Non shooter newbie trying to surprise his dad for his 50th! Help needed..

Jamiedaniel89

Hi everyone,

as the title states I don’t really know anything about rifles other than having a play around on some cheap stuff years ago, my dad has always mentioned really wanting a Webley sidewinder but never got round to buying one.

I have been offered the following and need some advice if it’s worth it:

Webley - Venom Sidewinder .22 PCP with gauge underneath including:
Infared Lens cap
Nozzle
Pellets
Scope 3-9x40EG
New rifle case

Also comes with full rechargeable night shooting kit in a case.

£350

does this seem a fair price for it and are they a half decent rifle for shooting at 50-75 yards?

thanks in advance, I don’t want to mess up his 50th present lol

Price if its worth it will depend on the condition, try a site like gun trader to get an idea of prices

Webley - Venom Sidewinder .22 PCP with gauge underneath including:
Infared Lens cap - Lens cap covers the lens, the fact its infra red is irrelevant or its something else
Nozzle - not sure what this is
Pellets - brand might help and are they suitable or the rifle, ie do they group well and keep within the legal limit
Scope 3-9x40EG - this is a cheap chinese scope but ok for air rifles
New rifle case - depends on make

Also comes with full rechargeable night shooting kit in a case - depends on make but probably a torch

As for the range you mention, if the rifle is in good nick and accurate its more realistically a 40 yard shooter

I would say 350 is probably top end for the gun, the other stuff is probably worth a few quid. The nozzle referred to I would assume is the recharging probe, being a PCP your dad will need a pump or a diving bottle to fill it from which might be worth bearing in mind.

The description of the bits beside the gun are rather vague and would lead me to draw the same conclusions as Akeld.

Again, as per above, a more realistic range for accurate shooting is 40 yards for a decent non-firearms-rated air gun - and a lot will struggle to obtain that. Sadly from the brief googling of the Sidewinder they weren't generally stunning performers.

PCP rifles aren't cheap, and by the time you have bought some means to recharge it (they need a supply of compressed air in case that's not obvious - they aren't like what most people would associate an air gun to be i.e. a springer which you just 'break' to cock by compressing an internal spring or pneumatic ram), a half decent scope etc it will quickly add up. Its hard as your dad has an inkling for this particular gun as there are definitely better used rifles for the same money e.g. any Air Arms Sxxx, most BSAs etc.

Do you know anyone with an air gun? Without wishing to discourage you, it might be worth taking him to an air gun range for the afternoon and seeing if he enjoys it (still?), unless 400 quid plus isn't an amount your concerned about. It sounds as though your dad's shot/owned air guns before?

Archived