NZ MARS-L

brown dog

They've had some issues and LMT have had to replace 7000 bolt groups, but it's a great rifle

16" barrel and service ammo is Black Hills MK 262 77gn, so ticks all the right boxes

Incidentally I did some velocity tests with 16.5, 18 qnd 20" barrels with the same ammo and on a 5 rd average the 16.5 showed more velocity than the 18"

16.5" 
Hi 2753fps
Lo 2738
Av 2743
SD 7fps
ES 15.5fps

18"
Hi 2757
Lo 2709
Av 2726
SD 19.4
ES 47.7

20"
Hi 2820
Lo 2773
Av 2802
SD 18.5
ES 47.1

• 2 weeks later...

Opps , is it just me , why are there major bolt issues with a Ar15 type rifle in the year 2018 , and why are people , just saying , oh its alright nothing to see move on , what rubbish , sorry its not good enough in my view , they should never have gone with this company , too small &  no real experience in small arms , should have gone to one of the majors , HK , FN or Colt Canada or Steyr  .

The rifle has broken bolts very early into use , its also rusting quite bad as well , and RE the ammo choice 262 , its too expensive for normal use , and word is they are using M193 ammo .

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Opps , is it just me , why are there major bolt issues with a Ar15 type rifle in the year 2018 , and why are people , just saying , oh its alright nothing to see move on , what rubbish , sorry its not good enough in my view , they should never have gone with this company , too small &  no real experience in small arms , should have gone to one of the majors , HK , FN or Colt Canada or Steyr  .

The rifle has broken bolts very early into use , its also rusting quite bad as well , and RE the ammo choice 262 , its too expensive for normal use , and word is they are using M193 ammo .

Why do all the major car manufacturers still have recalls?

Things break and sometimes there are QC issues, that's just the way it is

LMT said there was a hardening issue and they have rectified it under warranty, it was actually firing pins I believe

They stood by their warranty and you can't ask for more than that with a company, can you?

As for major rust, well it's mostly 7075T6 aluminium and plastic

LMT by the way have been around since 1980 and are a good company, the British Army has just bought another 400 Sharpshooter rifles and no problems reported here

The NZ order was by far the largest order they ever had ,  I would have gone to a more established company that makes everything themselves , and would have gone HK433 or FN Scar , but if I wanted a AR15 type rifle would have gone HK 416 , what these have over others is pistons & a suppressor setting , and as a lot of users are using cans .

The SAS use I think the new Colt monolithic uppers from Canada .

The cost of any of these rifles would be similar , something the HK has that most AR s donot have is a safety that operates in all 3 posn , reguard less of the hammer being cocked or not .

I am fully aware of what ARs are made out of , just saying what has been said by the troops , and be aware NZ is very wet country normally .

Archived