Trigger stick, worth the bother/expense?

At the moment I'm using a home-fettled 'two garden sticks with a bit of string' bipod which works fairly well. I have to be careful not to clang them together (they're the plastic-covered ally ones from Wilko and I keep meaning to wrap bits of foam around the bottom) but having used them for a year or so I've got a system that works. They're fine for standing shots and if I slide the paracord down they work for sitting shots too, not bad for a fiver. The only downside is that they form a bipod not a tripod but out to 100 yards which pretty much all of my shots that's okay providing I'm not puffing like a train after a long yomp uphill.

'GET ON WITH IT!'

So here's the question. Is a trigger stick worth the investment?

No, just get TWO more garden canes, make another bipod then attach the legs of bipod one to the legs of the other and you then have the cheapest and most stable rifle rest you could wish for, aka monkey sticks

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/threads/monkey-sticks.63360/

I use a Manfrotto tripod with arca Swiss rails on my rifles, to be honest it's the best thing I've ever used as far as sticks go, heavier than most but far more stable & I can let go of the rifle and it won't move. I use mine all the time & would never go back to using anything else.

3 hours ago, treetop said:

I use a Manfrotto tripod with arca Swiss rails on my rifles, to be honest it's the best thing I've ever used as far as sticks go, heavier than most but far more stable & I can let go of the rifle and it won't move. I use mine all the time & would never go back to using anything else.

What do you shoot and where?~Andrew

10 hours ago, srvet said:

No, just get TWO more garden canes, make another bipod then attach the legs of bipod one to the legs of the other and you then have the cheapest and most stable rifle rest you could wish for, aka monkey sticks

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/threads/monkey-sticks.63360/

A budget option but too restrictive, viperflex quad sticks are the best on the market and allow tracking/last minute adjustment

48 minutes ago, lapua said:

A budget option but too restrictive, viperflex quad sticks are the best on the market and allow tracking/last minute adjustment

But el cheapo monkey sticks allow the OP to try the quad stick concept for very little ££

i have been using them for almost 20 years and am just contemplating viper Styx 

1 minute ago, srvet said:

But el cheapo monkey sticks allow the OP to try the quad stick concept for very little ££

i have been using them for almost 20 years and am just contemplating viper Styx 

Do it, you wont look back.

I made El cheapo quad-sticks to try- loved the stability and portability. 

I subsequently bought some wooden sticks off Limulus on Stalking Directory. 

IMG-5333.jpg

They are very compact when closed and there is a small learning curve when it comes to opening them right and quietly. 

Panning is achieved by lifting one or other side and rotating around the other. 

I don't like to feel cluttered with kit when stalking and these just feel like a staff (and can be used as one because the poles have a rounded outer surface and sit together flush) when closed. Much cheaper than the high-tech options.

There is one of my rifles on it.

all my rifles have rails fitted now & can just clip in / out 

just slacken the knob and it moves anywhere at any angle, tighten to lock in place. Can accommodate any height from prone to standing 

i fitted a sling on mine and easily carried across shoulders, no effort.

image.jpeg

I use Southwick quad sticks:

https://youtu.be/Cobad2VfWJs

My attitude is: if you’re going to the trouble of carrying all that palaver, why limit yourself to supporting just the front of the rifle?

Quad sticks needn’t weigh any more than a trigger stick, yet you get the extra stability of the buttstock being cradled.

I don’t go shooting without them.

maximus otter

Been using primos sticks mark two for over two years now in all weather every Wednesday for 3 to 4 hours and a full day once a month at another farm , all ok up to now . Also using their cradle mount so can leave the rifle ready while scanning withe the thermal , although this adds some height and weight to the trigger grip and makes it a bit wobbly so you need to adjust the yokes to get point of balance over the trigger handle . Looking into a system more like treetops for the future .

9 hours ago, Bangbangman said:

I made El cheapo quad-sticks to try- loved the stability and portability. 

I subsequently bought some wooden sticks off Limulus on Stalking Directory. 

IMG-5333.jpg

They are very compact when closed and there is a small learning curve when it comes to opening them right and quietly. 

Panning is achieved by lifting one or other side and rotating around the other. 

I don't like to feel cluttered with kit when stalking and these just feel like a staff (and can be used as one because the poles have a rounded outer surface and sit together flush) when closed. Much cheaper than the high-tech options.

Is that a 45/70?? How does it fare for stalking?

I understand the logic behind quadsticks (or even quintsticks in lapua's post) but they really do look complicated. I think I'll hold off until I can try some out somewhere, at a dealer or show perhaps.

Thanks for the replies, lots of food for thought.

On 1/11/2019 at 6:03 PM, Paul Cat said:

So here's the question. Is a trigger stick worth the investment?

No had one for a week then ebay'd it. Just not stable enough.

Either "Manfrotto with a Hog Saddle" idea (great for setting up a position for standing sitting kneeling and "too high" prone, nice rear support off a fence, not exactly speedy if just wandering about, bit heavy) or the 4 stick type idea (better for quick shots when stalking, nice and stable, less flexible but much lighter).

20 hours ago, srvet said:

Is that a 45/70?? How does it fare for stalking?

Yes.

Works very well for lowland/woodland stalking.

On 1/19/2019 at 11:35 AM, Paul Cat said:

BushWear just emailed me with details of their new 4-leg stick. I'm not paranoid but their timing...

Should I be worried about the emails advertising penis enlargement then??!

Archived