Pard NV 007 for daylight recording - any good?

Dodder

Gents,

Am seriously considering getting one of these for use off rifle as a spotter and on rifle for pest control.  However, I would also like to use it for long range daytime vermin control as a recording device to record my shooting, but have yet to see any mention on any posts of this facility.  Does anyone know if it is suitable for this, what the results are likely to be like and will it possibly affect accuracy at long-ish (200yd) ranges?

I look forward to hearing your opinions - thanks.

It records in full HD so, with it fitted to your riflescope you can record whatever you see through the scope, irrespective of scope magnification

Since the add-on is simply looking at your scope reticle and presuming your scope is zeroed, there will be absolutely no effect on accuracy

Cheers

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Borrowed a Pard 007 to try. Had it on my .22lr and had fun recording shooting out to 300m. Does a good job of recording and does not affect zero, but does affect you position behind the rifle which could affect accuracy. The quality of recording is limited by scope quality. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Paul Cat said:

I assume so. Better quality scope = better image. No?

Quite the opposite oddly enough , higher quality scopes dont tend to work well with add on NV due to lens coatings, plus do you want a NV unit that close to your eye ? , I`ve never liked add on`s , buy a dedicated unit.

Buy a Photon and be very happy.

On 1/19/2019 at 9:47 AM, palo said:

Would these units work better with a high end scope like Zeiss for daytime recording ? 

For daytime use - yes

If you want to use it as an NV unit, then no - none of the top end scopes work well with IR illumination and none of them parallax down below 50m.

Cheers

Bruce

I will go against Phoenix last post 

having seen the footage recorded and uploaded to Instagram by practical precision on a IOR scope with the 007 add on it looks good. 

If any one wants to send me a 007 to try on Schmidt PM2 I will record footage and share. We at UKV aren’t sponsored. It doesn’t help members. 

I fitted a PARD NV007 to an S&B 3-12x50 ffp scope  last week.

it did not have any parallax adjustment

The image was just about usable out to around 100 yards, but only at x3 magnification.

Anything much above that was pretty terrible.

Cheers

Bruce

Following, as I have a have a similar spec SFP scope but was told that parallax was a must and the better the glass ( more coatings) the worse the image is hence many people are getting on well with the cheaper scopes.

Sorry read the other posts now. Looks like parallax is a must for night time use 

I also go against the theory that cheaper scopes are better. I’ve used add ons with laser and ir illuminators on high end schmidts, swarovskis and zeiss’. Its not the glass that matters its the ability to px lower. Give me a high end scope anytime.

High end scopes hunting scopes are primarily sold on their improved ability to give a usable sight picture at dawn and dusk.

Good glass is very important, but it's lens coatings that give these scopes their edge at dawn and dusk.

At those times of day, blue light predominates and the coatings used are designed to optimise the passage from light at the blue end of the spectrum.

Because they are optimised for blue light,  these coatings have the down side of not passing infra red light very well.

It's their poor performance in passing the IR light used with all digital NV kit, along with their lack of low parallax adjustment that can often make top end scopes perform less well than cheaper scopes

Cheers

Bruce

• 2 months later...

Success with addons and more expensive scopes has always been pretty hit and miss personally. The excellent high power laser illuminators available now (e.g. Solaris SRX and Sirius XTL) make using an expensive scope more likely to be successful I think, buts its still a bit of a lottery, the lack of very short range parallax on many scopes is one issue regardless of coatings. I've always had good results with my IOR Recon and a Ward addon, same with the PARD on the IOR, X6i, Stryker and Bushnell Elite Tacs.

On 2/2/2019 at 10:34 PM, Scotch_egg said:

If anyone wants to send me a 007 to try on Schmidt PM2 I will record footage and share. We at UKV aren’t sponsored. It doesn’t help members. 

If you let me know the diameter of the eye piece on the PM2 you can have a borrow of mine as its redundant at the moment, pm me.

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2019 at 11:20 PM, GT3_richy said:

Success with addons and more expensive scopes has always been pretty hit and miss personally. The excellent high power laser illuminators available now (e.g. Solaris SRX and Sirius XTL) make using an expensive scope more likely to be successful I think, buts its still a bit of a lottery, the lack of very short range parallax on many scopes is one issue regardless of coatings. I've always had good results with my IOR Recon and a Ward addon, same with the PARD on the IOR, X6i, Stryker and Bushnell Elite Tacs.

If you let me know the diameter of the eye piece on the PM2 you can have a borrow of mine as its redundant at the moment, pm me.

Would this work with a Meopta 6x42 fixed

The Pard 007 works on a couple of my March scopes with no issues. They do though ‘focus’ down to about 5m ‘nude’ (even on 40x in one case).

Re. Coatings on lenses. Different makers obviously have different techniques and coatings. When you get to a certain quality of scope I think this is what makes one scope ‘better’ than another for a particular person - what you’re eyes like. For a couple of years I’ve help out on an optics stand at the IWA where people can take scope A and compare it to scope B looking at outside targets. There are in most cases no clear winners (excuse the pun) between a couple of makes but I can say there are a couple of more frequent looses.

Terry