.20 practical

As so many of you on here reckon it's a great round ,(baldie especially😋) I've decided to have the semi custom fireball i was having done , as a .20 practical now.

Got the stock, hs precision thumbhole, remington action with custom bolt and Jewell trigger, T1 Sassen barrel 10 twist, all ready to be put together ☺.

Just need to decide length of barrel,  which bullets to use, what dies to buy, etc

Like to read your thoughts/experience with this round,will be used for fur and feathered vermin.

Thanks bob.

Pics of stock with rosewood buttpad and action.

IMG_20180731_140808.jpg

IMG_20190113_125827.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great round baldie built mine on rem with border barrel 22". I would do the same Again but lighter barrel. Ai mags.  I prefer sierra 39gr or 32gr. Redding fl Bushing die and Forster 223 seater. Lapua 223 brass. Accurate full blown or reduced loads. Easy to live with and works 

Mines fantastic !       Thanks Bradders 

As he says he built me one using my rem700 223 as a starting platform

went for a sassen 1:10 twist 24" barrel,  i use 39gr Blitzkings & my Load runs them at 3700fps, fast, flat & deadly,  explosive on impact 

using a pred 8 sound mod, the impact sounds loader than the muzzle report.

as for dies : I use the standard 223 capping die, and a Redding 223 bushing die with a .204 expander pin - the bushing will depending on your brass thickness but it's an easy & simple process. The shoulders will need knocking back on first load from 223 but it's not hard to get right. Every thing else stays the same from 223.

honestly the best think I've done as far as a varmint rifle, Bradders is a good guy to deal with & made the process easy.

i use mine with a photon NV & with my setup I zero to 85 yards , this gives me 1" + / - out to 255 yards 

Hi, 

to be really honest, I'd find your own load and work up 

i use 8208 XBR, but it's in short supply.. When it's gone I will move over to CFE223 

use load data for .20 Tactical & go from there...  

I only shoot the 39's as I wanted something for fox that I know would work every time without question - that's not to say that the 32's don't work, I just don't have any experience of them

Ok cheers mate, no worries ,sounds like a good round☺.I will find my own load, with vhitavouri powder hopefully, I use 39grn sbk's in my .204 Ruger so know they do a good job on fox but as this will be a bit multi purpose i fancy getting the 32gr sbk's singing, especially for the smaller vermin.

I use 39gn blitzkings and worked up to 24grns of N133 with CCI400 primers and seated to 1.923" on the ogive using a shooting shed comparator. 

Thats in a 22" 1:11 pacnor super match stainless  and gives me just under the 3700fps mark.

All in a Sako A1 with a piccatiny rail in a macmillan stock and put together by Neil Mckillop.......very nice!

Expecting a Pard NV008 to go on top this week....looking forward to that!

Cheers

Fizz

6 hours ago, fizzbangwhallop said:

I use 39gn blitzkings and worked up to 24grns of N133 with CCI400 primers and seated to 1.923" on the ogive using a shooting shed comparator. 

Thats in a 22" 1:11 pacnor super match stainless  and gives me just under the 3700fps mark.

All in a Sako A1 with a piccatiny rail in a macmillan stock and put together by Neil Mckillop.......very nice!

Expecting a Pard NV008 to go on top this week....looking forward to that!

Cheers

Fizz

Thanks for that fizz, I'm hoping I can get mine shooting well with vn133, as that's what shoots good in my .204 and fireball, be nice to use one powder for all 3. That's a good speed for 24 grns with 39 sbk's and 22" tube, I've decided 23" on mine.

Your rifle sounds nice, I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the pard nv008 , sounds like a good unit for the money!!

Mines using 23 grains of n133 but my 9 twist 25" so more pressure etc than 10/11 twist . SBK 39 is probably the most popular . My original load of 23.3 was slightly hot in summer so reduced . Mine can do half moa @200 no problem  . The last magpie i shot went about 8' into the air !!! Quite spectacular 

Fyi i use a Redding type-S competition die 223rem - with 20 cal bushing of course . A 223 Redding shoulder bump die - in conjunction with Redding competition shell holder set , rcbs competition bullet seating die 223 . You may not have an issue but i had to use a vld inside  neck de-burrer , the std de-burrer shaved off a small ring off the bullets when seating the bullets . Which if not noticed could work into the throat etc - atb 

1 hour ago, gunner said:

Fyi i use a Redding type-S competition die 223rem - with 20 cal bushing of course . A 223 Redding shoulder bump die - in conjunction with Redding competition shell holder set , rcbs competition bullet seating die 223 . You may not have an issue but i had to use a vld inside  neck de-burrer , the std de-burrer shaved off a small ring off the bullets when seating the bullets . Which if not noticed could work into the throat etc - atb 

Cheers for that gunner, I've not looked into the dies yet so that's good info,will order some lapua cases next week for a start👍

2 hours ago, justin credible said:

+1 for n133 and the 39 gr blitz. Accuracy node should be somewhere between 23-24 gr. for 3700-3800fps and very satisfying results on magpies.  

Thanks for that JC👍.

Anyone using vn133 with 32grn sbk's ?

A mate has given me 235 fed once fired cases,and has a redding 223 bushing die I can borrow,which will save some pennies😀at the moment , just need to buy bushings now. So measured the outside/inside of necks, the 204 bullet + brass neck thickness and minus 3 to 4 thou which gives me a bushing size of .228 to finish with .

What are you chaps doing to get them to finished size, one or two steps down from 223 sized neck, I'm thinking  .238 then .228 but wondering if I'd get there ok in one go, .249 to .228 ??

Mine is also fantastic thanks Mark.!

Me and treetop had the twins built by Mark last year and i just wish I'd moved to the practical years ago,super fast super flat and flawlessly accurate.

Obviously mine is the nicer out of the 2 but treetop won't admit that.!!

Both built on remington 700 and identical barrel length/make/twist

Only difference is paint finish.

You won't be disappointed with the caliber.

Bob have a look on accurate shooter / 6mmbr site - theres a 20 practical section on forming / sizing etc .. thats the steps i followed and once set up its a doddle 

1 hour ago, gunner said:

Bob have a look on accurate shooter / 6mmbr site - theres a 20 practical section on forming / sizing etc .. thats the steps i followed and once set up its a doddle 

Thanks for reminding me of that gunner, I had read it before awhile ago,but didn't stay in the old brain lol, re read and now it's made my mind up to step down twice from a .223 sized case👍

On 1/13/2019 at 11:20 PM, treetop said:

Hi, 

to be really honest, I'd find your own load and work up 

i use 8208 XBR, but it's in short supply.. When it's gone I will move over to CFE223 

use load data for .20 Tactical & go from there...  

I only shoot the 39's as I wanted something for fox that I know would work every time without question - that's not to say that the 32's don't work, I just don't have any experience of them

Hi Treetop,

FYI, I think CFE223 is going to be out of reach once REACH restrictions kick in. I'd hate for you to develop a load with it, only to find its unobtainable.

On 22 January 2019 at 10:14 PM, Bangbangman said:

Hi Treetop,

FYI, I think CFE223 is going to be out of reach once REACH restrictions kick in. I'd hate for you to develop a load with it, only to find its unobtainable.

XBR isn't , that why I said I would move to CFE223....

homework done well in advance 😜