then the bullets gradually runs out of any neck to hold the bullet,my old 308 wore to the point when measuring with an oal gauge there was no bearing surface of the bullet in the case and they had quite a jump into the rifling.still shot ok if you find the perfect jump. 

Interesting. I forgot to ask also 1 more question regards to neck. I see that my neck is not getting any longer from FL resizing and tbh when i do fl with my redding die with bushing and using redding shellholders, sholder will still be same number as case before FL. So instead getting my neck longer and thiner i think is getting shorter.  

On 2/11/2019 at 9:40 AM, jcampbellsmith said:

This is a slightly different take on how to use the neck - http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2007/04/radical-wolf-pup-case-for-hunter-br/

Regards

JCS

" We worried about bullet misalignment in that short neck, but jamming the bullets into the lands seems to take care of that–provided the chamber has as little runout as possible, is well-centered to the bore and the cases are sized aggressively enough to allow a bit of ‘wiggle room’ in the chamber. "

That says it all.~Andrew

On 2/9/2019 at 5:53 PM, That bald headed Geordie said:

As long as your careful in chambering the round and have enough neck tension to hold the bullet in place and not fall out then give it a go.   I would not put your rounds in a magazine in case the bullet is knocked out of concentricity.

+1 This , its common for cases to get shorter in length on firing i think mainly to the sharp shoulder angle , as i had an ackley and they got a fair bit shorter upon first firing , and needed a second firing to fully fire form . The shallower the shoulder the faster the cases grow in length . 

Archived