Accuracy Int AT - advice required

Poikilothermic

Is it worth getting the AI muzzle brake and suppressor, or do I just get a plain barrel threaded?

Bit of an open question I know but I'm in the market for an AT. The price of the brake / suppressor adds quite a bit to the overall cost. I'd like to keep the set up all AI but is it worth it? Or maybe it's a case of buy once - cry once...

Any experience or advice would be appreciated 

The AI brake is excellent, and also accepts the moderator on a l/h thread [which tightens, rather than loosens ]

All AI mods are bored for .338, regardless of calibre/proof stamp. This means the .338 case is the most efficient down the mod, the .308 not as much.

However, the mod is still very efficient, and a nice thing to have.

If the barrel is unthreaded, get it done in the std AI thread, which is M18 x 1.5. That then gives you the option of either the AI brake/Mod, or another brand, such as the Jet-z, and fit direct to the barrel. The AI thread is adopted by most of the big moderator makers.

I have both set up's and both are great.

One thing I have found with the AI system though, is that the POI doesn't alter with the mod on, or off, and that is a huge bonus.

baldie - thank you for the reply. Good point on getting the M18 x 1.5 thread

If I can throw another question out there - I think I'll go for the 20" barrel option. Most of my shooting is <300m with the occasional competition at 600m. I'm assuming the shorter barrel will have no issue with these ranges?

I’ll be a little controversial having had a few but I wouldn’t bother with the AI brake or mod. I don’t particularly rate either and think there are better options. 

My last AI barrel was 20”. It was fine and will fit your needs but I was much happier when I swapped it out for a custom barrel. 

Thanks TJC.

Nearly all my shooting is on range. I currently use a Jet Z on an AE Mk1. I don't use it without the mod and I couldn't see myself leaving off the mod to use just a brake.

That said, I saw two AI's on the range yesterday - both had the AI brake / suppressor. It just finishes off the rifles having the factory supplied brake / mod.

A 20" 308 with a Brake, certainly wont impress the shooters either side of you on the range!

Bin the idea of a Brake and just use a decent mod,  but keep the thread standard AI 18x1.5 , SL6 or over the barrel 

if you want to keep it compact..........

One thing to remember though if you use an ASE , when its screwed on you will still have a small section of spigot

showing, and as this is bright stainless it does show up, 

Enjoy the AT , 

Best

Rifle ranges seem to be full of snowflakes these days.

Guns have a tendency to go bang, which might hurt their ears...poor things.

Nasty muzzle brake.....

"both had the AI brake / suppressor. It just finishes off the rifles" ...........Oooow............how snowflake is that?

No problem with muzzle brakes, as long as they're far enough away not to cover one side of my face with divots.............

Pete

I have used the old & new AI tac brakes with a couple of different cans , and althou the theory of LH thread keeping the can ON , seems right in theory , I have not found it works totally , I think it depends on the weight & design of the can , have had BT cans work loose on AI brakes before , the only cans that have stayed ON for me are lighter weight cans , also the new tapered brake when used with a spaced 2 o- ring seal designed can like ODLs 3D printed can works very well.

BUT I would MUCH rather have a better locking ratchet designed brake/can interface , like ODL uses in their smaller models 223/308 AR designs , as I feel this is a more solid dependable solution , and BT , AU have similar models , however most are in made for semi auto 223/308 rifles , and not larger cals or for bolt guns .

2 hours ago, baldie said:

Nasty muzzle brake.....

One of the AI's on Sunday was a .338 ( rare as hens' teeth around here) and it was seriously loud with the brake, but very impressive! The other was a 300 Win Mag so no slouch decibel-wise either.

I've nothing against brakes but I'd rather not be on the firing point beside one given the option.

1 hour ago, Re-Pete said:

"both had the AI brake / suppressor. It just finishes off the rifles" ...........Oooow............how snowflake is that?

No problem with muzzle brakes, as long as they're far enough away not to cover one side of my face with divots.............

Pete

Not trying to sound flaky, probably phrased it wrong but I really like the look of AI rifles and I think the AI brake / suppressor is a good design.

Appreciate the replies.

try the 26" barrel as it will get you a bit more speed and if shooting from fox holes the end of barrel and brake is over the edge so doesnt give much blast ,most of my mates are glad to see me put the mod on and its very quiet . worst shoot i had was with a fella next to me with a straight pull short barrel AR type 223 with brake fitted ,every shot was a slap to the face feeling until i moved further back than my normal position . have a look on the forum as i have posted in the past about powder recipes for 308 in my AT and also about cleaning the mod and 'O' -ring. 

cheers Rich 

Yep, 

i used a SL7 338 mod on a 308,260 worked fine, but obviously if your a man, you wont use a brake or a mod,

and deffo remove that lady pod🙄....... 

On 1/8/2019 at 12:48 PM, Richiew said:

try the 26" barrel as it will get you a bit more speed and if shooting from fox holes the end of barrel and brake is over the edge so doesnt give much blast ,most of my mates are glad to see me put the mod on and its very quiet . worst shoot i had was with a fella next to me with a straight pull short barrel AR type 223 with brake fitted ,every shot was a slap to the face feeling until i moved further back than my normal position . have a look on the forum as i have posted in the past about powder recipes for 308 in my AT and also about cleaning the mod and 'O' -ring. 

cheers Rich 

You moved? 

Why didn't you ask him to move?

I have an AT with 26" barrel in .308 and use it with an AI brake and a PES mod, the brake is only used for McQueens as the mod comes loose during a rapid fire. As much as I don't like being on the firing point when brakes are being used, its tolerable when you have one lane between shooters, which is the case at Bisley.

POI didn't change when swapping between brake and mod, making it nice and easy to swop between the two.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an AI AT with muzzle brake and I have never had any complaints from shooters either side of me. In my opinion the muzzle brake  finishes off the look of an AI, however, that is very subjective.

I too like the muzzle brakes,it tames the recoil and keeps you on the target much better than mod or nothing at all, it works best when you shoot quick details so your instantly ready for the next shot,there not louder at all its just the blast directed sideways or backwards on an angle towards the lanes at each sides,the blast don't bother, most members in a club I am in use muzzle brakes.

There are more than likely more efficient muzzle brakes than the AI brake. 

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Poikilothermic said:

Thanks for the replies and advice.

I don't like shooting without a mod if I can help it, and don't think I'd get much use from a brake.

I've gone and ordered an AT with an M18x1 to suit my existing mod. Playing waiting game now...

Good for you, AI barrels are so stiff they defy physics as while hanging a weight on any other barrel would alter the POI, screwing a 1lb+ weight onto the end of your AI barrel doesn’t deflect the poi one little bit...even though they use exactly the same blanks from Sassen and  Walther everyone else does,  but do deflect.....

I wonder what their secret is

The “snowflakes” and muzzle brakes comment is interesting...heaven forbid anyone mention a certain type of rifle wasn’t suitable for a specific discipline 🤔 🤣

Archived