.284 win Doughnuts

Maidment78

Hello all,

Just started loading for the .284 win and I have read about doughnuts on necked up brass, I am shooting a 175 ELD-X so the bearing surface will be long and as such I am looking at getting any kit needed to deal with this before it need it.

Any help would be greatly welcome.

If your using a bushing die you don't resize the whole neck which is where the donuts form which helps this .

I guess to prevent this is to cut into the shoulder 20 thousands ish with the neck turner so when it's fired the brass will be thinner at that point with its new fire formed internal dimension.

You need expand the brass first

Don't neck turn it on a resized brass or new unfired brass.

Donuts? There are many schools of thought on this.

1. Ignore them.
  2. Ignore them and seat the bullet forward of the neck shoulder junction.
  3. As in the post above, neck turn to remove brass from the neck shoulder junction. 
  4. Use an internal mandrel cutter to remove material from the neck shoulder junction. 
  5. Just use new brass.

There are issues and benefits to all of these approaches. Pick the one that works for you or come up with another approach. 

Have fun.

JCS

3 hours ago, weejohn said:

Just buy norma brass and forget about donuts . 🙂

Yes that's a much better option.good old Norma 😁

I keep forgetting Norma make 284 brass. Completely ignore what I said unless you already have lapua 6.5x284 brass or sell it and get Norma at about £1.50 per case 👍

35 minutes ago, MJR said:

The OP said its a no turn neck. Why would he get donuts?

The 6.5x284 lapua brass is terrible for it , i have a no turn neck in my 284 and got donuts on the very first firing. I eventually gave up neck turning to get rid of them and bought norma brass . 

I have authorisation for .284 but I want just for hunting , plinking....not looking for any extra case prep etc.

working with a damn good gun smith last few days on a job and he said just .284 reamer to saami spec ...not tight spec reamer...and no neck turning and should be fine ?

i thought key to this was no neck turning ?

other wise it would be Norma brass straight off.

paul

16 hours ago, sauer said:

I have authorisation for .284 but I want just for hunting , plinking....not looking for any extra case prep etc.

working with a damn good gun smith last few days on a job and he said just .284 reamer to saami spec ...not tight spec reamer...and no neck turning and should be fine ?

i thought key to this was no neck turning ?

other wise it would be Norma brass straight off.

paul

I only use mine for hunting and it does a super job of it , no case prep needed with the norma brass , just resize,  load and shoot it . 

5 hours ago, No i deer said:

Get a inside neck reamer.

I bought one myself just incase and only used it once just to try it out.

I will sell it too you if you want it...?

It's a Wilson reamer. £32 posted

Sounds good to me, 

I have 200 prepped lapua brass so will want to shoot them out first then think about Norma, probably the same time I shoot the barrel out and get a new one of them too!

If you PM me your paypal or details I will do the rest 

Paul.

19 minutes ago, weejohn said:

I only use mine for hunting and it does a super job of it , no case prep needed with the norma brass , just resize,  load and shoot it . 

What weight of bullet are you using weejohn ? Just nosey ....

the thing that put me onto this was huge amount of choice for 7mm available.

have you used it on wild boar at all?

paul

18 hours ago, No i deer said:

Sorry bud a mate was watching the thread messaged me and bought it strait away.

Atb No I deer 

No worries at all, I spoke to Mark at SPUD and he is going to make me a pilot for my K+M neck turner so all worked out well, 

On 2/7/2019 at 12:34 PM, sauer said:

What weight of bullet are you using weejohn ? Just nosey ....

the thing that put me onto this was huge amount of choice for 7mm available.

have you used it on wild boar at all?

paul

I use 160gr TMK  .

I havnt used it on boar , only from  squirrels to deer . 

After lots of researching calibres the straight 284 seemed to be one of the most efficient calibres in 7mm and a huge range of bullets from 100gr upwards. 

Archived