Barnard 07 rifle/stock

Woodlander

I’m keen to hear from anyone who has any experience with the Barnard 07 chassis. I’ve been speaking to Mik at Dolphin Rifles, who has one in stock,with a view to fitting it to a SM action in 6br. 

It would be great to hear from anyone who has owned one or who has worked on.  Thanks

Yep - I've built a rifle using an 07 chassis with a Barnard S action.  No issues at all - everything went together and worked as it should.  I built it as a left-hander - in 6.5x47.  I ended up Cerakoting it in flat dark earth.  Personally, I think the latest MDT chassis is a better option but, if you already have the Barnard action.........

1956664807_Barnard07010.thumb.jpg.c3a62e8314782126e894e709f78c3d72.jpg

I was hoping to hear from you Vince,I did read somewhere that you’d built one.

I have a couple of concerns about the 07 chassis,the first being the barrel has to be removed to fit a new recoil lug,which will mean it needs to be reproofed and the cost of the work and secondly the use of H-S mags,which I hear can be noisy(?)and whether they will feed the 6br cartridge 100% reliably. 

Which new MDT chassis are you referring to,the ESS? Thanks

14 minutes ago, Re-Pete said:

Why should it need re-proofing after removing and re-fitting the barrel?

Pete

Hi Pete. 

If that’s not the case,I’m very pleased.

I was assuming that if the barrel was removed ,to fit a collar that would replace and act as a recoil lug,that it would need to be reproofed,but I’m more than happy to be corrected on that. 

The action is in a GRS stock,that only has the recoil lug bedded and is restricted to single shot. I’d thought about pillar and Devcon bedding it and fitting a magazine system,but if that money was put towards a chassis,it’d be like having a new rifle,that was the thinking anyway.  

Wish I had a T3, so much simpler 😃

I'm not sure what you mean by fitting a collar............if it has to go between the barrel and the receiver, then the barrel will need re-chambering to get the required headspace, in which case it will need re-proofing.

Pete

2 hours ago, Re-Pete said:

I'm not sure what you mean by fitting a collar............if it has to go between the barrel and the receiver, then the barrel will need re-chambering to get the required headspace, in which case it will need re-proofing.

Pete

Pete - the tubular handguard is held on by using a threaded collar trapped between the barrel and action - like a recoil lug. If Woodlander already has a barreled-action with recoil-lug, it will require a bit of 'shuffling' (careful machining) to maintain the headspace. If the lug and collar were exactly the same thickness then no machining would be required.........and therefore no re-proofing. The pic below shows the system

Barnard07 003.jpg

6 hours ago, Woodlander said:

I was hoping to hear from you Vince,I did read somewhere that you’d built one.

I have a couple of concerns about the 07 chassis,the first being the barrel has to be removed to fit a new recoil lug,which will mean it needs to be reproofed and the cost of the work and secondly the use of H-S mags,which I hear can be noisy(?)and whether they will feed the 6br cartridge 100% reliably. 

Which new MDT chassis are you referring to,the ESS? Thanks

Not sure of the model name but I had a look at the new MDT chassis systems at IWA last year.  Very competent - their folding stock hinge is just about the neatest I've seen and the whole chassis is very light and well thought out..

DSC_2672.JPG

Speaking to Mik,from Dolphin,

”the barrel will need to be removed and the collar replaces the recoil lug,the forend  tube fits to the recoil collar”

I’m not sure what that means,in practical terms,but Vince seems to suggest it’s relatively straightforward.

i would prefer a stock that I could fit myself,but I’ve probably got the wrong action for that. 

Archived