UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
Sign in to follow this  
Richiew

Accuracy international stock weight ?

Looking for info on how heavy is the AT stock to add to a rem action , already have a genuine At in 308 and would like a version in 223 but not if the combo ends up the same weight as would like it to be a bit lighter for walking the fields with .

cheers 

Im not sure of the weight but i had an 223 ackley custom built on a stainless r700 , long 29" barrel , 8 twist but it was rediculous with a NXS on top of that . Never again lol - choose wisely mate . 

An AICS stock is over 4lb and i think an AI stock is nearer 5lb if my memory serves me right, the AT maybe lighter from less plastic.

Just weighed the rcs2 i have for sale, its 4.6 lb with sling and single shot sled. My aics folder was the same or there about. The rcs2 would work with a t3 action in .223

Gary, 

I had a chap in a while ago for a rebarrel in .223, on a T3.He had one of these stocks, and no matter what i did with it, it would not feed in .223. I dropped a 308 barrelled action into it, and it worked perfectly. The .223 was too short a case to hit the mouth of the chamber, before the feed lips let go of the rear. In fairness to the chassis, I think it was designed for larger cases, and before the advent of .223 mags for AICS systems. he ended up changing the stock. he had had no end of feed problems from day 1 in .223.

Hi lads 

thanks for the info ,might change my ideas . I was looking to standardise my stocks as find the thumb holes very comfy .

1 hour ago, baldie said:

Gary, 

I had a chap in a while ago for a rebarrel in .223, on a T3.He had one of these stocks, and no matter what i did with it, it would not feed in .223. I dropped a 308 barrelled action into it, and it worked perfectly. The .223 was too short a case to hit the mouth of the chamber, before the feed lips let go of the rear. In fairness to the chassis, I think it was designed for larger cases, and before the advent of .223 mags for AICS systems. he ended up changing the stock. he had had no end of feed problems from day 1 in .223.

That may be your experience dave but mine is different. I’ve had .223 and .308 feeding from aics mags into different t3’s in this stock. The instructions for the chassis confirm it works with .223 (reccomends minor tweak to mags and bolt stop) and a quick google finds posts on snipershide confirming the same. Perhaps your guy had a pup or something. Anyhow, way off topic and not my thread so i guess no harm done. Thanks for pointing it out. If you want a copy of the instructions i can email them to you incase you have this problem again.

Perhaps it was a pup, but it would not work, and was never going to work. The action was in the wrong place in relation to the mag, and the jump to the bore was too great.

To the original poster, i'll weigh an AT stock today, if I get a minute.

Cheers baldie for info , was also looking at the tikka A1 in 223 but would prefer the AI grip , seen a version called the nimrod in 223 on sporting services web with AI stock .

regards Richie 

Just weighed one. Without a mag, the fixed model is 2173 grammes [all the scale weighs in ]

If you want one, I have Tan or green in stock, at £735.

Hi baldie 

thanks for the weight , poss looking at 8 to 10 pounds all up  , wil check other makes   Then get in touch. Thanks