Magazine for Borden Alpine?

Tikka 260

Hi All

A bit of a long shot here, but wondering still if anyone has yet come up with a magazine/ bottom metal for the Rem 700 clones in a stalking rifle? I've got Sunny Hill bottom metal and a Wyatt box on mine right now, and yes .... its a lovely bit of kit, but ... I would still prefer a detachable magazine ( that is not Tacticool or HS Precision- noisy- , and doesn't hang out of the bottom of the stock) to hold 3 rounds of .260 with 140 Gn NABs , so it needs to be somewhat longer than the usual Factory dimensions.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks for looking

T260

I’m not aware of any mag system that fits your spec Peter other than HS Precision who offer 3 shot mag

There was a company called Curtis Precision who were talking about making a 3 round mag for AICS bottom metal but I do not know if they got that off the ground - I emailed them about the mags and one of their actions in January 2018 and await a reply ,,,,,,

FWIW I’ve used BDL type floorplate for stalking rifle for years with no ill results 

19 hours ago, Tikka 260 said:

Hi All

A bit of a long shot here, but wondering still if anyone has yet come up with a magazine/ bottom metal for the Rem 700 clones in a stalking rifle? I've got Sunny Hill bottom metal and a Wyatt box on mine right now, and yes .... its a lovely bit of kit, but ... I would still prefer a detachable magazine ( that is not Tacticool or HS Precision- noisy- , and doesn't hang out of the bottom of the stock) to hold 3 rounds of .260 with 140 Gn NABs , so it needs to be somewhat longer than the usual Factory dimensions.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks for looking

T260

Here you go.

Granted it's 4 rounds, not 3, but likely to be as good as it gets. The stainless unticks the tacticool look for you too. Every commie sniper will see you rolling around in the undergrowth with this thing.

Only question will be getting it into the UK. Likely you'll need to ask an RFD / gunsmith to place one for you on their export license as I think it'll be classified as ITAR restricted. 

https://www.kelbly.com/shooting-accessories/remington-700-short-action-non-magnum-4-round-magazine

50 minutes ago, Catch-22 said:

Here you go.

Granted it's 4 rounds, not 3, but likely to be as good as it gets. The stainless unticks the tacticool look for you too. Every commie sniper will see you rolling around in the undergrowth with this thing.

Only question will be getting it into the UK. Likely you'll need to ask an RFD / gunsmith to place one for you on their export license as I think it'll be classified as ITAR restricted. 

https://www.kelbly.com/shooting-accessories/remington-700-short-action-non-magnum-4-round-magazine

Thats a standard remmy detachable mag isn’t it?

8 minutes ago, Catch-22 said:

Dunno - didn't think R700's come with detachable mags, only internal box mags (with floor plate) or AICS type mags. 

As I understood from the OPs post, they wanted a detachable mag that wasn't AICS type. 

Or did I miss something?

Yes you missed something. He asked for a  3 shot mag with longer than factory dimensions. You showed him a factory remington cdl dm, which will not be long enough. He uses a wyatt box to get the extra length. The mag you offered is a standard remmy part, so i imagine will not be difficult to obtain, either new or s/h.

Thanks all for your input, it would seem that the situation remains the same as ever.

I agree with Ronin, the BDL works fine, and I have absolutely no complaints about the Sunny Hill product. ,  but I just get a bit miffed dumping rounds thru the floorplate and failing to catch them in the dark while in a Ladderseat . OK - That's just my inept fingers you might say, but Scrabbling around looking for live rounds in the dark is no fun at all. Bearing in mind that I'm out for Fallow 3 -4 evenings a week right now, and I have time to reflect on the way that my kit works in practice. 

A flush fitting Tikka /Sako type magazine profile would be much easier IMHO, but I think that I'm almost alone in this perception.

Ronin knows that I've been the HS Mk 1 route and its not good. Noisy, and unreliable feed. 

Guess that I'll stick with the existing set up ..... 

ATB

T260

27 minutes ago, lapua said:

I just used to underload the rifle when climbing into highseats when i had a sunny hill floorplate, didnt ever drop the floorplate open in the field. 

Yes, agreed, there are ways around it, none of them perfect. Best Practice is to unload before climbing down from a high seat, underloading is probably safe enough, but it's still a compromise in the dark with cold fingers.

Anyway, my OQ was not intended to start an online discussion on ways and means of acting safely, but merely to enquire if anyone had found an alternative to the R700 magazine alternatives.

Thanks again

Wow !!

they do exist - guess they answered someone else’s email !

I recall telling another importer about these (who brings in stiller) 

This May be the answer for you Pete with a flush release aics bottom metal 

You are not alone Tikka 260 - I feel your pain. 😁

I have been looking for the same for my Stillers. The easiest way to describe what I am looking for is to compare to the Sako 75 mag system (which I think is the best factory mag system going). I haven't found anything yet which is suitable. I hadn't however heard of the Curtis ones before now though.

Plenty of tactical offerings out there but I'm not into tactical stuff. I just want my conventional sporters to have a DM mag system akin to the Sako 75 one. 

Agreed; I had a Sako75 Finlight many years ago, and the magazine system was possibly the best thing about it. I’m following up the Curtis option to determine if it will feed the long 260 rounds, and then decide on the way forward. IF it happens , I’ll post the result in due course. 

Now heres a thing - wouldnt it be nice if some forward thinking soul with a CNC adept mind (and equipment) could make a Rem 700 bottom metal compatible to take short or long action Sako 75 Mags......

Great Thinking Andy, and if that clever person happened to be in UK, even betterer!

However with the current obsession with the tactical look I’m doubtful that the potential market would justify the cost and effort. 

Perhaps a halfway house solution would be for that clever person to come up with a slick 3 round capacity magazine that doesent rattle and also feeds reliably to fit AICS bottom metal? That must be possible?

3 in the box and 1 loaded would do for my usage, even in a Fallow Target Rich Environment . 

Food for thought if nothing else. 

(FWIW - I’d put one on the 7x57 too) 

On 1/29/2019 at 7:29 PM, Tikka 260 said:

Perhaps a halfway house solution would be for that clever person to come up with a slick 3 round capacity magazine that doesent rattle and also feeds reliably to fit AICS bottom metal? That must be possible?

3 in the box and 1 loaded would do for my usage, even in a Fallow Target Rich Environment . 

Food for thought if nothing else. 

(FWIW - I’d put one on the 7x57 too) 

Yes please!! I’d take one tomorrow. I’ve a custom build with a detachable AICS mag (for the same reason as the OP - in and out of highseats / vehicles) and the mag system is such a let-down on a nicely put together custom. Rattles, noisy and generally not a patch on my flush-fitting Sako 75 mag!