Application of FAC and shotgun license

Humphrey106

I have recently applied for both my FAC and shotgun license. I've heard from friends and family that it's now a waiting game and shouldn't expect to hear anything back anytime soon.

Is there anyway that I can keep track of the application to see how it's coming along?

Also, is it a bit of a postcode lottery in terms of speed of granting (or not granting) the license?

It depends where you are.

Here in Lincolnshire the system is online so you can log into your account to see how things are progressing.

If your area is not online then you can phone your licensing department and ask them but don't pester as that will just slow things down.

Essentially, wherever you are, once they receive your application, they'll cash your cheque etc. Then they'll contact your doctor to ask if you suffer from any appropriate conditions. At this point you may hear from your doctor demanding money for this report. In the meantime, they'll check to see if you have a criminal record and contact your referees. If all is good at this point then you'll hear from your FLO/FEO to arrange an interview date. Once that is done and they've decided you and your security arrangements are OK, they'll issue your certificates.

Expect a minimum of 4 weeks and a typical maximum of 6 months. 

Tell us where you are and other members from that area can give you a better estimate of how long it's likely to be.

Actually, looking at it, it doesn't look as though Gloucestershire have gone fully online yet. It seems you can only download forms to fill in manually.

I know Lincolnshire were the first to go paperless but we've had that for nearly two years, so I thought everyone else had gone online too but apparently not.

• 3 months later...

Just to resurrect an old thread. I applied for my FAC in mid December, here we are in April and I still haven't heard anything.

I have phoned my local licensing authority (Surrey) and they confirmed I'm in the queue. Apparently they have now merged with Sussex and are a bit snowed under!

This is why i tell any friends that are thinking of doing it - to do it now/asap as you will be waiting months etc , it doesn't seem to sink in lol - i tried ...

58 minutes ago, MrCetirizine said:

My first grant was 9 months. Unfortunately, there's no maximum time they must meet.

I hope it's quicker than that! The existing shotgun part will have expired by then.

• 2 months later...
On 4/7/2019 at 2:19 PM, martin_b said:

I hope it's quicker than that! The existing shotgun part will have expired by then.

Mine (from Surrey) took a couple of days short of 6 Months.