Labradar or magnetospeed

5 hours ago, Scotch_egg said:

Montey are you referring to the optimal charge weight 10 shot load development. 

I know MJR used it and has had excellent results. 

Hi there,

Can I ask what you mean by "the optimal charge weight 10 shot load development", please?

Always keen to learn new methods.

Many thanks. Paul

It's based on velocity flat spot so by definition a constant in velocity node the node may then show again at higher velocity.As I understand it velocity equals pressure?

please take the time to watch 6.5 guys on YouTube load development its in two parts  and Scott Satterlee seams to know his stuff ive watched it and made notes.

ive only used it on my 300wsm with RW70 with 215 Bergers it wasn't great but I had no time to use a different powder and went with the best load using this method the powder was just to temp sensitive at the Europeans with hind sight it showed it wasn't the best choice of powder as barel temp made so much difference.

ive still got so much to learn with load development but this seams like a good place to start that's why I'm interested in what other forem member have done.

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2019 at 8:03 PM, Andrew said:

My only complaint about the magneto speed comes from observing the obvious: The only information you can get is velocity at the muzzle. Even a Chrony can be fired over at different ranges to extract a set of numbers for calculating actual BC. The Lab Radar reads the velocities down range automatically so the process of obtaining on-site BC is much simplified. (If you care about such things) ~Andrew

Andrew

I think the Non US Labradars are less powerful due to regulations so measure V for 30% less distance - may reduce effectiveness in measuring BC - theoretically

I see you are in the US so not an issue for you

I have a Magnetospeed and it gives me an approx 1.5MOA drop in POI on an allegedly stiff Proof Research barrel

I heard that the Labrador interface with an iPhone is buggy - if it was not the Labradar would look very attractive to me

I don't use the interface. It's not too much work for me to reach over and turn it on without my phone handy. I also have a card installed to record results. You are correct though, ours are more powerful. I have tracked bullets to 110 yards. My buddy has tracked them to just short of 150 yards.~Andrew

29 minutes ago, JabaliHunter said:

The rail mount looks good, but by the time you've bought a v3 and imported the mount, you're not far short of a labradar anyway, no? 

Completely agree - if the Labradar is reliable - even better if the app works. I already have the magneto speed but am very interested in the Labradar, ideal for a multiple gun range session. You can use it every session and spot velocity drop offs , effect of temperature etc with POI shift - unlike the magneto speed. My concern is the reports of fragility (see Frank Gali on the hide etc), poor support, finicky operation and a buggy app. Keen to know if there is a trick to make it work. It seems some people love it and some loathe it.

Hi Hobbit

I've used the labradar, my friend was using an iPhone and he had no end of trouble. My phone is Android and had no issues what so ever. It connected every time and all data saved to the phone for perusal later.

The weakest point on the Labradar is the mini USB socket. These are very flimsy and easy to damage......................why on earth couldn't they have used a full-size one?

Pete

4 hours ago, 1in8twist said:

Hi Hobbit

I've used the labradar, my friend was using an iPhone and he had no end of trouble. My phone is Android and had no issues what so ever. It connected every time and all data saved to the phone for perusal later.

I think that about sums up the app - buggy on iphones (I gave up with it after 10 mins on my phone), works fine on Android tab 99% of the time.

Very helpful on the app - and yes, that's a pity. I am iPhone/Ipad so a loss of functionality then.

App aside is the Labradar easy to set up / align and get going?

The magneto speed has been totally reliable for me btw

Mine takes less time to set up than my Chrony(s). After you've set it up once or twice -running through the option screens- it becomes second nature. Takes me about 5 minutes to set my options and verify the aiming of the Doppler.~Andrew

Archived