Help with down-loaded .223"

Jimbo Jones

Hi All,

New to the forum, although I have been following it for a few years. I have joined up in the hope that someone can help me with a few questions on reloading?

I want to load some .223 Remington for a Mini-14 for plinking. The club’s maximum permitted velocity is 2150 fps. I have found a few starting loads on the Vihtavuori website that could potentially work (I already have N150, so this would be preferred).

N140 19.3gr, Berger 90gr, 2119 fps

N150 19.4 gr, Berger 90gr, 2136 fps

N140 19.3 gr, Sierra 90gr, 2100 fps

N150 19.1 gr, Sierra 90gr 2126 fps

So my questions are:

1. Are these too close to the range limit to be considered?
  2. The load lists a C.O.L. of 2.457” for Berger and 2.354” for Sierra. Do I still need to make a few test rounds at different bullet seating depths to find the optimal length? Or will they be safe at the listed length in my rifle?
  3. The load data states Lapua cases. Could I use PPU or Federal instead?
  4. I currently load .308 where I was shown to neck size the case and then press the bullet in (no crimp). Would the loads above be the same, or should they be crimped?
  5. Do they have to be full length sized as in the Vihtavuori data, or can I just neck size?

Failing the above being suitable, can anyone suggest a safe load for .223 under 2150 fps that doesn’t use a non-REACH powder?

Thanks in advance,

Jimbo

If you're loading for a Mini14 the mag length will determine the over-all length. Small Base Full Length dies are the ones you need and then FL resize at every loading. I would crimp. As to loads, shoot what functions and then chronograph it or consider that load data is usually based on a 24" barrel and your loads listed at under 2150 will probably be more so with the Mini-14's shorter barrel.~Andrew

Hi Andrew, many thanks for taking the time to reply. Based on the velocities being higher through a Mini-14, I would guess that these Vit loads are a non-starter. I am just finding it difficult to find a data source I trust (and where the powder is readily available) for a lower velocity .223" 

You won't be able to shoot 90gn bullets in your Mini 14, apart from OAL issues the twist rate will be too slow and they'll be really unstable in your 1:9

You need a 1:7 twist at the very least but even faster if possible, especially given the slow speeds you're talking about

The heaviest bullet you can hopefully shoot will be around 70gns, but with that will come more velocity

I think you're flogging a dead horse with this one

Archived