Having only ever used soft bean bag 'tactical' type rear bags, I'd appreciate some advice on which rear sand bag would be best. Ultimately I want greater stability at longer range which I feel the softer bags lack.

I'm leaning towards;

- Lenzi LR

- Edgewood Original with handle

- Edgewood Gater

But advice welcomed on what brand, size, width of bunny ears is best.

My rifle sports an Eliseo tube chassis with their standard bag rider. 1/2" wide, 4" long and reversible, so angled one side or flat the other. Pic attached of what it looks like.

Shooting position will be off bench or on flat grass with shooting mat and bipod. 

Many thanks in advance.

IMG_4964.JPG

Firstly, I'd replace that 'bag rider' with a length of tube - similar to the one immediately above it in your pic. A round bag-rider will settle into any width of bunny ears.

Unless you're shooting off a flat top bench, forget the Gator - great bag (I have one) but wouldn't use it for F Class off grass.

Of the other two, the Edgewood with handle is convenient to carry around but you're not looking for a handbag so go for the Lanzi.

Thank you Vince, I greatly appreciate the input!

To be fair the standard 'rider' is of good quality and stable enough (no dissernable flex/movement) with a bean bag, but I've long suspected that it's not ideal for a rear sandbag.

I'm not an F class shooter so I'd be interested to understand your comment about not using the Gater on the grass. Why is the Gater not suitable but the Lenzi is?

And good to know about the handbags. None needed here 👍

Thanks again.

Hi there

I use an Edgewood mini gator (with the "slick" 3M ears plus manbag handle) for F-class (open) and think it's great (both off of a mat and on grass): https://edgebag.com/collections/rear-bags/products/minigater-with-handle

You'll see lots of mini gators on the firing point, but the Lenzi seems to be the new "one to have". Whilst they lack the handle, the Lenzis are rumored to be cut from Ferrari leather, and so fashion-minded shooters are guaranteed to be green with envy when you pull up next to them with your new sandbag.  

Joking aside, I've seen a Lenzi in the flesh and they are very nice indeed. Gary Costello stocks them (https://shop.marchscopes.co.uk/products/lenzi-rear-bags) and I'll most likely go for a Lenzi if/when I wear out my Edgewood.

Hope this helps!

4 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

Thank you Vince, I greatly appreciate the input!

To be fair the standard 'rider' is of good quality and stable enough (no dissernable flex/movement) with a bean bag, but I've long suspected that it's not ideal for a rear sandbag.

I'm not an F class shooter so I'd be interested to understand your comment about not using the Gater on the grass. Why is the Gater not suitable but the Lenzi is?

And good to know about the handbags. None needed here 👍

Thanks again.

The Gator is a very long bag which gives unrivaled stability on a concrete bench but, on grass? No point.  I love my Gator for benchrest shooting but just use an Edgewood of normal configuration for F Class.  If I didn't have a decent bag of any type, the Lanzi would be my first choice.  I've tried one and it didn't disappoint.  Maybe I'll get one........

The big point with the lenzi bag for me was not the leather ( if any thing it's a minus as I don't think it's going to be great in the rain ) but what it's comes filled with a high density volcanic sand

if I'm wrong on the  description please do rectify  the wait of the thing plus density is what makes it work for me.

How ever using a thick mat is  negating the bag so I intend to have my aim field sports Matt modified. I recommend also making sure your rifle stock sits down on the top of the bag between the ears.

Thanks Monty.

Yeah, the volcanic optimised pre-fill was the big selling point that stood out for me too. I've read getting the correct fill is crucial but quite difficult to do oneself.

I also completely share your fear about the rain though. Good leathercare will be essential. Personally, I couldn't give a monkey where the leather comes from (Farrari is a nouveau riche brand now anyway) but as long as the stitching is very good and holds up, then happy days. 

Interesting your point about the shooting matt, that it doesn't affect/negate the effects of the bag. I hadn't thought about that but makes sense when you think about it. What modification are you making? Like a cut out in the matt, or a hard point stitched into it? 

Cheers for all the comments.

Archived