pulsar XQ38F or XQ50F

MJR

Wished I had gone for the Xp version , as even at close ranges ie 100 yard it’s hard to tell between a fox or a hare as it’s just a hot blob with the xq type . Wednesday I saw a hot blob and took ages to work out what it was ,only when it moved sideways could I see it was a heron . A lot of images from the advertisers give a false impression of what these units actually show you . If using a monocular at least you’ll have one eye with good night vision so won’t fall over when walking . Cheers 

So long as it isn’t misty or raining you will tell the difference easily once you’ve learned to focus and if necessary swap bettween black hot / white hot

Was our this morning in 20-30 mph wind and torrential rain the XQ 50 I was using was fine - easily identified heat sources - sheep, pheasants, rabbits , red deer

no problems - they could do with making the ocular with a cover though ,,,

I still use a 3 year old hd50s and never have any problems. Use it foxing and stalking. Its had a real hard life but i wont be upgrading until it fails, absolutely no need. I can id quarry at night a lot further than i can shoot and rarely have a wasted walk, also age and sex deer while stalking at reasonable ranges. A friend is getting his first, he’s going the 38 which is a wise choice i think

Yes totally agree with eyepiece  needing a cover ,tend to use an old butler creek cover to stop light giving me away . The higher res detector of the Xp that I tried does show a clearer image as found at the last nec show . I just use it for quick spotting then affirm the quarry with drone pro 10 before the shot . 

2 minutes ago, MJR said:

Gary,

why the 38?

Cost, and because its fit for purpose, which for him is locating deer in woodland. Roe, muntjac and fallow. When you stalk with thermal you tend to see all deer before they see you. You can become more selective rather than just shooting what makes a mistake. I think he’s fed up coming back to the larder with a blank while i turn up with a request for some assistance 😂

No. Just checked mines an xd50s, broken front lens cover, worn out eyepiece rubber, battery pack glued back together a few times. Got me a fair few animals i wouldnt have got without it. Ive never been given away by the light from it. Battery will do 2 no 3 hour stalks followed by a nights foxing no problems

CCAD7963-94EA-4436-ABE2-540A16511A14.jpeg

83A31A6F-21AC-4C57-AE35-EBD6D2796494.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Orka Akinse said:

Wow. Pm me the details of where you got it please Lap.  I use rechargeable AA's and I've never changed them during a nights foxing and so wouldn't know how long they last but 20 hrs would be useful

PULSAR EPS3I BATTERY PACK

^^ https://www.scottcountry.co.uk/night-vision/accessories/pulsar-eps3i-battery-pack/

I bought one when I bought my Quantum spotter 2 or 3 years ago - before I knew the battery life of the standard battery pack and even with shitty rechargeable AAs was so good. Think its sat in the kitchen since :s

1 hour ago, GT3_richy said:

^^ https://www.scottcountry.co.uk/night-vision/accessories/pulsar-eps3i-battery-pack/

I bought one when I bought my Quantum spotter 2 or 3 years ago - before I knew the battery life of the standard battery pack and even with shitty rechargeable AAs was so good. Think its sat in the kitchen since :s

At £80 I'll manage with what I've got I think 

Well i’d say i had good value out of it. 150 weeks of use, average 2 foxing outings and 1 stalk, probably 1500 hours of use. Never changed a battery, never opened the battery compartment, never had it run flat, always ready to go. I think it probaby equated to about £40 not in my pocket after tax/vat etc was consolidated. Thats 2.6p per hour so far. How long do AA’s last? My one doesnt run on normal rechargeables either.

I use good quality rechargeables and they weren't cheap ones.  It takes 4 in a plastic holder/cartridge/cassette type thing.  They've never ran out on us and they get some use like yours.  We use it then switch to screen saver when not looking thro it which saves power.

The first one I borrowed ate batteries eg 4 top of the range duracells in under an hour 😲

Archived