Labradar or magnetospeed

Something David Tubb uses for ELR is a Magnetospeed attached to his rifle, but not attached to the barrel, so that he can see the recorded MV allowing him make a judgement on whether a downrange impact that is not with the rest of a group (vertical spread only) was a result of an atmospherics change or clearly a difference in MV extreme.

I have a MK Machine Magnetospeed mount.

magneto-square-small.jpg

I now have a Labradar which replaced a Magnetospeed.................I found that having something hanging on the end of the barrel meant that the shots were only good for ascertaining the MV, whereas with the Labradar, if you set it up correctly, you can group as well. The Magnetospeed mounted off barrel would get round this, but it's still attached to the rifle...................

Re-Pete

Knocking something up would be a doddle if you have an Anschutz rail under the fore end of a laminate stock.......

Re-Pete

5 minutes ago, One on top of two said:

I got round the harmonics issues with a £15 barrel tuner from uttings . Job done 👍

Intriguing, how does that work ? Surely removing the Magnetospeed will still upset / alter harmonics and therefore zero ?

Fire your zeroed rifle at your target , place your tuner on barrel , place magneatospeed on , fire rife , then adjust turner until your point of impact matches your point of aim ( mine slides back about 35 mm ) .

it really is simple . 👍

Well I  think it is . 

When your finished messing about take the magneatospeed and the tuner off and everything is back how it was, we have been doing this very same thing with sound mods for donkeys years . 

Clever stuff, and simple.  Although the POI is returned to "zero",  I wonder if the group size is affected ?

Well mine seems to be the same , and the same with three of my other friends who do the same , like I say we have been doing it for years . 

I have to say that if your scope has Zero stop it doesn’t really matter a jot . Your only going to be adjusting at the most a few clicks in windage or elevation. So just bung your magneatospeed on and a quick zero and bang away. And if your scope won’t go back to zero when your done it really wants throwing the the wheelie bin anyway . 

I lately bought a Labradar - after, like the OP, having a particularly infuriating afternoon failing to record, or blatently misrecording, velocities from a painstakingly made up series of loads. Grrr.

The non-rifle-attached Magnetospeed is a very elegant solution to the problem, and excellent if your rifle/s will accept the hardware - but for me the Labradar plonked beside the point ready to chrono without further messing about any rifles I happen to have with me seems handier.

I wish I'd bought one ages ago!

I agree regarding zero adjustment.  What I like about Labradar is I can load develop for precision, check velocity and adjust zero for accuracy at the same time (saving lots of dosh for .338). My understanding is that barrel harmonics are complex and affect precision and therefore we load develop to find a useful 'node' that gives good results.

I wondered if adding a barrel tuning weight may well recover the zero POI but not necessarily achieve a good 'node' and mask load development affects?

My only complaint about the magneto speed comes from observing the obvious: The only information you can get is velocity at the muzzle. Even a Chrony can be fired over at different ranges to extract a set of numbers for calculating actual BC. The Lab Radar reads the velocities down range automatically so the process of obtaining on-site BC is much simplified. (If you care about such things) ~Andrew

I test for the tightest groups with nothing on the barrel at all, only when I've found the batch that comes out best do I attach the Magnetospeed for the velocity. The harmonics etc are already sorted.

I always test rounds with the rifle set up as it would be at the range or in comps i.e. with nothing else attached.

2 hours ago, ezmobile said:

I test for the tightest groups with nothing on the barrel at all, only when I've found the batch that comes out best do I attach the Magnetospeed for the velocity. The harmonics etc are already sorted

+1 on the above.....

What happens if it turns out your tight groups show terrible ES/SD when chrono'd, or aren't you bothered? depends how far you are shooting I guess.

22 hours ago, GT3_richy said:

What happens if it turns out your tight groups show terrible ES/SD when chrono'd, or aren't you bothered? depends how far you are shooting I guess.

I usually make up a batch, take them out on the range starting from 300 yds and take it from there.

Either they work or don't, but from my personal experience they seem to work pretty well. Like the very first batch of 6.5 Creeds I made up for a new rifle. Shot a fairly tight group (0.6 '') at 100 yds on S/Siberia, noted the velocities of 5 of them (very close indeed, +/- 4 fps) and did the ballistics. A few weeks later, during the "Beast from the East" I took a batch to Stickledown on a crappy, awful day, the first shot was a waterline at 9 O'clock, adjusted for wind and put the next 10 straight shots into the 5 or V. and that was at 1,000 yds! So, my method is fairly simple, but it works for me at least.

I was pretty surprised at it myself and got a very "sideways" glance from the NRA RO.

I've got both and have tested both at the same time the readings were almost the same. I find the magneto speed super easy to use but the lab reader does need a proper set up which means make sure you change the bullet wait!

im going to be trying the ten shot ladder test just look up 6.5 guys on YouTube for new loads and refining old ones if it works I'll save a lot of time and barrel life..any one else tyres it ?

Archived