Worth a read...........

Re-Pete

Says it all, really............a nice group shot of some UKV members as well..............😎

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-leave-remain-tribalism-second-referendum-science-psychology-a8736371.html

Re-Pete

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you the one with the spear ?:P

4 hours ago, Re-Pete said:

What's an "onw"?

Pete

one - edit :wacko:

I agree with the main point of the article. I think on the whole we do stick with what we believe is true/right, and that it's very hard to convince us otherwise. 

Its long been found that we either identify more to the left or to the right (politically), almost from birth. It's something in our makeup, inate in our personality and isn't something we can really change or be convinced of otherwise.

However, the author is hardly writing from a balanced perspective. There are significant pepperings and overtones of a far left, remain viewpoint. I think the writer is essentially trying to have a nuanced dig at anyone who voted leave, suggesting it's almost impossible to convince these people that they're wrong, irrespective of the facts because they're voting with their heart, not their brain...so don't bother trying.

I happen to be conservative by nature but voted to remain. I don't like the writing because the writer is bias and the comments are incredibly smug and self righteous.

And let's not forget that the Brexit debate doesn't really have anything to do with party politics. Many conservatives are remainers, just as many Labourites are leavers. Again, it comes down to whether or not, in our heart of hearts, we feel it's better to remain or leave. That's that.

Quite honestly?  These articles sicken me because they make out all Brexit supporters to be ill educated neanderthals who didn't know what they were voting for and are unwilling to reason.  That voters understood that no one person, let alone anyone putting a cross in the box, understands all the potential and real issues seems to have been conveniently forgotten. 

The princples at stake do matter to many of us, and the economic fallout is to be expected as it's the medium term penalty for most likely longer term gain but UK and EU politics are all like the economy, about short term greed and gain.  With the principles at stake, of course people are emotive and cannot be shaken, because belief in something isn't just Utopian, it's what is at stake as part of our identities and our way of life.  Who we are matters  and the nation has gone to war in the past to maintain those freedoms and identities.  I'm not saying anyone will go to war over Brexit, but as a set of driving principles, most voters have seen nothing but the sneering divisive face of corrupted Euro politics for years all engineered from the earliest of days to lead us to one single point...a Federal Sates of Europe.

There are as many arguments for leaving as for remaining, it's just that the easy option appeals to those who couldn't be arsed with the alternative.  Personally, I think it's immaterial what way people voted as on it's current course, the EU will most likely crash and burn within the next 5 to 10 years anyway and we'll be left pretty much in the same boat.  No-one has a crystal ball, but there's so much speculation and B/S flying around on all sides, you'd be forgiven for thinking otherwise.  People wanted out of the EU and not out of Europe (another distinction conveniently forgotten) nor, ideally out of a common market.  The EU's end goal is full on Federalisation and loss of national identity, whatever claptrap they try to spin now.  Thanks to the likes of Bliar and subsequent politicians, we have been frogmarched right up to the front gates before coming to our senses, so whatever the future holds, I'd hope that it'll be a damned sight more organised and settled (no-matter what some of us would like to think)  than this train crash of a political and economic mess that we find ourselves in now.

" the economic fallout is to be expected as it's the medium term penalty for most likely longer term gain" ??

Good luck with explaining that to a car worker with a mortgage and a couple of kids who's just been laid off, or a farmer will a field of rotting veg that he can't get people to harvest because "we  want our country back"...............

Unbelievable............

Re-Pete

VarmLR:  I've read the article and I can't see the left bias you see. Nowhere in the piece does it suggest Brexit or Remain as a preferred choice.  I think it makes a valid argument that we tend to confirmation bias of what we already believe (Catch 22 makes the point).  It's a fact that Brexit was misrepresented to the people by those politicians with personal axes to grind - evidenced by the current state of affairs.

Brexit is many things to many people,  it's an "act of faith" as there's precious little evidence in favour and plenty of evidence to support the status-quo.  As far as the EU imploding, what do you base that on?  It's more likely that we will have confrontation with Russia and that's a unifying force.

5 minutes ago, Re-Pete said:

" the economic fallout is to be expected as it's the medium term penalty for most likely longer term gain" ??

Good luck with explaining that to a car worker with a mortgage and a couple of kids who's just been laid off, or a farmer will a field of rotting veg that he can't get people to harvest because "we  want our country back"...............

Unbelievable............

Re-Pete

+1  Airbus issues on the radio this morning

Though to be fair, Airbus is more than 1/4 owned by the German, French and Spanish governments. The remaining shares are floating on the stock market.

It is highligh likely that the 'warnings' from Airbus are driven by the key European partners set to loose the most should the U.K. leave the EU.

It is a modern day equivalent of a shot across our bows, urging us to reconsider.

You can shove the free puppies up your jacksie.................but I'm up for the rest   😎

Pete

The Airbus CEO  threatening the UK with job losses and loss of company value, whilst the figures tell a completely different story ?

3 year stock prices, note the devastating effect the Brexit vote had on Airbus shares 😂

Chart

chart.png

4 minutes ago, Reloader54 said:

The Airbus CEO  threatening the UK with job losses and loss of company value, whilst the figures tell a completely different story ?

3 year stock prices, note the devastating effect the Brexit vote had on Airbus shares 😂

Chart

chart.png

I don't think that was his issue.  It's logistics.  Move wing manufacturing into France (Toulouse plant is massive) to ensure seamless production flow.  Having said that, I worked for a global manufacturer that brings bits in from all over the world if the price is right.

" sorry you can't cherry pick,,, you gotta be in or out .:D "

Tweet this to mother Teresa.............please.

Re-Pete

Make america great again ???  Nationalism at it's most toxic.........................not wanted here, thanks...........

https://www.indy100.com/article/maga-hat-boys-covington-catholic-harassing-women-washington-nathan-phillips-twitter-video-8739981

Pete

2 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

Though to be fair, Airbus is more than 1/4 owned by the German, French and Spanish governments. The remaining shares are floating on the stock market.

It is highligh likely that the 'warnings' from Airbus are driven by the key European partners set to loose the most should the U.K. leave the EU.

It is a modern day equivalent of a shot across our bows, urging us to reconsider.

Airbus’s Senior UK Vice President Katherine Bennett let slip a key nugget of information live on Sky News this afternoon as part of their anti-No Deal media blitz. When challenged over whether “the government put you up to this,” after initially deflecting the question, Bennett confirmed that the Government had indeed asked them to up the ante on Project Fear:

“They did say could you make sure that you make clear the potential impact of a No Deal, and we are happy to do that because No Deal is potentially going to be catastrophic for us.”

Well, that settles that then

And this is NOT the only major business that the Government and Project Fear Mark 2 have "encouraged"...............

1 hour ago, Re-Pete said:

" sorry you can't cherry pick,,, you gotta be in or out .:D "

Tweet this to mother Teresaï»ż.............please.

Re-Pete

I have no idea what this means? mother teresa died in '97, [I shall refrain from stating my opinion of her as I wish to avoid getting removed from the forum].

1 hour ago, Re-Pete said:

Make america great again ???  Nationalism at it's most toxic.........................not wanted here, thanks...........

https://www.indy100.com/article/maga-hat-boys-covington-catholic-harassing-women-washington-nathan-phillips-twitter-video-8739981

Pete

have you been lunchtime  drinking? your posting subjects seem a bit random? ;)

Archived