Where is everybody?

Three of us had Century to ourselves this morning.....light winds and good light.

Four hours at 600 yds on an electronic target........worked out at £15 each.

Can't understand why it's not more popular...............(I live 50 miles down the M3, and I get here once a fortnight.)

Re-Pete

DSC01198 copy.jpg

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You’re asking on the wrong forum

That range has wind flags and is too “Square-on” (whatever that means) and probably doesn’t support .3000 Norma Lap Mag BR Creedmoor calibres of the week, best to drive straight past it and set up in a field, preferably shooting sideways off a pallet 🤣

that said, I popped in on Sunday morning and there was precisely one target being used at 600, a club were set up for McQueens at 300 and Short Siberia was absolutely heaving, so while the 100/200 Siberia Plinky Plonkers were out en masse, “Full Bore” shooters are their own worst enemy

I can’t really talk though as most of my shooting these days is the monthly CSR matches, and the occasional trip round to test something or grab a zero

Lying there aimlessly shooting away with no real purpose doesn’t do it for me

16 minutes ago, Nick 53 said:

To bloody far ! I stick to my local club Diggle.

You mean people actually LIVE north of the M4??

41 minutes ago, One on top of two said:

Most of us have to go to work 🤪

You have my deepest sympathy ! I spent a lot of years making a lot of money, mostly for other people, and now I'm enjoying "payback time"

Pete

1 hour ago, bradders said:

Lying there aimlessly shooting away with no real purpose doesn’t do it for me 

Shooting away without aiming?...............bet you're popular with the neighbours !!  😎

Pete

15 minutes ago, Re-Pete said:

Shooting away without aiming?...............bet you're popular with the neighbours !!  😎

Pete

Shooting without purpose, competition has purpose

How much Labradaring does a person need to do?

2 minutes ago, MJR said:

320 mile plus round trip takes the edge off. Southerners seem to think Bisley is the be all and end all. It ain't!

It is

It's World famous and is where champions are made, and it's in the South, not some grim North scrap of land

Two of us share 6 rifles, and we're both ex-scientific types..........so lots!! 

There's a great deal of satisfaction (and fun) to be had from trying different combinations of powders and bullets in the quest for that "possible".

I don't feel the need to compete to see if I'm better than anyone else, because I don't care..............

Pete

9 minutes ago, Re-Pete said:

Two of us share 6 rifles, and we're both ex-scientific types..........so lots!! 

There's a great deal of satisfaction (and fun) to be had from trying different combinations of powders and bullets in the quest for that "possible".

I don't feel the need to compete to see if I'm better than anyone else, because I don't care..............

Pete

Well there is that, plus you have access to the best ranges in the world

320 mile round trip? I can see why it's a tiring venture when you're lugging a big Northern chip on your shoulder 

Good for you Pete, 

I too had to work 🙄 .

I get up there quite often these days but all my shooting is mainly club comps, 100 miles each way is a long way for a plinking session, if I lived closer I would do my load work there for sure.

The mileage isn’t really a factor, although accumulative fuel costs may be

My own trip is 75 miles each way, but it’s not the mileage it’s the time sat on the M25 that’s the problem

Still, I’ve shot on many ranges around the UK and nothing comes close to comparing to what we have down here

I wasn't aware you travelled that far,

Alot of the club members I know travel as far and further than me ,there is some more local shooters but I only know a few, it's more a case of finding the time in the busy lives we lead

Ive only ever been there once in 8 years on a week day that was a Friday and i stayed overnight.

8 minutes ago, No i deer said:

I wasn't aware you travelled that far,

Alot of the club members I know travel as far and further than me ,there is some more local shooters but I only know a few, it's more a case of finding the time in the busy lives we lead

Ive only ever been there once in 8 years on a week day that was a Friday and i stayed overnight.

Long way round the M25, only 30 as the crow flies, but a trip across London is a nightmare

On CSR Days we have people coming from Devon, Dorset, Norfolk, the Black country, Derby and Stoke, Cumbria, Swansea, Bristol etc, one guy flies from Aberdeen, we have a group that travels up from Paris, and one on occasion from Copenhagen

On any given weekend you'll see cars with plates from Germany and Holland, as well as France and sometimes Italy

Mileage isn’t a factor, but I’d be inclined to see if MJR is actually a member of the NRA or a club that shoots there?

3 hours ago, Re-Pete said:

Three of us had Century to ourselves this morning.....light winds and good light.

Four hours at 600 yds on an electronic target........worked out at £15 each.

Can't understand why it's not more popular...............(I live 50 miles down the M3, and I get here once a fortnight.)

Re-Pete

I thought they were £15.50 per hour? How did three of you pay £45 for four hours?   Is there a special discount code?

Bisley's bloody brilliant, you lot stay down there and make good use of it - remember it's grim up North and we eat children 😂

As Bradders said, a 25% discount on Tuesdays..................I book a lane (or two) roughly once a fortnight and share with some guys I met at the NRA Shooting club when I started 9 or 10 years ago.

We used to hire a marker, but the electronics are cheaper, and more convenient.

Re-Pete

Mileage isn't really a factor to go to something specific but its a waste to go  plinking and there's Bradders moaning about only 75 miles and the time it takes 😂

I'm lucky to have a lovely 500yd range and several tunnel ranges within 15 miles of home and Diggle is around an hours drive so like I said Bisley ain't the be all and end all.

Each to their own.

9 hours ago, Re-Pete said:

As Bradders said, a 25% discount on Tuesdays..................I book a lane (or two) roughly once a fortnight and share with some guys I met at the NRA Shooting club when I started 9 or 10 years ago.

We used to hire a marker, but the electronics are cheaper, and more convenient.

Re-Pete

Thanks, Wasn't aware

3 hours ago, MJR said:

Mileage isn't really a factor to go to something specific but its a waste to go  plinking and there's Bradders moaning about only 75 miles and the time it takes 😂

I'm lucky to have a lovely 500yd range and several tunnel ranges within 15 miles of home and Diggle is around an hours drive so like I said Bisley ain't the be all and end all.

Each to their own.

Sometimes that 75 miles is 4 hrs, but you're right it is a long way to go for a Plinky Plonker®, such as yourself

That said, there are so many events on offer there that there's no reason to go there just to Plink....or Plonk whatever your preference is

It's good they offer a 25% discount, anything to help the poor needy people of the North, but Derby isn't "The North", it's the Midlands....and that's even worse 🤣🤣